I have just had my tonsills out 4 days ago, I am a 17 year old male. I can honestly say its the worse pain I've ever endured (so far). The pain after the first 1-3 hours after surgery was easy. It just seems to become progressively worse each day. The mornings are by far the worst. Any body got any tips on how to ease pain, the bag of medication barely even touches it?? I spent all last night trying not to got to sleep by playing the guitar because I dread waking up with a worse pain in the morning. When will the pain start to reduce??

I am a 25 year old female, I had my tonsils taken out 4 days ago. I woke up this morning with the worst pain i have ever experienced.... not only does my throat feel like i have a large rock wedged in it, my ears feel like they may explode at any second. My jaw aches and my bottom teeth feel like i have been grinding them like crazy (im not usually a grinder), as well as having the biggest headache known to man around the back of my neck and above my eyes. Is all of this normal???
My 5 year old son had his taken out a few months ago and he sure didn't say or show any signs of being in such pain!

I'm 29 male and I had my tonsils out, septum and turbinates removed at the same time on 8-26-11. After the surgery it only hurt when I'd swallow, you get strong pain killers tho which make it up for it, lol. Make sure whatever you get is over 5...meaning if its vicodin, 7.5mg pills not 5mg, and 1-2 as/if needed the same dosage as norco 10. Percocet you can take 1 at a time. Lortab is good to sip on when u wake up w pain in the middle of the nite /w a cup of water near by to chase it down

lorcet: 5/500, 7.5/500, and 10/650
lortab: 5/500 and 7.5/500
vicodin: 5/500, 7.5/750, 10/660

So you want the least tylenol/asap cuz it messes up ur liver. Get one w/ 7.5 preferably or over, and least  amount of apap. They put that in there as a deterrent because if you chug it you'll really damage ur liver. So try and keep the apap down, thats also y norco would be better than vicodin, norco=less apap more hydrocodone. I want my liver. Also no aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc cuz they thin ur blood and can make bleed or bleed worse. Thats why all the pain killers are acetaminophen.

After you got your painkiller you'll be cool. Its like having to swallow when you had bad tonsillitis or mono if I remember mono correctly...  In England they make you eat after surgery. You have to eat a piece of toast and some stuff. Toast! And in the U.S. all want jell-o...  Thats up to you. I'd wait a week, lol. I luv jello. I also lost abt 15 pounds and kinda don't crave
 food as much now. It trained me. haha

The worst part is how you worry about it pre surgery like a lot of you are and I was, I have GAD and panic disorder, but I'm a man so I tried to be chill about it. lol Try not to think about it, its 5 weeks and I feel fine and have felt fine for weeks. 2 weeks and you'll be like new. Dude put some stuff in the iv i fell asleep and woke up w a lil sore throat and a tending nurse. Remember, I had septum done up too. I had a bad headache tho, but I think that was just me, I get em.. You go there and leave urself in their hands, and you'll leave and go home and any stitches would probably dissolve in a few days.
As far as the nose, not much pain, I'd give that around a week to be betr and few months for complete healing. The worst part was the tampons they stick up ur nose for 1-3 days... things made my eyes water and wasnt comfortable but not painful. Then you have to go back after a week and the Dr. may have to pull out any lil scabs deep in ur nose. He pulled something thru the right side with some big tweezers and it was like he unblocked pipe, I could immediately breath great, was uncomfortable not painful. So worth it. Don't need much painkillers for that...make sure to use saline spray a few times a day.
Good luck

I am a 37 yo male and just had my tonsillectomy yesterday.  So far it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The surgery went very smoothly (I got an awesome surgeon) and other than a little dizziness and sore throat, I felt fine afterwards.  When I got home, I started on the pain meds right away (hyrdocodone) and kept drinking cold water.  I also had a protein shake for the extra calories and nutrients.   I was curious so used a flash light to take a look at my tonsils.  My uvula was pretty swollen, which was kinda freaky looking, but the scars where my tonsils used to be look didn't look so bad.  My boyfriend came over to hang out and take care of me, also brought me flowers and some soup :)  

Other than being a little uncomfortable to swallow, my throat felt OK.  It just feels like a typical sore throat basically.  I know that it will probably get worse in next few days, so I'm trying not to be lulled into a false sense of complacency.  Last night's sleep was decent, definitely a little disturbed.  I woke up several times, usually from snoring I think.  I normally don't snore much, so I assume this is due to the swollen uvula.  It definitely feels like there's some extra blockage back there.  Anyways, so far not too bad!  I will write again in the next fews with an update.

i just had my tonsils and adenoids removed and I'm 13 . what days were the most painful for u ? I'm on day four and it hurt in the morning but now I'm eating stuff like pop corn and loooottttsssss of salt . did it hurt a lot more after day 4 ?

40 year old male in US.  Had mine out 3 weeks ago.  Day 6 I was spewing blood like a faucet turned on high.  Lost 1.5 pints (the doctor thinks, maybe more) and said another few minutes and I'd have been dead.  Rushed to the ER and got cauterized again.  Sucked starting from scratch again, but honestly the pain wasn't too bad as long as the meds were in me.  Sitting around, not being able to do anything for my wife & kids was the worst part I guess. 

Now I'm just trying to get used to swallowing normally again.  Water comes out my nose a lot when I drink now, and food still gets stuck in the pockets where the tonsils used to be, but after getting strep 5 times a year I think this will be worth it.  Good luck everyone!

I am sitting here at the beginning of day 3 after my Tonsillectomy. I sleep sitting up via the arm of our couch here that is pretty much the most comfortable way that does not give me the choking feeling. I woke up this morning with a cough and ear pain which kind of sucks but I knew it was coming thx to the many threads I have read. I am a 26 yr old male and currently I am only eating soup, slightly watered down mash potatoes, and I am drinking Gatorade and slim fast mixed with soy milk for a little bit of calories. Also I constantly have water and Luigi's real Italian ice in my hands when I'm awake...and I mean so much that I couldn't tell you how much I drink water and eat my Italian ice because its literally an all day affair. I do use mouthwash 3 or 4 times a day (the non alcoholic for dry mouths kind) but everything I do I do softly and light because I try not to irritate my throat to much. I do talk as well but not very much. We will see how this recovery process goes but I'm just trying not to irritate the throat to where it bleeds. Pain meds are a god send as well. I usually wait 6 hours instead of the 4 but that is just me. Also when I eat mashed potatoes and soups it is luke warm at best.

So day 3 begins the cough, and the ear pain so this is all new for me and I would like to say thx to all the folks that posted positive as well as negative things. I just recommend if you are on here looking for advice to make sure you read slightly more positive posts as well as the bad ones..........this sucks but I have been struggling with my tonsils for the last 3-4 years and as I start a new job after this healing process I just wanted them gone....if anyone has any questions let me know. I will post again in a few days to update things.

I had my surgery on February 1,2013. I feel like there is something in the back of my throat. It has me gagging and vomiting. I've had my follow up appointment. My doctor said another month and a half of healing. Shouldn't my scabs fallen off already. This thing has me perplexed at the moment. Please someone can you tell me if this is normal or do I need to call my doctor right away. Nerve wracking at this point. I have never felt so much pain in my life. Glad that part is over. Just wish this part ends soon

I'm 17 and got my tonsils out last week Day 1: everything was ticcity boo, and was eating a tuna sandwhich half an hour after my op. Day 2 & 3: pain was getting worse and I was living off of milkshakes and olives Day 4, 5 & 6: excruciating pain in the morning but it gets better throughout the day. I would avoid mash potato, I had it for dinner and it got stuck in my wounds I'm now on day 7: I'm dying. DON'T GET YOUR TONSILS REMOVED. You will regret it for the rest of your life. I've attempted eating cold baked beans but can't even eat one, I just gag as it gets stuck.

Im 23/Female an I just had my tonsillectomy this morning and from what I've read on here I've got a painful recovery ahead..... My doctor have me liquid pain reliever (hydocodone/acetaminophen ) it burns going down like so many have said but with me it kicks in pretty quick and I'm taking it every 4 hours as prescribed even though I don't want to but I know I'll regret it if I don't.....and my nurse in recovery was very nice even though I tried wrestling with them in the process of waking up( which I don't remember)

It's not that bad. I'm on day 10 and personally days 4 and 5 mostly because I did it over thanksgiving :( Just make sure to keep drinking water no matter what or it will just get worse! Good luck :)

I'm day 3 in and I'm not doing alright I'm constipated, I have a yeast infection from the antibiotics and of course there's the pain I feel like pulling my hair out I'm ready for this to be over with

Day 1: ate chicken Alfredo... Olive Garden. Mostly stayed at home and ate a bunch of ice. Pain: 4 Day 2: ate cup of noodles. Fried chicken. Again just stayed at home. I ate mostly noodles. Pain: 5 Day 3: ate cup of noodles again. And some chicken noodle soup. Pain: 5.5 Day 4: cup of noodles. Chicken noodle soup. I went out for a bit but i got nauseous and had to go back home. Honestly the pain medication will make you nauseous... Just stay home. Pain: 5.5 Day 5: cup of noodles, chicken noodle soup... And a bunch of Popsicles... I also ate some colslaw... Mashed potatoes, and prime rib.. It was Christmas Eve! It looked so good. I think my throat decided to punish me. The coleslaw was okay but the mashed potatoes kind of burned my throat. Prime rib... So so good but so so Painful. Pain: 7 Day 6: well last night I woke up 4 times in immense pain in my throat and ears that I just wanted to cry but crying only makes it worse. The ringing in my ears kept getting worse & worse. It was when I slept though or took a nap that my ears started to hurt. I can't describe the pain it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life... I ate chicken noodle soup, prime rib (IT WAS CHRISTMAS)... Some tortilla chips (I chewed it a lot...) pain: 9 Still continuing... I'm just praying this will be over soon... This pain is absolutely terrible and I would never wish it upon anyone else. Good luck to anyone getting theirs out. You'll hate yourself for a while...

you think it'll be easier on me because my cpap pressure is a 6?

ok now! I had tonsils removed on Fabruary 13th... I was silly enough to say at work that I would be back the week after to work!.. so this is what it was like for me: the surgeon told me I would spend the night at the clinic after surgery but didn't tell me why. Some people told me this surgery was horrible for grown ups but I thought... hey! I can take it!! and went ahead and got the surgery. Didn't really research much about the post op though.. Ok so we're on surgery day! they took an hour on the removal! they had to make sure I was breathing when they woke me... probably stoped during surgery.. didn't fel my mouth though... it was numb.. They took me to my room and told me not to try to talk. I was like... hey! this isn't that bad! it doesn't hurt that much..haha I had a strong painkiller IV.. Second day! I'm going home... they gave me some tooth ache pain killer and thats it! it started to hurt! but not that much and I did talk a bit.. hehe I can't help it lool. it was friday and the doctor told me to try to eat on sunday. Day 3 - Saturday. Pain getting worst! pain killers don't seem to have any efdecr on me what so ever! only drink water and chew on some ice. Day 4 - Sunday... hell no.. I wasn't able to eat... not even close to it. actually I thought something was wrong.. how could the doc expect me to eat by sunsay.. Day 5 - Monday...still only water, Ice... ice cream I could not eat... it made me have more saliva and I coulnd't swallow it..by now pain was a 10!! I woke up every morning around 5 am in pain!. Days 6-8 - tuesday, wedneaday and thursday.. STILL NO FOOD!! 8 days unable to eat anything.. this day, I was so weak that I got up ans went to the kitchend and try to eat something.. and started to feel bad.. really bad.. I felt I was gonna faint.. tryed to get to my bed cuz I was gonna fall to the floor and it was what happened.. fell to the floor.. near my bed... fainted and all my weight went to me left leg.. No my ankle is broken and I have the tonsils removal post op and a full cast for 6 weeks lol. the ambulance came and ot turns out O jad an infection on my tonsils and my doctor didn't tel me anytjing... thats why I was unable to eat. a month and 2 days have gone by since tonsils removal... I have 5 more weeks with my cast on....my troath still bothers a little but no pain. food flavours have changed a little since surgery, and voice too. BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE? EAT EVEN IF IT HURTS. if you don't you'll go weak and ir could be worst lol... take it from the girl in tje cast!! I am a 39 year old female.