I had my tonsillectomy on Wednesday - 12/11/08, so am on day 3. So far I have been fine. on day one I woke up from surgery with a sore throat that felt similar to having tonsilitis but was bearable pain. I managed to eat a yoghurt and part of a sandwich a few hours later then an omelette for dinner. Did nearly choke on a bit of melon though.
Day 2 was a bit sorer but not too bad - couldn't speak very well that day but could still eat mash potatoe and beef casserole. the worse feeling was the uvula (dangly bit at back of throat) swelled up to a big size that felt really uncomfortable. Now on day 3 and still not too bad, have a bit of a chesty cough which can be hard to clear and a little bit of boodevery so often but certainly not the horror stories I had been hearing. I have been warned tha day 6-9 can be the most painful but Im keeping my fingers crossed it won't be that bad!!! x

well, I'm glad to hear that it has not been that horrible for you. keep me posted. wish you a speedy recovery!

27 year old woman, had my tonsils/adenoids out on 11/11/08.
I was completely horrified to get mine out, but it was to the point that I couldn't breathe. I always have had enlarged Tonsils/Adenoids.
I went ahead and scheduled the surgery and had my mother take a week off of work and come take care of my toddler.
Well just let me say, that all those terrible stories that I read that almost made me change my mind, are not correct. Yes, it wasn't a pleasant experience. But I wouldn't say it was the end of the world.
Today is day 10 and although I still have some discomfort swallowing and can't eat Tacos yet, I am doing pretty well.
I only experienced a lot of pain from day 1-4, although I was on a strong pain med, so I sleep most of the time. By day 5, I switched to regular Tylenol and I am doing just fine.
I am sure some people have a worse experience, but mine hasn't been bad at all. I expected the worst and got a mild recovery.
One thing that helps me is warm drinks.
From day one, I drank TONS of water and liquids. ( I had read that on a previous post, and definitely feel it helped)
Make sure you get plenty of sleep. I think that also was the key to my easy recovery.
I am so glad that the terrible stories I read on this site didn't deter me from getting mine out. I can breathe easier already.

I hope this post helps some of you that were also terrified. Yes, there will be pain, but also good pain meds. There is a light at the end of the rainbow.

~ Just looking forward to that day when I too can eat a Taco~ As for now, I am going to keep to soft food!

Hi! I'm a 19 year old female and I found this board about a month before my surgery, which took place yesterday. I have to admit I freaked myself out when I read all of your stories, but perhaps it was for the best because I was prepared for it to be extremely painful.

I'm only on day 2 and am in pain. It hurts more when I talk so I do that as little as possible. I'm also having difficulties sleeping, I wake up every hour, sometimes twice.

Because of the general anesthesia and the way my body has reacted to it, I have retained all of the water from the IV. I gained 8-10 pounds from the morning of the surgery to after and it has yet to go away. I called the hospital and they said it would take 2/3 days for the swelling to go down. It hurts to walk because my entire body is so swollen.

They gave me demerol and gravol after the surgery and I stayed for 4 hours after and slept most of the time. The demerol was wonderful haha, I wish I could have taken some home! I have been trying as hard as I can to drink as much water as I can get down. I haven't eaten anything in 36+ hours because drinking water is difficult and the idea of food seems far too painful. I may try later tonight or tomorrow. I was told to stay away from all dairy products for the first few days which is a little disappointing since I was looking forward to eating the coffee ice cream I bought haha!

I am taking tylenol 3's every four hours, as well as antibiotics three times a day and gravol when I need it to ward off the nausea! I'm quite pleased that I haven't thrown up yet or seen any blood (could be because I can't even open my mouth to look in!) It doesn't seem that the tylenol 3's are working very well as I haven't seen any difference in pain, but I suppose if I stopped taking them I would feel it more lol.

From all the stories on here it seems like the pain will most likely increase in the next few days, which is a little frightening!

I'm glad I read this board though. I probably would not be making myself drink as much water had I not read this and I was prepared a bit more from the pain.

I took 10 days off of work when I was told to take 2 weeks, I'm hoping 10 days will be enough but I told my boss I would call him sometime next week and let him know. I really hope I'm mostly better by day 10!

Oh my goodness!! I wish you the best of luck, I hope it's not as bad for you as it was for me! But you'll get through it. I recommend room temperature mild chicken broth if you can't imagine eating anything, it gives you some nutrients..

I managed to get down some chocolate pudding and ice cream(I know I was told not to have any for the first few days but it wanted some soooo bad haha :-(), but it's so tasteless and more painful than it's worth to eat it :-( My throat is so swollen. I may try again tomorrow but food is not my friend at the moment.

Thank you!! People who have never had their tonsils out keep telling me I'll feel better in a couple days! I think they're mistaking an adult tonsillectomy for the children's one...I can only pray that I will feel better in a couple of days! But somehow I don't see that happening...

Oh my gosh, I am in such horrible pain. I thought I was doing pretty good yesterday. Early to mid part of day 3 and I had been able to eat a pudding, some yogurt, and a bit of apple sauce. Fast forward to the evening/night and I can barely get down water. My tongue is so much more swollen and everything hurts so much more. I'm counting down the minutes until I can take my medicine. I can't sleep at all, I wake up every hour at least even with gravol in me. I am now on early morning day 4 and it's the same thing. I can't talk, it feels like my ear drums could burst at any second, and I can barely get down water. I've now got a really awful headache as well. I hope it doesn't continue like this for too much longer.

Last night and this morning have been far worse than day 1 and 2. If I had known this I would have eaten more on those days because I certainly can't now...

Hello everyone, i found this site a couple weeks before my tonsillectomy and now i figured i'd add my personal experience to it. I'm 21 y/o female, and had my surgery on 11/20/08. So today is day 4 for me. Honestly my first 3 days went relatively easy, minor pain when i was late taking my pain meds, for which i was only taking the smallest dose possible. I was eating soft things, soup, soft rolls, apple sauce, and popsicles. Word of advice, avoid milk/dairy products because they will stick and cause a lot of painful flem. I was in so mild of pain days 1-3, that i even had eaten the chicken off a chicken wing and a broken up bread stick

Day 4 has been much more painful than the earlier ones. This morning i finally have been experiencing some ear pain, and it hurts a lot. I find that the 10 mins before taking my medicine and the 10 mins before they take effect are so painful. Water is a saving grace and popsicles are also the best invention ever. So i have a high tolerance of pain, but also am not dying yet. Hopefully tomorrow won't be as bad as they say.

Best of luck to everyone else that you have as good as an experience as i have had so far!!!

I am going through the most excruciating ear pain I have ever experienced. I waited too long to take my pills and this is what I get. Oh my God! I am on the verge of tears. At this point, I am truly regretting the tonsillectomy. I think I may need a couple months to actually appreciate this pain...

I'm 36 from Toronto and on day 7 from having my tonsils removed. I'm thankful for this site and others like it because I got next to no info from my Dr or nurses as to what to expect. The surgery went fine but on night #2 I started a major bleed @ 3am and ended up in the ER. Stayed for a couple hours, they made sure the bleeding stopped and had ne gargle out the clots till my throat was clear, they also prescribed stronger meds as the pain was pretty bad. Day 4 was definitely the worst, ears, teeth, jaw even the skin on the top of my head ached, oh yeah my throat hurt too...I find that my spit is very thick so I keep a spit bucket close by and that helps. I wont mention the obvious, drink lots, it hurts like hell but try. Your body will tell you what to eat. My brilliant Wife / RN had an amazing idea - Baby Food! It's been a lifesaver, feels like a gourmet meal. Today is day 7 and I'm finally starting to feel more like myself, still had to swallow but I can see a light and the end of the tunnel - or should that be esophagus? It will be interesting to see if this has been worthwhile once everything has healed and back to normal. On the brightside I've lost 14lbs...

I am on day 9, nearly day 10 and finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I've had the week from hell. I went into the hospital Tuesday afternoon because I couldn't stop bleeding and had to have emergency surgery. Stayed the night and was sent home in the late morning. The same evening, Wednesday, I started to bleed again. Started coughing up blood clots. Tried hard to get it to stop and spent most of the night up making sure I didn't start again, leaving me exhausted from no sleep.

Thursday I started bleeding again and finally went back to the hospital where they admitted me and watched me for two days. The bleeding had finally slowed down but a blood clot had positioned itself nicely on my left tonsil. It seemed like it wasn't going to do anything so I was finally sent home this morning. I've been watching and the blood clot seems to have disappeared and I seem to be healing fairly well, finally. I'm crossing my fingers I don't bleed again because I am so exhausted with being in the hospital.

Other than the incessant bleeding, the pain hasn't been bad at all. On day 6 I was able to stop with the T3's and haven't had anything but tylenol when I was in the hospital. I still can't eat very well but things seem to be improving and as long has the bleeding stops for good, I'm okay.

It is now late Tuesday night and I had my tonsils an adenoids taken out last Wednesday. Today was probably the worst day so far, I'm assuming because of the scabs but honestly I have not looked so I'm not positive. Days 2-4 were just like any other time i got tonsillitis and had a sore throat, so it was nothing new. However, there is a great deal of mucus and it's rather frustrating. For some reason the mucus is hard to swallow, and it's making me sound really dumb when I talk, which is in addition to the rest of the stuff going on in my mouth. Honestly I completely forgot about the whole scabbing part, I'm quite sure that's what's happening now, though it's really only bad on one side, the other is fine. It does burn a little to drink water, and up til now I've been eating soft foods like mac n cheese, eggs, and soup, but today I couldn't manage much and mainly stuck to popsicles. I'm really hoping/assuming that today and tomorrow will be the worst days and that after I get through tomorrow I should be fine. I'm still taking my oxycodone every 6 hours or so, and I'm really looking forward to not needing it and to be able to swallow and talk without it hurting. I've also lost weight, which has made me a bit underweight, so I'm going to look into protein drinks and such tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. All in all, I'm very glad I went through this because I know it's saving me a lot of pain and suffering that I would be going through otherwise. So as soon as I get through this I know it's clear sailing.

It's been interesting reading all these posts and past posts. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't read too much before my surgery. I had my tonsils taken out November 19th. I'm a 28 year old female, and I really wasn't looking forward to this at all. But, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've had no bleeding, I only needed pain meds for the first two days, and I've been able to eat almost anything (with the exception of spicy and acidic foods). I do have to eat slower, but all in all it wasn't too bad. The biggest thing I've noticed is I'm always wanting to drink. My throat feels better if I keep it from getting dry. My scabs keep getting thinner and thinner, and I'm hoping to be back to normal by the weekend or next week. So, for anyone about to have the surgery, keep in mind it's not all bad. I think it was definitely worth it!

I am suppose to have my tonsils out next thursday and reading these posts make me want to cancel it!

I posted on page 8. I had the tonsillectomy,adenoidectomy and septoplasty. It was a bad recovery for sure, and its hard to mentally prepare yourself to get worse after 3 days, for a few days and then stay that bad. I had the surgery 1 month ago, and ive been back at work for two weeks. not sure any of your professions, but i tried to go back full force...(10 hr shifts on my feet)...it was really hard...i recommend easing back into work, maybe a half day the first shift... my body was destroyed after eating percocets and not leaving the couch for 2 weeks!