Hi there! I am trying to get pregnant, and I keep hearing about these implantation cramps but I can’t figure out what they are and when they occur? Can anybody explain to me what implantation cramps are and why do they occur? Thx

Hello! These implantation cramps are not experienced by every woman. I haven’t had them but my sister has for example. Those are just regular abdominal cramps which are caused by a fertilized egg entering the uterus lining. The cramps happen because of the uterus’s enlargement. Besides cramps, a woman may experience implantation bleeding as well, but don’t panic if this happens, it is normal. Good luck with your conception.

When you are trying to conceive, it is natural to be really excited and to check your body for possible pregnancy symptoms all the time. Waiting for two weeks between ovulation and your expected period is HARD! So of course you would be looking for signs!

Some women do experience implantation spotting and implantation cramps when they conceive, and the embryo implants into the lining of their uterus. This is not universally true at all though. Bleeding and cramps can signify pregnancy, but you won't truly know if that is the case until you miss a period and are able to take a pregnancy test. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, though!

How long can implantation cramping last? I have been cramping for about a week or so, and my pregnancy test came back negative. My period isn't due for 5 days...so I wondered if something else was wrong with me.

Peaches wrote:

Hi! As far as I know and how it was in my case, implantation bleeding lasts only for 1 day, not even that long. Implantation cramping takes place when am embryo implants itself into the uterus lining and exactly this procedure can be felt as cramping.
Implantation cramping lasts for only about an hour or so and it may or may not be accompanied by light pink or brown blood. Bleeding may last for a day or two but it so little that you can use only a panty liner, you don’t even need a pad. However, only one third of women experience the bleeding while others don’t even notice it. The cramping is usually felt like sharp pain but it is not actually painful, rather uncomfortable.

The cramping you felt is probably associated with your PMS.

As for the pregnancy test, I think you did it too early. Home pregnancy tests are done a day or two after your period is running late. Then you should get definite and correct results. Home pregnancy tests work by detecting HCG hormones in your urine, which are being produced by the placenta some days after implantation.

How long have you been trying to get pregnant?

Implantation Bleeding can last for more than a week despite people saying that it only lasts one day. It has been known to last longer. The colors vary from pink-to brown-to red. However, I would say that if you have heavy DARK red flow, then its just good ol' AF. Implantation is usually much lighter than a normal period...enough so that you would be able to tell the two apart. Altough some women claim to have periods while pregnant (My mother included) I'm led to believe that these 'periods' are also much lighter without severe cramping/clotting. Although spotting in early pregnancy is quite common. :-D Hope this helps!

I had implantation cramps with my daughter in 2004 and it lasted a few days follwed by a day and a half of brown spotting. The cramps weren't painful just enough to notice them. I though I was going to loose the pregnancy but everything turned out fine. Hope that helps.

Peaches wrote:

Hi there

IT may be normal implantation cramping as each woman is different from the next

One minor possibility is that your progesterone is too low and is causing the cramping because the lining of your womb cannot be sustained. What are your average body temps (lowest and highest) after ovulation? If they are lower than average (there are a lot of examples of average but in Farenheit its usually around 98 degrees) if yours are lower it might be due to low progesterone and some natural progesterone cream or under tongue drops might sort the cramps and save an early pregnancy so check it out.

If your temperatures are average and normal then please dont be concerned as I doubt its low progesterone - and as much as its TORTURE waiting the two weeks to find out - all we can do is wait!

My husband and I have not been steadily trying to get pregnat, but we have been playing around with the idea. This month I am late on my period by only a couple of days, but have been experiencing some major signs of pregnancy. I have very tender and swollen breasts outside the norm of my menstraul cycle. This par I understand, but I am confused on the implantation bleeding and craping. I have been experiencing cramping for about 4 to 5 days. Not too painful, but I usualy never get cramps. The only time I ever cramp is minutes before I start my period. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Cramping only. They are not too severe where I am worried that I am having a miscarriage, but I would like to know if I am the only one who has had these syptoms.

hi..me and my boyfriend have been trying to get pregnant for the last few months...my period is not due until near the end of the week but for the last 3-4 days i have cramps which i never ever get and lower back pain..it comes and goes and its not severe but enough to know dat it is there..i have no bleeding...i usually get swollen lumpy boobs one week before my period is due but this time i just have sore nipples..i have also noticed the last two mornings that my gums are bleeding..really want this to be a positive and was wondering if anyone else has had symptons like this with a positive outcome...please help...

I too had unusual cramping for a longer period of time. I took a test last week and it came up positive. I am about 6 weeks along now. My boob were swollen too and they were even more sore than the normal period tenderness. Good Luck!

I have had similar experiences to some of the above mentioned....I have had cramps for a little over 2 weeks now!! Is that bad? I took a PT 4 days ago, and got a +.... but the cramps are intermittent.. and sometimes i get dizzy and faint. i have had absolutely NO bleeding! WHAT GIVES? if anyone can help or advise, i would be so grateful.. i feel very alone and clueless.

I'm confused with whats going on with my body. On feb 13th I had unprotected sex but the next day took Plan B. Usually when I am about to get my period my breasts get tender for a few days then i get cramps and then shortly after my period. Once the cramps start though my breasts are no longer tender. This time my breasts are still very sore and these cramps come and go but no period follows. I want to wait until monday before I check but could i be pregnant?

I've been cramping for 4 or 5 days. I'm on day 18 of my cycle and have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years. I've taken chlomid this month. Could this cramping be associated with implantation? I hope. I hope. I hope. I've also had some clear-white discharge. Any thoughts?

I am having a very weird situation...regarding cramping and implantation. I had sex 11 days after my period and it was unprotected..and my boyfried did the "deed" inside me on accident. We had sex again 3 times that say day later with out condom but he pulled out but im thinking that he didnt exactly pull out in time everytime. I noticed that my fertile days were around the time I did it (11 days on my cycle). We 5 days later I started having light pink spotting that lasted about 2 days. I also experienced some backache and cramping. My period is not d ue until another week and few days. Im just wondering is there anyway this could have been implantation most likely? I never ever really spot and this was the first time I ever noticed spotting between periods.