I have very fair skin that just Does Not Tan under any circumstances. Weirdly for my skin type, my skin seems to be unable to get a sunburn as well. I used to use sub beds to try to tan when I was in my teens and they did absolutely nothing for me. I even once tried a self tanner than made me look orange and artificial. That was a long time ago. I am hoping that Self Tanning Products have improved since that time. Can someone advise on what the best self tanner is for very fair skin? I would like to look Bronzed but not orange.

Thank you!

Saint Tropez is the one everyone always raves about... not too friendly on the old wallet, mind you! It's been a while since I tried self tanners as well, and I got horrendously fair skin like you, that's to say, I might as well glow in the dark, LOL. Nature's Gate Sunless Tanner is a cheap one I heard about that's also all natural, which does appeal to me, you know? 'Cause I don't like the thought of slathering nasty chemicals onto my body full stop. Don't have any personal experience with it, yeah, so take this for what it's worth, which ain't much. But something to look into, anyway.

Hi there,

The key to looking good with a self tanner is not only which product you are using, but also how you apply it.

For instance, get started with a gradual self tanner and only apply very small amounts at first. Treat it like the equivalent of a skin serum, not a moisturizer, which you would apply in much larger quantities. There are mitts you can get to apply self tanner, which makes the tone more even. Also, when you do wear a self tanning cream, make very sure you exfoliate regularly. If you do not, and you just keep on applying more product over unexfoliated skin over extended periods of time, you will almost certainly end up with streaks.

And what color to go for? St Tropez is best, it's true, but you can spot test several on small areas to see whether or not the particular tanner turns you orange or not. You can ask for samples or have at it on the inner side of your upper arm now it's winter; you can easily hide it if you can horrendous spot test results, and you can be glad it is not all over your body.

Self tanning does have a learning curve. When used right, it can look wonderful though.

If you are looking for a natural, non-in your face look, then I would recommend Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Daily Moisturizer. It will make you look bronzed without making you look over the top. It is easy to apply and the perfect product to start with if you are a beginner to self tanners, or simply if you prefer a more subtle look. The best aspect of this self tanner is that it simply does not lead to unsightly streaks, which are associated with numerous other self tanning products. Should you apply in regularly, the tint will build up some, giving you a darker look. Should you use it sparingly, it will simply give your skin a bit of a boost.

Hi Jill,

Thank you very much for your advice. What you describe is exactly what I want, and the price looks very good as well. I think I am going to go with that one.

Guest from five days ago,

Thanks for the general tips as well. Those are very useful. I would prefer a product that, as Jill says, simply doesn't have the potential to cause streaking because I do not believe in my own ability to apply self tanner correctly yet, but I do appreciate your tips and will definitely keep them in mind when I start applying self tanner. Perhaps, with time, I will become more experienced and can go for a slightly darker shade.

I do hate the orange look with a vengeance, and definitely do not want to run the risk of ending up looking like that.

Self tanner is the pits. No matter how much it says on the tube that you will not get streaks, you always do. I am another light skinned person who does not tan. Sure, it bothered me a lot when I was younger, everyone coming back from vacations with nice looking skin and then there was me looking like White Wonder Bread. It is just a part of me that I have realized will not change so I am trying to make the most of my natural looks rather than going out of my way to look different. What is it with people? The darker ones want to look lighter and bleach their skin, the lighter ones want to look darker and use self tanners. People, you are all beautiful. You want healthy looking skin, not a different skin color.

So, I did go ahead and I bought the Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Daily Moisturizer. I exfoliated prior to using it the first time just to prevent any streaking as an extra measure, and so far I am seeing a slight but pretty change in my skin tone. I hope that I will end up being just a little bit darker in a few days, but even if I just stay this way then it is basically giving me a healthy glow that I am quite happy with. So thank you very much for the recommendation! Imagine I had bought something else and ended up looking like a clown. I am really grateful for your advice!!!