I'm Vietnamese, French and German. Growing up in France, it was pretty hard to find the right foundation for my skin tone but over the last decade or so, so many more options have become available. The cheaper brands still often come with just pink undertones though. This leaves my skin looking artificial and weird. I try to seek out foundations that have yellow undertones, which match the undertones in my own skin. They are not all created equal though. Can you help me find the BEST one?

I love experimenting with makeup. I know that you can get away with buying some stuff cheaply. Like eyeshadows for instance and mascaras and blush. Lipsticks I like to be a bit more expensive so they feel nice and creamy on your lips rather than dry. I go for more pricey eyeliner too. As for foundation, that's really the thing that makes of breaks the rest of your makeup, so not only do I want it to match my skin tone, I want it to be a really great one. So I don't care about the price. I just want a wonderful foundation that really works.

Oh, my skin changes through the year. In summer, it's mostly hassle free. In winter, I have dry skin around my cheeks and between my brows but oily skin on my forehead and nose. So I'd like the foundation to be perfect for that kind of skin too.

I'm all Caucasian with a large bit of Irish in there so I've got a very light skin tone but also do better with yellow undertones. There's one thing I swear by, and that's MAC studio fix foundation, which comes in aaaaallll sortsa different tones. They got two different ones, a liquid and a power foundation. They recommend you buy some kind of primer when you go there, and that really does make the foundation stay on all day so the extra dosh is worth it, I'd say. Studio fix gets you a great finish with very good coverage but not so great that you can't see your skin no more, know what I mean? You'll also want to use a finish afterwards.

The basic thing I discovered after asking for tons of samples is that not all employees at the cosmetics counter will necessarily know which foundations have the right undertone for you. If they tend more towards orange (in NATURAL DAYLIGHT!!!! not in the mall), they make me look crazy. If they tend towards greenish, those are the ones I find work better for me.

OK then. Mac c4 works well for me in terms of the tone. Maybelline also has quite a few good foundations that have yellow tones in them, but I don't have the exact number any more because I am not using it at the moment. Rimmel lasting finish 202 nude also does the trick for me.

I do have a final tip for you. If you're looking for high end foundations where you'll have a consultant helping you during the selection process, try to find a consultant who is also Asian and has a similar skin tone as you. They are just that much more likely to know what you need.

For me (Indonesian):

Urban decay naked skin foundie 4.0, MAC studio fix fluid (was mentioned already) shade NC30, or Estee Lauder double wear in the tawny.

BUT that is just me. You most likely have a skin tone a lot lighter than mine. Lot of people are very satisfied with Shiseido as well, which comes in a wide range of color mostly with yellow undertones.

The truth is you cannot find out which foundation is best for yellow skin tone perse since everyone is different. I am mentioning the brands that work for me, they come in different tones as well so you are best off going to the counter and asking for advice.

You can also request sample in different shades so you can try it out. Just buy lipstick or something small so they do not assume you just looking for free makeup :). Also many stores have money back guarantees so if the shade does not work out for you after few days of usage then you can still return it and swap it for one that works for you better.

I have combo skin so that plays a role also. Probably the brands I use will work well for you but in different shades.

I just got the NYX Stat Matte But Not Flatte foundation for an olive skin tone, and so far I am very happy with the way I look when I put it on (though my skin tone actually changes through the year, making it hard to find that one foundation that is fantastic). It has a mattifying effect as well as good coverage and it isn't as expensive as some of the other foundations out there.

One thing that strikes me is that all the foundations suggested here are higher end. Do you really have to go out of your budget to find a foundation that works for you? I've been looking and looking (stubborn I guess, I always make the mistake of thinking a foundation I try on in a store works nicely, and then when I get outside or have worn it for a few days I realize it's not quite what I wanted!), and right now I've settled on a Revlon Colorstay that is yellow but too dark for my skin. At least it doesn't make me like like a joke. Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for brands that are a bit cheaper and that do have a good variety of yellow tone foundations, so not just one or two?

SheaMoisture Sheer Foundation comes in 20 different tones, many of which have yellow undertones. It's got great coverage but unlike many foundations does not come out looking all "cakey". It looks like you have a BB cream on when you're done with it, though you can definitely pile the layers on for maximum coverage. I've got very light skin and this works nicely for me. At $15 a pop and available from Target, I think you might like this one as well.

EX1 cosmetics are fantastic for Asian skin! Like most Asians (I'm Indian) I've struggled finding the right shade for years, but it finally seems like cosmetic companies are taking our skins seriously now and more and more options are appearing on the market. The EX1 Cosmetics Invisiwear Liquid Foundations are designed with Asian and Middle Eastern skin in mind. They come in a variety of shades, aren't expensive, which is a nice bonus, and most important of all beside being the right shade for my skin, it does not clog my pores and make me break out like so many foundations I tried before. Rather than giving you that ultra covered look, you come out looking like you are not wearing foundation at all, because the foundation is both light enough and the right shade. I love mine and I would recommend EX1 Cosmetics Invisiwear Liquid Foundations to anyone with Asian skin.

I've got a yellow skin tone as well. Like I said on the other thread, I went shopping today and I was pretty impressed with the Benefit line. I tried a foundation called Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow, which is oil-free, something that's important to me because I do get a shiny forehead. In the shop, the tone looked pretty awesome. Again, I went home empty handed today simply because these products aren't exactly the cheapest on the market. What I liked about the foundation was that it's not too thick. In fact, it looked really quite natural. So if you're ready to spend, perhaps you could look into that one? You get whole sets as well, which are smaller sized but I think you get foundation, loose powder and concealer or something.

The combo of NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat and their Shine Killer Primer is awesome!!! Because I have terribly oily skin I usually go for the more expensive primers and foundations, but I usually by my lipsticks and shadows at NYX and somehow ended up with these. The tone, I'll be blunt, is not quite right for my skin and I do wish it came in more colors. But for the shine kill factor, I give these two products a 10/10. I have not needed to repeat application through the day like with other foundation/primer combos that I have used in the past.