Since piercing and tattoo became mainstream, those who want to be different seek other challenges and undergo body modifications.
Body modifications go from splitting the tongue in two to having horns implanted on heads, installing magnets in hands, and making the ears pointy.
The trend is growing and scary as people don’t seem to care about possible health consequences and there are many.
Body modifications are illegal and forbidden but that doesn’t prevent people for doing them. Many piercing and tattoo shops won’t do it due to possible legal problems. While tongue splitting is illegal, there are similar procedures that fall under a legislative gray area.
The biggest problems with body mods is the risk of infections and the fact that all of these implants need to be removed one day. It seems that many people have them removed quickly since they become annoying, get in the way, or cause infections. This, however, does not prevent new followers of the body mods to try something different.

I personally am modified and have many friends who are heavily modified as you reference (such as transdermal implants, subdermal implants, ear pointing, tongue-splitting, etc.). These modifications are neither illegal nor forbidden. These people UNDERSTAND what they are undergoing, the risks of infection, and the difficulty of removal. People who are actually dedicated to modifications WILL care about the health issues. I promise you, not every heavily modified person can be compared to a kid who sticks a safety pin through their lip at home. We know what we're doing and we're proud of it.

I am currently going through the most painful methods of tounge splitting (the tie off method) and I do understand the risks involved in this process. I don't do this because I am crazy, or deranged I do it for the same reason women put on make up. It makes me feel more beautiful, I love the way it looks and it has nothing to do with joe blow public. this is for me, and me alone, I wish others understood that it gets really irritating when people want to know why i do this and make rude comments about it when I tell them. If you can't be open minded or you can't see doing it yourself then you will never understand so stop trying and don't pretend to try. when you put on your makup or get your hair done then you will realise that you are feeling the same feeling I feel when I put in a new binding. we are more alike than you know but you are to close minded to see it

Cool comments guys! I'm glad you decided to "tell your story"! I greet you!