Hey everyone.

I have a Golden Retriever. He is now 8 years old, so he is pretty much old. A few days ago I saw that he is really nervous and that he is scratching himself very often. I look closely his fur and I didn’t see nothing. No signs of reddens or itchiness.  I am positive sure that he doesn’t have fleas because he is older. I was reading that older dogs can’t get fleas. But my mom told me that I am silly because I believe so.

Can you tell me can older dogs get fleas and how to prevent that? Thank you!

Hello Roberto.

Every dog can get fleas. It doesn’t matter how old is he or she. I don’t know why would you think that this is not possible?

You need to treat if your dog has a fleas.

If case that he doesn’t have theme, here are a few tricks how to prevent that to happen.

You can use some products that contain ingredients such as etofenoprox and s – methoprene. It kills fleas, ticks and flea eggs.

You should bath your dog in the hot and soapy water at least once a week. This is the best prevention.

I would avoid collars because they were not effective in my case.

Good luck!

Hey.

I am really sorry because you have some wrong information. I am really sure that you couldn’t read that older dogs can’t get fleas because they do. Just like younger dogs and middle aged dogs.

I would suggest you to buy flea comb and to use it very often.

You can make a lemon spray with water and lemon for your dog and spray it every day.

Baking soda is also helpful when you are bathing your dog with soapy, hot water.

This can prevent your dog to get fleas but it can also heal him from them.

Good luck!

Hey.

Yes older dogs can be affected with fleas. Once your dog grows, you need to give him their medications that will help them fight against fleas.

The place where do you live is a big factor in determining what method of flea prevention is the best to use for your older dog.

Usually vet will prescribe tablets that you need to give your dog once a month, just to prevent fleas and ticks.

Topical ointments are effective and you should use them one to three months. It depends on brands.

Remember – it doesn’t meant that your older dong won’t spend a lot of time out. Even if he spends a less time out he is not safe from fleas.

Good luck!

Good day.

Of course. I have a dog, he is almost 9 years old and he has fleas every three months. He is not out that often but he still catch the fleas. I was using a lot of different methods to prevent that but nothing was helpful like flea comb with metal teeth.

Oral medications were also very helpful because they kill fleas in a few hours. I didn’t believe in this, but I saw that it is effective. Senior dogs have weak immune system so you need to take care of them a lot. Fleas are something that you can deal with.