Why did I become a diabetic when I'm the only one in my family that is? No one else, not even my grandparents or aunt or uncle has diabetes but I do. My doctor looked at my family history but I'm the only one that became a diabetic. Did my diet (I love a bowl of ice cream every night) do this? I eat a few vegetables and only a few fruits. I like steak, not chicken unless it has the skin on it. But I have a lot of friends that eat way worse than me and I am the only one that became a diabetic. Maybe they will too.

Celebrity

Yep hon, your diet was definitely one of the reasons. You will have to chnage that ...

Your diet could definitely have something to do with it, but you don't mention your age, so I don't know how long you've had less than optimal eating habits. Your age, weight and body chemistry has a lot to do with the development of diabetes. Plus you mentioned the sugars that you KNOW that you're ingesting. Sugar is in nearly everyone. Every grain is a starch and starch turns to sugar in the body. Sugar hides in every condiment. Salad dressings, starchy vegetables and starchy fruits. Milk products contain lactose, which is a form of sugar as well. Peanut butter, considered by many diet exchange programs as a fat, is loaded with sugar. So you see, it's not simply the sugar that you know, such as ice cream, it can hide in products you've never believe contained sugar.

I'm the only one in my family too, but I'm really overweight. My doctor and all my relatives told me that I was putitng myself at risk to get sugar, but I didn't think I would because no one else in my family had it. I've tried losing weight, but now with all the other problems diabetes brings, it's hard to do. I do have a neighbor that has sugar too, and we talk a lot and it makes me feel better because I don't always think my family understands how hard it is to have diabetes when none of them do.