I have very annoying problem. Since my puberty, I know I suffer of seborrhea. I do not know what to do; I cannot stand any more this redness on the face. I want to find any solution, but my doctor does not seem to be interested into helping me. Can you tell me something more about this?

Firstly I think you need to know what word seborrhea actually means. That is not just skin dryness, but it means too much oily skin. Seborrhea is also known as common dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. What you are complaining about is commonly problem with seborrhea, because it usually occurs as redness on the face. Beside this place, it could also occur in the armpits, raw, and as red patches below the breasts. Problem is that some of these conditions may feel dry, and moisturizing performed on it just makes them redder, which could be your case. Treatment of seborrhea is directed at fighting the skin inflammation; I believe your doctor will pay attention on this. This is done either directly, using cortisone-based creams and lotions. Those creams are going to reduce inflammation. In addition, it might reduce the yeast that builds up on scaly areas. You need to know that the seborrhea is not a yeast infection, and I believe your doctor will find the best solution.

I have it by my nose as well and have tried over 25 meds with ZERO luck... i'm on the verge of giving up and living with the condition so I feel your pain.

I think that I also have this condition. I have been afflicted with it since my teens. I get red, sometimes itchy, scaley, and sore places on my hairline, my eyebrows, especially the corners of my nose, and my chin. It hurts and has lots of skin build up. I can only assume it is this or something related to it.

I too had a doctor that did not take me very seriously about it. He prescribed something, but I did not leave feeling helped at all, as I didn't even understand what I had.

I have been using a product called AVVAA for the past 2 months and has really helped reduce the redness and scaly patches-I was doubtful about how well it would work,but it has.No I dont own stock in the company,hope this might help.

Just go to a Health food store and by Raw "Apple Cider Vinegar" either Braggs or Eden.

Shake bottle and apply in circular motions over affected areas with a q tip.

It will sting a little until the skin gets used to it, but it will PH balance yourskin and stop 8) the excessive fungi.

just this year, my cheeks have been experiencing some itchyness, and it turns red and scaly, and ugly! :-) i have no idea what the cause is, but how can i prevent them from reoccuring..they say it could be caused by the sudden change in weather.. but how come only my cheeks get affected? and i've never had these before, just this year...i dont want to keep on having allergies on my cheek....help? :-)

I've expierianced this too i think. I constantly get redness and peeling on corners of my nose and around it, under my eyes and around my eyebrows, forhead and sometimes my chin area. it looks and feels awful, but nothing has really worked to stop it. I wonder what it is really and if there's any treatment for it. I'm going to college next year so you can why i want to find some fast treatment. Can anyone help!!

I'm sure it has been stated, but it is a medical condition called seborrheic dermatitis or also known as Seborrhea. I use Loprox to help with my skin issues (have had it since I was a senior in high school... so going on nearly 10 years now). Using the Loprox I can pretty much go back to normal looking skin, but I still have to put it on once or twice a day.

Tell me about the pain and embarassment of having the condition. When I run out of my cream/lotion for any extented period of time it comes back. You just want to crawl into a hole when it is scalling, all red, sore, flaking, etc. It looks as if your skin is eating away from around your nose, forehead, eyebrows, and even on the chin. You get the feeling of not wanting to look at anyone in the eyes or be around big crowds.

I am in no way connected to Loprox, but it has worked very well for me personally.

Thank you. :-) I'm going to try all the things you guys suggested here. I got Seborrhea around Freshman year in high school and I didn't know what it was until senior year when I started looking up the symptoms I've been having. It was so embarrassing :'( . Like just yesterday there was flakes all over my my cheeks chin and nose and I was shopping and brought some selsum blue. I was afraid to look the ringer in the eyes it's so embarrassing. Man I'm so happy I found this post. I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar (I have to go back to the store I have regular vinegar he he) first if that doesn't work I'm going to try the avvaa then the loprox.

Thank you guys.

Just wondering which one of their products you are using specifically, since they have about 5 different bottles....

Try Protopic it works great for me and I have tried everything. Just put on once in the evening and once clears up just use as needed. Only problem is don't drink any alcohol after you have used it as your face will turn bright red and feel like it is on fire. Also limit sun exposure as this medicine is a immune suppressant as seb derm is an immune disorder. I am not a med rep just a person dealing with this c**p as well.

The exact same situation as me ASPIRE4GRACE al of a sudden from school it came and doctors diagnosis i believe worsened the effects but i have started to do research and some trial and error.
I used to always stay up til silly hours not getting mch sleep and having tons of cereal lol easy to make and tastes nice i s'pose , anyways i cut down on milk staying up late seemed to help then cut out alcohol (not really a bad thing ) and had more fibre which seemed to be a biggy in my research ( i use cereals for the fibre like bran or something but ur s'posed to have green veg like cabbage and broccoli) so after al the changes i wast quite satisfied so i heard about nizzrol and i apply that once a week or 7-8 days and seems to help but its not for every 1 and is quite expensive for a small bottle but id say give it a shot .
try to wash every 12 - 13 hours (twice a day) for at least every other day and b gentle wen using soap, slow smooth strokes -DONT RUB- then rinse fully and that should get u on ur way XD oh yer use a neutral ph soap if u can too

I no how u feel honestly as i lost a GF that i really REALLY liked because of this and i of course don't fully blame her but realize that this isn't the end and it will become manageable GL dude

I'm having the same problems as described. The thing is, I just can't belive there doesn't exist a cure, or at least something that will take the redness away permanently.

What are the doctors and scientists doing about it anyway? Are there any new discoveries? Is there a medical study going on that is trying to find a solution?

This disease is serious, not physically but psychologically - it can bring you down, your self-esteem and destroy your social life.

I have suffered from this 20+ years and have seen a number of doctors. Over the years I have collected many prescitptions and have learned to manage it.

1) Ketoconazole - both shampoo and creme
apply shampoo to face and let sit for 5-6 minutes a day during flare ups
use creme twice a day
2) after a while you may notice you develop some resistance to the above - when this happens, I use selenium sulfide shampoo on my face - same regemine as above but after a month, I go back to the ketoconazole shampoo
3) I will also rotate loprox for the ketoconazole creme
4) when I get real stubborn flare ups, I use elidel for a week which seems to clear up everything but the stuff comes with a number of FSA warnings so I try to limit the use

I also have to wash my face two to three times a day to keep the grease from getting to bad.

I may try an alternative medicine doctor to try to understand more about diet and the impact to this skin condition - traditional dermotologists do not seem to make the connection but I suspect there is one.

good luck