I am 55, soon to be 56. I have aged rapidly within the least year or so. I went from being happy with my looks to suddenly having a very wrinkled and saggy neck, more so even than my facial skin. I no longer feel like I can reasonable wear what I want to, and I am not ready to be an old lady yet. I have tried with creams to no avail. It is time to explore surgical options, isn't it?

Where would I start looking if I wanted something done about my wrinkled and saggy neck?

Thank you for your assistance in advance. 

Neck "issues" can be caused by different things, from excess fat to excess skin to issues with the muscles. It can also be a combination.

The right treatment for your neck issues depends on the cause. Neck liposuction can help some people, for instance, whereas a neck lift is required for optimal results in other cases. Laser treatments are also a viable choice for some people with wrinkled and saggy necks, and for mild wrinkled necks even Retin-A is an awfully powerful choice.

Personally, I am of the persuasion that trying less invasive treatments first and then gradually working your way up the ladder is best, but finances play a role too of course.

If you are interested in surgical options for wrinkled and saggy skin around the neck, you are looking at a procedure called a  lower rhytidectomy. This is also referred to as a neck lift. A neck lift will eliminate that phenomenon that drives many people to desperation, the so-called "turtle neck". It is invasive surgery however and you will want to be aware that, as with any surgery, side effects are possible and there will be a significant recovery time. Neck lifts make you look a lot younger, but obviously they do not halt the aging process. 

I would start by using a day and night cream, the same ones you apply to your face, on your neck area. You can also apply Retin a to the neck as well, along with sunscreen; a very big help in further wrinkle prevention!!!

As far as surgical options for a wrinkly neck are concerned, the only treatment that really has proven results is the already mentioned necklift, with or without liposuction in the same area. This greatly improves the appearance of the neck skin.

Celebrity

I am trying to accept aging as a natural and inevitable part of life, yet of course I still want to look as good as I can for as long as I can. For my neck, I have tried:

1. Banana masks that contain nothing but fresh bananas. Bananas are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that combat aging.
  2. Aloe vera, fresh from the plant. This contains ingredients that physically tighten the skin. 
  3. A multivitamin supplement specifically meant for hair, skin and nails. 
  4. Vitamin C serum. 

No, it won't have the effect of surgery, but it doesn't hurt either. 

Rosie

Hi!

The average cost of a neck lift operation in the US is $4,389, though costs of course differ from clinic to clinic, both depending on location and expertise.

Neck lifts can eliminate excess skin and turtle neck as well as fat tissue you do not need through a liposuction done at the same time. The op lasts two to three hours on average. For the best results, be as honest as possible about what changes you would like to see with your surgeon. This can also be done in conjunction with a face lift, in which case of course the op takes longer.

Hiya,

I've looked into this for my mum who really doesn't like the turtle neck she now got going on. Up until like five years back she was a confident gal who'd wear anything she liked but now approaching 60 she's covering up more and more. Creams ultimately may hydrate the skin and infuse it with elastin and stuff but can only do so much. Surgery is the only real option there, the so called neck lift already talked about here... Do you wanna try and do that, turn back the clock with operations? If you got the money and are willing to take the risk, neck lift surgery is a good choice but it sounds scary too!

I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I am not there myself yet. On the other, well, unlike say cystic acne scars, aging is a normal part of being human. How far do you want to go to look younger than you are? If you were to get a neck lift but not a face lift, I imagine you would look lopsided and unnatural. Once you start getting these surgeries, you are pulled in to more and more and your finances suffer a great deal. Plus, does it really make you look any better? I am not sure to be honest. We are beautiful at all ages.

I must admit that I suffer from this as well. And I have been wondering what to do about it. Surgical options seem to be a bit out of my league. I really have a problem with anesthesia as well, even at the dentist. What I decided to do is wear a nice frilly little scarf around my neck at all times. I know that it is not a solution for the problem but it does seem to hide it pretty well.

I have a great collection of all different types of scarves, for winter, for summer, all seasons. People always say I am very fashion conscious and nobody seems to realize it is actually wrinkles that I am hiding.

Aaaahhh... what you are after is a procedure called neck contouring! This surgical approach is completely tailored to your individual needs and wants, and can involve neck lipo, which improves sagging and adds smoothness, and neck lift, which completely removes excess skin, improves your vertical and horizontal wrinkles, and creates the appearance of a youthful neck. The actual way in which the surgery is carried out depends on exactly what you want to achieve. You need a skilled surgeon, but results can be amazing!

Neck wrinkles are notoriously difficult to treat, with surgical options leading to questionable benefits, something that plastic surgeons themselves readily admit to. In this situation I would first consider botox, which is temporary in nature and has been shown to offer some benefit in some people. Failing that, you may find yourself spending a lot of money on something that simply does not offer the results you desire.

We all get older and the neck area is one of the first ones to truly show that.