I would like to know two things. First, my girlfriend had facial augmentation, for health reasons. They put something called” hydroxyapatite” to correct her jaw. I would like to know what hydroxyapatite is.
The other thing is why those skin flaps in plastic surgery are called Z-plasty? Is it because of the shape? Thank you in advance.

The chemically similar to the mineral component of bones and hard tissues in mammals is called Hydroxyapatite. It is bioactive material, meaning that it will support bone ingrowths and Osseo-integration when used in orthopedic, dental and maxillofacial applications. It is used for cheeks, chin, jaw or nose…etc. augmentations. The other thing that you’ve asked about Z-plasty about the shape is true. Well, Z-plasty is a basic technique of plastic surgery in which two triangular pieces of skin are transposed and their positions are exchanged, so the final looks a letter Z.