I am an 18 year old female and I had my tonsils out 6 days ago. The throat pain isn't nearly as severe as tonsillitis, so if you have had that then don't be worried about the pain. I found that gelato and ice chips work best to soothe my throat. I found that the cream in the ice cream made me have a lot of mucus which was uncomfortable. The worst part for me is that my body doesn't like narcotics and the ammox. didn't settle well so I was throwing up a lot. Keep yourself hydrated and take tylenol extra-strength and you wont be in much pain if you can't handle narcotics. I actually babysat all day today and went on a hike with the kids and I kept myself hydrated so I felt fine. Get a lot of sleep and KEEP YOURSELF HYDRATED even if it hurts to swallow because many people end up back in the hospital due to dehydration. I almost went back day 3 because I was extremely dehydrated. It's a very common procedure so do not be worried!

I am having my tonsils removed in about two weeks and I was wondering if anyone knows how long I will have to leave my tongue ring out. The last time I took it out was about a month and a half ago and it started to close up after being out for about an hour. I've now had it pierced for about 4 months and I'm worried that its going to close up and I will have to get it re-pierced...

Thanks for the post.-Great Advice! I also found that beef and chicken broth were nice after all that sweet tasting gatorade and popsicles. (Though the popsicles saved me!)

**edited by moderator**

28 and on Day 6

Do everything in your power to get your doctor to prescribe strong pain meds for your recovery. Mine won't do anything more than tylenol with codine, which does NOTHING for the pain. It wears off about 30 minutes after it kicks in. I think tylenol with codine is the usual prescription just because they are usually dealing with kids for this surgery.

I will say too, that room temperature felt a lot better than ice cold after day 4.

Good luck to everyone.

I am 27 years old and I have to say that this has been the worst experience of my life. The pain is so horrible that I wold have rather gotten into a the ring with hulk hogan blindfolded. I wish someone would put me in a coma

should:

* Sleep on after tonsillectomy, avoiding abrupt exercises.

* Avoid maneuvers in the mouth that can lead to loosening of the scabs (posterior dental hygiene, mouthwash energetic, etc.).

* Follow a soft diet for two cold days, then will warm up after the seventh day you start with normal diet.

* There are drugs like aspirin which interfere with clotting, trying to avoid before and after the intervention.

It is true what they say, everyone heals differently.
My husband had his out when he was 31 and we weren't given many post-op instructions like drinking, drinking, drinking being SO important and he ended up having a clot dislodge and bleed out that made us panic. The Dr. said to just rinse with ice cold water to stop it and it did, but still not anything I needed in my head knowing I was going in for the same thing at 38 years old.

I. Was. Terrified.
BUT, I did it.
I am on day 10 and am doing much better.
They had said that day 5 was going to be my worst day but day 4 was actually my worst...for PAIN...between the throat and the neck muscle/earache pain it was pretty bad.
BUT I was already eating baby foods (desserts), yogurt, lots and lots of banana popsicles, buttered elbow noodles.
I managed to eat tender pot roast and gravy on my 6th day...but when I woke up Monday morning, my 7th day...I had a HORRIBLE metal taste in my mouth...part of the clot had come off in the back on the left side and there was some blood but it wasn't pouring. Ate a BUNCH of ice chips...all day long...back to broth and soft foods.
I think it was because I had taken my pain meds and ended up sleeping through the night (finally) so I wasn't able to moisturize the back, keeping the clots soft and moist is SO important to recovery.
So Monday was my worst day period...it was more due to frustration of thinking I was getting better and then having the setback.
I am an eater, I've got a very healthy appetite for being small and so that was killing me.
I pretty much cried all day.
Tuesday was a little better...the worst was the clots healing and tickling the back of my throat, making me feel like I had a really bad tickle that made my eyes water and cough a little...gently...
Wednesday - the 9th day, when I woke up I could already feel before I looked that I was breathing better and swallowing more clearly. When I talked it didn't sound like i was trying to talk with a cottonball rammed down my throat!
It also happened to be my daughter's 17th birthday, she interns at the rock station here every Wednesday, so I really wanted to be able to take her...and I did.
I made sure I took my ice water, some powerade, my medicated lollipop and a bag full of the little dum-dum lollipops, for moisture and the awful taste in my mouth.
I was tired when we got home, but I was able to get down a cheeseburger!
Today is the tenth day and other than the continuing neck muscle pain everything else is fine. The clots are almost all gone, just looks like a veil back there. I even had my morning coffee :-)
I've got all day tomorrow to rest up, Saturday we're getting out of this house and doing some birthday shopping and dinner out...not sure what I'll be able to eat, gonna try and take it easy, but I'll get there.
And yes, I've lost 8 pounds.

I am twenty years old and for as long as I can remember I have always had problems with my tonsils. I just had surgery August 6 and my first two days were more or less what I expected. On day three up until now, day six I was in for a huge shock! I am pretty tolerant for pain but for some reason the ear aches, that I can never remember having, and the jaw and throat pain were terrible.
I was in the kitchen remembering my grandpa telling me to gargle salt water for a sore throat and I thought now is as good of time as ever to try it, I am so glad I did. I kid you not, gargling warm salt water has helped me tremendously. I do not know, and I could not tell you for sure, but I even feel like my throat is healing a little quicker since I started, and I can go longer without the pain medicine. Another thing I found it helped me with was mucus. I did not know if it was just me, but the mucus is terrible, I really think that gargling with warm salt water helps loosen the mucus allowing it to come out when you spit the warm water out.

This may not work for everyone, but because it has worked so well for me I did not feel it was fair not to say anything. If you are having pain between medication times, try gargling warm salt water. I cannot say that it will work for everyone, but it really worked for me.

Bottom line~ gargling warm salt water between times of medication and before and after medication have really helped soothe pain and even decrease the mucus in my throat.
I just simply hope that this post will be able to help at least one person.

36 year old Day 4 and the pain has gotten much worse the meds they gave me aren't even touching the pain it hard to swallow and eat breath sleep hiccups,coughs,sneezes forget it
just trying to keep the liquids flowing luke-warm is the key for me
crushing my meds also helps a little
living off of jello/jelly and warm broth and soaked peices of bread
I'm staying away from Dairy all together to much mucus
this is by far the most sick/ill/injured I've ever been
i tried warm salt water everybody was talking about I nearly passed out
because of the pain ! not a good idea well for me anyways
i will write more on my 8th day GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE WHO'S GOING THROUGH THIS I FEEL YOUR PAIN I REALLY DO
AND IT SUCKS

I'm 36 and had 12 years of tonsilitis / strepthroat before having them on. Currently on day 6, and the pain is worse today than any other day. Havent spoken for 4 days, and cant breathe outwards through my nose, got mega swelling going on here. Found gargling a solution of salty water (1 tablespoon to half litre of water) after every meal to clear the residue off helps a lot. Also rough toast with honey is helping clear up the scabs, hurts like a MF but does wonderfully.

I'm 17 and had my tonsils out Friday, February 12th, five days ago. The first two days weren't all that bad. I was on roxicet which was really nice. I ate jello mostly. The pain meds helped me to sleep the majority of the day and night. But after the anti-nausea meds from the hospital wore off, i began to get very sick from the roxicet. I could not keep anything down and as a result i have lost about 15 pounds. The weight loss is great but the feeling isn't. I'm off the roxicet and on plain old extra-strength liquid tylenol. It helps somewhat with the pain. I can eat much more now. This morning I ate some white rice and some apple sauce and have been able to keep it down successfully. I hope this answers some questions. Good luck! It isn't all that bad if you don't get sick from the pain medicine.

:-)

I am 22 years old and my tonsils were HUGE. I had surgery on Wednes.
Hydration is really key to recovery.
I am on day 5 and doing well. If you keep on the meds and drink lots of water eat day it speeds up healing and lessens the pain. I went through a 24 pack of water and 10 gatorades in 5 days if that gives you any scale. My scabs are just starting to come off. Its a stinging, sharp pain but manageable with the pain killers.
Jello, chicken noodle soup, and milky mac and cheese are on my menu.
Its tough.. but worth it if you do what your body says.
\HYDRATION/

I am 32 years old and on the 7th day of recovery. I had to have a stitch to stop bleeding during the procedure so am experiencing a great deal of pain in that area(the surgeon tried to electro-cauterize the area a few times before stitching so it hurts a lot, and the scabbing will be much deeper!). Today I experienced light bleeding after being physically active doing my spring cleaning. Up until this point I'd been enjoying lemonade with lots of ice quite a bit. Now that my scabs are a little thinner it hurts too much. Warm drinks like veggie broth and mint tea are a godsend. The original poster has it right on re: warm drinks - they are wonderfully soothing!
Whenever I have a question or problem I have found the free nurse advice hotline offered by our local hospital to be very helpful. One of the nurses mentioned that benadryl can help reduce swelling and assist with getting to sleep. I haven't taken my pain meds regularly since I got the tonsillectomy. For the 1st two days I took 1/2 - 1/3 of the dose but after that quit altogether with the exception of bedtime dose. The roxycontin doesn't seem to agree with me, it makes me unbearably drowsy, itchy, and causes me to swell up. Benadryl and extra strength tylenol work better, for me, than the narcotics. It is a pity that advil can't be taken due to bleeding risk, I find it to be the best painkiller. My dr. won't prescribe it but celebrex is supposed to be a very effective anti inflammatory and pain reliever that doesn't increase risk of bleeding in post op patients. I am very disappointed she won't as having my pain covered for a week, until I am out of the woods, would be ever so helpful. Tylenol doesn't even take the edge off of the pain for me.
The salt water gargles help a lot with the itchiness I'm starting to have in my throat. The scabs seem to be sloughing off in sections now, that is probably what is causing the itchiness. I had heard that eating right after the procedure thins the scabs and makes them heal faster. I have no idea whether that is true or not but I have been eating solids with pretty good success. It was very painful to eat to begin with but the pain is less and less. Now that the risk of bleeding has increased(7th-11th days) I plan to stick with a full liquid diet. Yogurt and cottage cheese both strike me as good choices, despite being dairy, because they contain probiotics (which are excellent to take along with antibiotics so one's system doesn't get too out of whack!). I have lost weight, though after release from the hospital(after the 23 hour observation period), I was 20 pounds over my usual weight due to swelling that took a couple of days to subside.
Despite the pain and exhaustion I am really glad that I got this done. I am already breathing a great deal better and do feel more vital. If only I could have had my tonsils out 20 years ago!

I am a 39 year old female on the the 6th day of recovery. I had to go to the hospital at day 2 due to dehydration. My pain meds weren't working and had permission to double up but didn't realize I needed to increase my liquid intake also. I received new pain meds, prednisone, and nausea medications because I had been throwing up ... talk about unpleasant. The prednisone has been the most helpful even over the pain meds. I have not used any pain meds today but can feel the sloughing begin, so am nervous about what lies ahead. I see my doc tomorrow. I have used musch gatorade, popsicles, pudding, yogurt, and jello. I have tried mashed potato and scrambled eggs to no avail. I would rather keep with the soft stuff than to have the pain back again. I wish I could say I have lost weight but don't think I have ... that would be an added bonus! I can also say this has been an ordeal. Worse than my hysterectomy for sure, but from what I hear not as bad as some out there ... Again I am nervous about days 7 - 10. Can't wait to hear what the doc says tomorrow.

Test message