I am 4 days post op for a tonsillectomy. The first two days were fine, probably because of the anesthesia and meds given prior to the surgery. I set my phone alarm to go off every 4 hours to take my pain medication (liquid Hydrocodone Acetaminophen) around the clock as well as to drink some ice water to keep hydrated. My ENT stressed the importance of keeping hydrated so I have done all I can to keep drinking fluids. Water is the best. Tried apple juice but it wasn't as soothing. I also used a wet towel on my face at night to allow me to breathe in some humidity at night until I could get a cool mist humidifier. The first night Day3 that I used it, I didn't wake up with a dry mouth and throat. My pain levels have gone up and down. When they are low I seem to be a little more adventurous when it comes to eating. Scrambled eggs, pudding, Popsicles and applesauce are the easiest to eat. I also ate some mashed potatoes and that was okay. Cold feels so much better than warm. I have had a mild headache since my surgery but I believe that it is from caffeine withdrawal! I haven't had any coffee at all except when I tried to drink an iced coffee and I'm normally a big coffee drinker. Everyone says eat ice cream. I have avoided it. Dairy (including my home made smoothie with soy milk) was not soothing at all. Maybe it was the fruit. Also left me feeling Phlemy in my throat. So I am hanging in there. One day at a time I will get through this. Just hoping the doctor gave me enough pain medication to get me through the worst of it.

I having the same problem I can't deal with it

Tell me what I need to do what your number

I'm a 16 year old girl.
It's been a week since the removal of my tonsills and adenoids. The first day whilst in hospital felt great and ate toast and noodles (due to having no feeling from surgery still)
In hospital they gave meds in a liquid form and was ok but since I got out they gave me tablets and each time I try to take one it hits the back of my throat causing more pain. Swallowing hurts, drinking kills!
On about 4th and 5 th day have been my best so far as I started to talk managed to drink a bit and eat a little soft foods.
The phlegm is the worst which has caused me to vomit.
It is actually the worst thing to have done everything just kills

Girl you gotta swallow that water like you need it. Try sips but for me swallowing big gulps works best.

I must concur - I had an abdominal wall reconstruction in June and parts of the recovery weren’t nearly as bad. It’s a constant battle of pain, nausea, phlegm, throwing up... rinse, repeat. Did anything soothe your situation? I’m not doing well at all with dairy and it’s all I prepped for recovery with.

I am 17. And Ive only had 2 meals both were eaten while in pain pills and once they wore off it was hell. It has been 10 days. The night after my surgery I ended up in the ER due to the sweeping of my uvula and then I had two fevers and I've lost 13.6 pounds. It sucks I am hungry and I can barely speak. Hello and ice cream is too acidic for me so I've been eating all natural watermelon popsicles

this helps a lot, my 15 year old going through this. Going to try the chicken noodle soup tomorrow.

26 year old male. On Day 7 of recovery. The pain was awful right when the operation finished and hasn't gotten any worse tbh. Swallowing for the first few days made me wince real bad and I only stuck to super soft stuff (apple sauce, baby food etc) I still cant eat hard food but things like meat loaf and mash potato are filling me up well. The pain meds they gave me (Percocet - 5mg oxycodone, 325 mg acetaminophen) have been great! They really take the pain away and help me sleep. I find I only take half a tablet 80% of the time. Much easier to eat on a pain med. For me not eating and feeling so weak is only adding to the discomfort.

I've noticed that not a lot of people are mentioning humidifiers. I swear, my humidifier has made this so much easier. My throat hasn't been dry once since I left the hospital. The humidifier goes with me every I go and I place it close by my bed at night. I wake up and swallow without water it feels nice and moist. No sharp pain. My ear pain hasn't been that bad either but I've noticed it. If i feel a wave of pain starting to brew I take the meds and I feel comfortable again. My tongue is still numb but it doesn't hurt as much anymore. Some of the scabs are even coming off now without issue.

All in all after a full week I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ate enough yesterday to actually feel a little full for the first time. It's a slow progression but it gets better. I had awful expectations for this recovery - I'm glad the pain fell short of my expectations.

TL:DR Humidifier and percocets have made it less painful than expected.

I'm a smoker and I'm on my 6th day post op. No cravings for cigarette at all! I think if you're in much throat pain, smoking will be the last thing on your mind. Good luck!

29 year old male who is currently on day 8 after tonsils and addenoids removed. My timeline for pain basically has followed everyone else’s.

Days 1-3 - Pain probably at about a 5/10 most of the time. Could really only eat popsickles and drink water.

Days 4-5 - Pain seemed to be getting better, probably around 3/10 both of these days. I thought I would be one of the lucky ones and have an incredibly quick recovery.

Day 6-8 - Pain got excruciatingly worse the past few days because the scabs are starting to fall off, which I was told was going to happen. Feel much more energy and less swollen though on day 7 and today even though haven’t been able to eat much other than popsickles for the past week. Definitely try to eat soup, mac in cheese, whatever you can to keep your energy up. Haven’t been able to because now both the salt and sugary items cause my throat and scabbed areas to sear with pain.

Completely agree with the humidifier. There are times you wake up and your throat pain is unbearable because it gets dry at night. It will be greatly helped by sleeping next to a humidifier to keep it moist. I’ve had instances where my throat gets dry and I will go sit in front of it for 5 minutes and it will greatly reduce my pain.