When I woke up from surgery all I could do was cry because the pain was so insane!

I am on day 3 after my tonsillectomy, upppp, and uvula reduced for sleep apnea. I can honestly say and without a doubt this has to be the most painful thing I've ever had to endure. Swallowing just saliva is about as much pain than I can barely stand without crying! I would never, ever advocate this surgery to anyone now. Knowing how painful it is. I am just praying that it starts to get better, sooner than later.

Day 1 I had issues even swallowing at all. It would go down the wrong tube or up my nose.

Currently I am trying to drink ice water, protein shakes, and buttery pasta to aid it sliding down my throat. Otherwise, all I am doing is resting as much as possible. Trying not to think about rather being dead... Sorry but that's the truth! This surgery EFIN HURTS! And no it doesn't seem to get much better over time.

Things that seem to help me so far: Halls cough drops (strawberry)

ice water, whey protein (no sugar, chocolate made with water)

heat humidifier in my bedroom

soft pasta 1 cup or so at a time with butter (fats/proteins help you heal)

jello feels almost good, if not chewed up to liquefy, probably because jello has a fair share of sodium in it

decongestants for my nose so that I dont sleep with my mouth wide open (musinex D once in the AM only)

sitting practically straight up in bed while I sleep or my throat gets super swollen

and IBP's every 6-8 hours

Things I'll have to try: Gargle salt water

Things that don't work: Ice cream or any dairy (tastes great but leaves too much mucus afterward)

I'm sorry I sound so negative. I am just in so much pain, and so totally wish it would stop. My ears and head also are in a lot of pain. All of which is to be expected.

I am an18 year old male and i had a tonsilectomey and adnoidectomy, she did both at the same time. today is day seven. i have not had a bleeder, and the scabs started coming out yesterday. i just drank cold water ten seconds ago and it sting like a bee back there, one poster siad after tthe scab peels cold water is bad, hmm that help let me try warm tea, also today the pain seems to be only when i eat or drink, and earlier i could eat right now i think the scab is getting ready to peel again and any drinking or eating peels it a little before its ready and it hurts, i never haad a bleeder, and the pain was pretty intense on day 5 and 6 but i never dried or nothing like that, it just made me a little frantic in the middle night trying to get medicine. i have been icing my throat with ice, which aactually reduces swollenness an pain. take the medicine and then ice it till the meds go away, and when you get tot he point where only eating makes it hurt, eat in small spurts then sit down and ice it and it will go away then repeeat, i have been home alone for most of the time, and havent eaten really anything in the first four days, i had soup on day 5 i think and today i ate agains, and ive lost like 20 pounds, it bleeds, but only a little not a bleeder were i need it resealed, the blood builds up like lugie back there over a while then i kinda hawk and pull it forward and spit it out, but there are no vessels exposed yet, and for adam, as far as i know the white spot on ur tonsils is supposed to be the scab, thats what my doctor siad is the white tissue is the scab, my mom had an tonsillectomy, and her tissue is normal color, so if your working and the scab really is still there, and your not bleeding thats insane lol. i find that anythin that get your heart rate up can cause bleeding, also it sounds like you guys all got awesome pains meds, they gave me weak meds, 7.5mg of hydrocodone aand 500mg of tylenol per 3 teaspoons, it wore off in two hours after day 3, so ive started taaking ibuprofen, which is awesome for this surgery, day 7 is thurs i told my boss i would be back on tues, so im going to have to call back and tell here not till june 12th, day 14, my tonsils were mega huge the doctor said and she took my adnoids which she said were also super huge. as for sleeping i have been sleeping on my side, and it always hurts when i wake up, ill try sitting up, but man im hungry, i had no appetite for the first five days, no i could for some steak or rhubbarb pie or awww, i cant wait till i can eat steak or burgers, anyway i just didnt really eat, had soup once, but today i was able toeat a little.

While I'm definitely still quite early on in my recovery (It's 7am on Sunday morning and I had my surgery at 7am on Friday morning), I wanted to share some experiences of what I've found to be the most helpful so far. I have been reading a lot of these forums in the weeks leading up to my tonsillectomy, so naturally I was quite apprehensive, since people tend to have more motivation to post negative/painful experiences.

My primary focus has been to not only eat things that feel good (super cold, etc) but to constantly ask myself if the foods or liquids i'm consuming promote healing. I own a juicer and have been juicing a combination of spinach/celery/cucumber/apples, and then putting into a blender with ice, and adding hemp protein powder. Not only does it feel amazing, but it gives me nutrients that I otherwise wouldn't be able to consume (celery after a tonsillectomy? yikes). One tip would be that if you're not familiar with juicing, to buy one a week in advance so that your stomach can get used to the dense nutrients. Some people report slight nausea when they first start juicing, and the last thing you want to do after a tonsillectomy is induce nausea.

I've been eating a lot of popsicles. They're non-dairy and low in sugar. I got a Jugo Juice smoothie immediately post surgery that had yogourt in it. BIG NO. So much phlegm. Clearing your throat, or even spitting and swallowing are really difficult, so if dairy gives you this type of reaction, there are SO many other options.

For soup, I've been cooking quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) in a rice cooker (great rice alternative, way higher in protein) and mixing it with low sodium organic chicken broth. Once that started to get a little boring, I've been adding humous to that for flavour and protein. Last night, I even went to a local restaurant and had some chicken Pho.

Water, water, water!! My doctor gave great advice regarding this - She said that even if it's painful, the motion of swallowing will actually speed up healing. This may be the painkillers talking, but if you're really having a heck of a time swallowing in the beginning, come up with something that you say to yourself in your head that helps you stay focused. For me i would just think the words "I'm in control, I'm in control, I'm in control" as I was swallowing the liquid - it took away the fear of choking, and gave me something else to focus on.

Get a humidifier. I've found that my mornings have not been too terrible. They're definitely the worst part of the day so far, but if you have a humidifier beside your bed, and a glass of water with pain meds nearby, you're good to go.

I hope that this helps anyone having a rough time with surgery so far. Don't be afraid to reach out to friends to borrow some of these different appliances - I didn't even own a blender or a humidifier, but was lucky to have some friends that did. I already owned a juicer, but I would definitely ask friends if you can borrow theirs! A lot of people buy them with the intention of using them every day, but then they end up collecting dust in their pantry. On the topic of juicing, avoid citrus, and stick to veggies if you can. I predict it'll knock several days off of recovery!

I'll post again as the days progress. Best of luck to everyone.

Wow, this has got to be the most painful experience of my life. Simply said...I have been hit by a car, I have experienced childbirth + a c-section and I have broken my ankle...none of that comes close to the pain of a tonsillectomy. Okay so I am a 27 yo female with a long history of tonsillitis. I am on day 6 of my recovery. My tongue is still swollen and parts of it are numb. Any part that is not numb is in pain. I am taking the Lortabs with 10 mg hydrocodone and 500 mg of Acetominophin. They seem to work for about an hour and after that it is back to the excruciating pain. The pain in my ears is unbelievable. I will say day 4 and day 5 were the absolute worst. I am hoping that it only gets better from here. I have been avidly drinking water and sucking on ice. Today I found that warm things soothed my throat much more than cold things. My uvula does not appear to be swollen. When I swallow though it feels like I am swallowing glass. I am really hoping that this was all worth it. At this point in time, I am thinking that if I could go back in time,,,I would NOT do this over. I guess on a positive note, I have not bled at all. I have been trying really hard to take it easy and not get to pumped up about anything. I have also been eating noodles, lots of noodles and pudding. I am not trying to be negative, I am just venting because I am frustrated with this and it seems like noone really understands what I am going through.

So questions:

When are the scabs supposed to come off?

am supposed to be moving on sat. (my 10th day of recovery) I have people who will lift the really heavy stuff but it is still going to require some work on my end. Will I be okay to do this?

Is eating toast to promote the scabs coming off really a good idea?

Thanks everyone! I hope yall all have a fast and uneventful recovery!

I am a 17 year old female and i had my tonsillectomy on monday (6/14).

For me, day one was completely unbearable and the painkillers they gave me at the hospital didn't seem to do justice, nor has the numbing agent my doctor put in my throat after the surgery. On the first day, I stuck to water and I had chocolate almond milk (it is dairy free) to give me protein so I could take my painkiller.

Day two was worse than day 1, I woke up feeling horribly nauseous and ended up throwing up everything, quickly learning my painkiller did not work for me. We called me doctor and he referred me to the ER where I was hooked up to an IV which gave me fluids, morphine, anti-nausea, and an antibiotic. I felt significantly better when I got home from the hospital and I have felt a bit better since.

Today was day 3. I felt a lot better today, but the ear pain is horrendous. I have eaten cream of wheat, a slushie, and sherbert, but it's horrible seeing my family eat such great food because all I want is a real meal! I have tried to keep up with my water intake, but I aovid swallowing so much that I don't think I'm doing as well as I should be.

I am anticipating the next 2 or 3 days to be even worse and I am so eager to get this over with!

However, I still cannot talk at all no matter how hard I try, has anyone experienced this? When will I regain my ability to speak?

I am going to try gargling with salt water tomorrow, as the phlegm and mucous in my throat have been quite a nuisance during my recovery.

I will post again once I am fully recovered, I am hoping that is soon!!

42 year old male tonsils taken out 6/25/2010 at 1130 am want to thank jackie for being here for me in this stressful time.woke up from anesthesia with a mild sore throat. we left the hospital and went staight to walmart to get meds.walmart said it would take a couple of days to get left their worried.next stop CVS they had every thing.have been drinking lots of water.also tryin not cough ,air purifier and AC.helps a lot.only problem so far is lying down to sleep .i find it hard to breath because my uvula tripled in size .feel a lot better on my day 2 ,drinking lot of water.also use to have a bad cough.for years not coughing as much hope it lasts.

I am a 20 year old on day 7 of my recovery. I really thought I would feel better by now. I feel like c**p and I'm mildly depressed because I feel so bad. Sleep does not seem to work when my pain meds do not last as long as they say they will. I was originally on Loritab (I think that's how it is spelled) I did not allow it to make me nauseated (mostly because the nausea meds my doctor gave me are taken through the butt-great, great man), ten I switched to extra strength tylenol, and it is starting to not help anymore. I am 20 and I feel like a 5-year-old crying for my mommy to come and sleep with me. She has been working night shifts for the last couple nights and that seems to be when I need her most. I don't even know how many Our Father's I've said this week to get rid of the pain. I'm just hoping this gets better. I'm sorry to be so negative. The pain is talking, not me. I have some questions below:

-How can you tell if the scabs are coming off (Every piece of information I got at my doctor's office was geared towards children so obviously it wasn't helpful at all)

-Any tips for preventing sleeping with your mouth open?

Thanks!

Thank you all for the great tips and stories, I found them very helpful! I am a 28 year old male in generally good health, and I'm having my tonsils out in 2 weeks.

My doctor recommended 7-10 days for recovery, but I am wondering how long it takes most adults to be able to talk without too much complication?

I am a sales manager for a very large area with several hundred customers, I talk to people on the phone and visit customers all day long... I'm going to be doing some light work via email from my home office (emergencies only) but I wondered how long it takes most people to return to normal speech, and how long until you can talk without too much pain? I'm definitely turning off and forwarding my phone for the first few days, but talking is a big part of my job, and most people know salesmen talk a lot... ;-)

Could anyone provide some insight?

Post Tonsilectomy as it pertains to PAIN MGMNT. While outcomes vary it is almost without exception that executing a "great" pain med protocol truly spells "RELIEF". Perhaps the best remark I have read on this board is where the patient determined that "One every 4 hours" did not meet her needs. I am NOT advocating abuse at any level but Drs. are not God and cannot tell you when relief is sufficient. The post I read basically stated that the patient asserted that the regimen required for her was "one every 3:40 mins" to cover her pain. The most frustrating pain to manage is "breakthrough pain" because pain medications often give a sense of enhanced recovery. It is more acceptable to understand your history of "pain tolerance" and study the outcomes of those that post on this thread. This is most important for those who attempt a solo post operative experience as one can easily forget time of LAST DOSE. After multiple surgeries I have learned to establish a personal protocol B4 surgery date. That is, speak with Dr., tell him you're a whimp (if true) and DEMAND adequate coverage via presciption. Unfortunately, there are TWO predominant schools of thought regarding Pain Mgnt. 1) Dole out med on a very stingy basis requiring patients to "reach" for recovery - pain keeps you active and fighting so to speak. 2) Patients seem to recover more quickly when they're as comfortable as possible. Finally, YOU must decide which school to attend, NOT the Dr. They work for you and in most cases will equip you with sufficient meds ONCE you assert your needs and competence. You shouldn't suffer needlessly and I haven't read anywhere that trophies are awarded to patients who take the least pain med, yes? Work WITH your Dr. and wean YOURSELF off the meds asap. Thank You

Hi everyone!

It's interesting to see how everyone's recovery is so different!

To begin with, I was lucky enough not to be nervous at all before the operation but one thing that doctors really insisted on ...that not many people have mentioned... is to eat regularly!!

Now is day 5 for me and yesterday was very painful, not so much the first 3, and even though it was very hard to swallow I forced myself to eat a toast and cereals and it did work. It felt awful at the beginning but such a relieve afterwards. All doctors insisted that the muscles in the throat need to be excercised regularly so you need to eat at regular intervals, this will speed up recovery and will avoid ifection. Not eating foods that are easy to swallow but the oppoisite!

Also, I never stop drinking! specially if you eat diary, you need to drink lots of fluids to wash the bacteria and mouthwash without alcohol helps too.

So far, so good. Pain gets worse at times but it is manageable and I insist...eat...eat...eat...things that are hard to swallow!

Also, if it hurts when you try to speak, then don't..they recommend to rest your voice for 2 or 3 days if this happens.

Again, I consider myself very lucky as it hasn't been as bad the things I've read in the forum and I'm so glad I didn't read anything at all before the op! :-) just followed my doctor's advice..and realx whenever you can...keep yourself busy...watch a movie or online scrabble works for me ;-)

Hope it helps :-)

Great text. When in front of a Admin Law Judge once I was representing a disability case (mine) and he shared a bit of important info. He said people do two things wrong when self-diagnosing : 1) They read too much , or 2) They read too little. Your point about NOT reading these posts before surgery was true wisdom. I came here to understand on behalf of my 17 yr old daughter and see exactly what you and the judge meant. Some folk will cloud their case up with complaints "imagined or expected" as a result of reading these experiences. I thank you for such good insight but you are a "hardcore" rehabber with the "toast" thing, yes :-).

Hi, Im on day 5 and this is probably my worst day so far pain wise. My epiglottis is like jelly and very misshapen. Paracetomal and ibuprofen dont touch me. BUT... eating normally is key. So many people ive spoken to say that its better to eat normally, youll heal quicker. Ear and jaw pain is pretty awful. In England, the docs dont call, they dont give u a follow up. So, its over the counter pain meds and your on your own!!The taste is pretty nasty too, so regular brushing and mouth wash is a must.I had pasta bolognese last night, and this was fine. Just chew :-). Nights are the worst. Woke up last night in agony with my ears and jaw, it has subsided a little today but Im not hopeful for tonight. I expect more pain since i dont see scabs yet and theres no itching (just burning).
Worryingly, the surgeon seems to have left a little bit of tonsil on the right side. Well im not going through this again so if I get tonsillitis I will be VERY unhappy!!
To be honest, it was such a botch operation. My pulse was 110 and the nurse didnt seem to think this mattered, even though if its over 100 they are meant to run an ecg.Im needle phobic, and yet they sent a medical student to do my canular.The surgeon didnt even check my throat before I left, didnt talk to me, I had so many questions and when I tried to speak to the nurse she just said she didnt know anything about tonsillectomys!!If your from England my advice would be, avoid the NHS. Go private if you can!!

Take DRAMAMINE :)

I'm 34, just got my tonsils out on Monday (so today is day 3), and one of my concerns was nausea and vomiting from the oxycodone (which is what usually happens with me). On my way home, it occurred to me that dramamine might help, and sure enough, I have been able to take the full dose of pain meds without the slightest nausea. It's a life saver!

What has also helped my stomach is cold veggie broth mixed with soy sauce (for taste), flax oil, and hemp oil (for protein!). This has helped curb my appetite alot, while keeping me hydrated. Having something salty helps maintain electrolytes, which is crucial for hydration. I also generally can't tolerate sweets while on oxycodone (nor do I eat sugar regularly) so I found the saltyness to be very soothing :)

Hope that helps!

I am a 15 year old female i got my tonsils out a week ago i went in yesterday for dehydration i am getting worse not better is there any way i can get better my mom is *****ing at me cause it hurts to drink water and now im up and cant sleep im on day 8 and its not getting any better HELP!