I agree, I'm on day 6 and wish I never got it done! I'm 27 also with a 7 mon old baby to care for during this :/

Thank you, I just had my tonsils and adenoids out yesterday, I'm 47 and OMG, wish I'd done it a long time ago. I just rinsed for the first time, tsp salt, tsp baking soda in pint of warm water has made it a little better for now. And I plan on doing it at least 4 times a day.

I'm 19 and on day 7 of my tonsillectomy recovery and I've been eating normally everyday it actually feels 10x better to eat a piece of toast than an iced lolly. My best advice would be from day 1 to eat as normal as possible, like I said I'm day 7 and I've not experienced much pain at all because I've done what my doctors told me and eaten normally. The toast scrapes the yellow stuff off the back of your throat and actually helps to heal quicker. Eating jelly and ice cream for 2 weeks is just naive and I don't understand how people believe they're going to have a good experience by doing that. EEEAAATTT

I'm 31 and had my tonsillectomy on the 19th of January. The first three days were horrible! I didn't even have energy for my kids. The ear and neck pain was very painful. I tried ice packs around my neck and it helped the pain tremendously. It's day 8 and I'm starving! I think I'll try a cheeseburger without the trimmings. Good luck to those that hadn't had the surgery yet!

23 year old female now post op day 6. First two days were bearable, pain was not as severe as a tonsillitis infection, but definitely hurt. I spend the majority of the first 5 days sleeping. I had no problem sleeping. In fact, I slept like a rock (codeine maybe) I also had no breathing problems at night.

Day 3 was the worst day for me. Woke up crying from excruciating throat pain and a stabbing pain in both ears. Literally felt like someone was jabbing a knife in my ear and twisting it into my brain. I can handle pain. I'm used to throat infection pain, but this... I wanted to die. Also had a swollen tongue which brought me to tears as well.

Day 4 and 5 same ear/throat pain, little less severe.

Here I am on day 6.. Still hurts but I have not taken my medicine today, as I'm trying to wean myself off it to see how I do. Throat pain and ear pain still there. Tongue pain gone. Back of throat is covered in white patches. I guess when the scabs fall off I will be on my way to healing.

Overall it is not fun. I wanted to die the majoritity of the days, but you CAN do it. Push through and be strong. It'll end soon

I am a 16 year old female on day 6 (including the day they were removed). My doctor told me that pain would be worst on days 1-3 and then again when the scabs fell off, but I found that the pain wasn't so bad until day 3. On the earlier days I felt a lot of discomfort and obstruction from the swollen uvula and have also been taking pain meds religiously. However, the pain started to get worse and is absolutely excruciating when I swallow. I have had a very difficult time drinking water or eating anything. Throughout this whole process I have had only a couple bowls of soup and oatmeal loosened with almond milk (I read to avoid dairy). I am incredibly weak and exhausted and disgusted by the horrible breath; I am praying my throat becomes pink again soon but I have no clue when that will be! I am tired of spending every day in pain, and I am incredibly cranky. The referred pain to the ears is also awful, sometimes applying ice packs will help me with the pain. Good luck to anyone getting this surgery, it is painful as hell and I am praying this will be over soon.

40 years old and I'm on day 9. I wish I had better news. Days 7-9 have been excruciating accompanied with fever, & nausea. I thought I was getting better, but things took a dive for the worse. Pain Meds not only stop helping, but caused severe burning and stabbing pains. Left side began to bleed today. This is the worse side that continues to swell, has constant stabbing, burning, PAIN. I want to cry with each swallow. I emailed my nurse on Friday, but haven't heard back. Everything I try to eat and drink is difficult due to the pain. Here's hoping your journey has been much smoother and that my day 10 will be better.

Hello, I'm a 35 year old male who just had a tonsillectomy for apnea reasons. I also had my palate and uvula reshaped and had my septum fixed and my sinuses cleaned while under. I'm on day 9 now. Day 1-4 were a living hell. I've never experienced pain like that in my life. It's kind of hard to remember. I just sucked on codeine until that started burning my throat too much. I found watering down the codeine makes it a lot easier to take. I think I had about 3 ensure's over the first 4 days. I did not care about eating at all. I think having surgery on my palate and uvula at the same time made it very hard to swallow at all. It was like getting the food or drink through 2 pain gates every swallow. By day 5, I was feeling better, but still can't do much. Day 6 and 7 I was itching to get outside, but lack of food has drained my energy. I lost 23 lbs by Day 7. Day 8 was good. Made a road trip and did some business. Discovered an awesome vegetable broth that really goes down good and feels me up. I like everything room temperature. Too cold or too hot are too much. Day 9 woke up with very sharp pain in 1 tonsil. That might be the scabs coming off that I've read about. It's just very frustrating to go backwards. No blood yet, except for my nose. Oh, by the way, imagine having your nose completely blocked with packing while recovering from a tonsillectomy. That's the hardest part. No way to breather while you swallow for 2 minutes.\

Anyway, I guess my tips are: Take the pain meds. Water them down if they are too acidic on your throat. Stay away from anything acidic. Juice, coffee, even yogurt burns like fire. I wouldn't worry about hot and cold as much as acidic or not. I never really got into the popsicles and ice cream. I did a lot of ensures just to get some nourishment, but they are very hard to get down the first couple of days. I drank more water than normal. The last 3 days, I've combined Aloe juice w/ coconut water and found that very refreshing and healing. The vegetable broth is also awesome. Make it homemade with no salt, cause the store-bought is very salty. Mashed potatoes are better home-made also. Something about the chicken place mashed potatoes gives me heart burn.

I hope some of this helps somebody. I know everyone else's helped me. The recovery from this surgery is a really major deal. It should be talked about more. I was amazed at how many people had the same reaction as me. It's something I'll never forget. I will say, however, that my sleep has improved through my recovery, better than before. So I think it works for apnea.

I'm 35 on day 9 and just started getting the pain in the left tonsil. I hope it's not as bad as yours. This sucks.

After reading many reviews I was super nervous pre-op. I'm 22 yr old female and had my tonsils and adenoids removed 6 days ago. I won't lie, days 1-3 were the worst for me. Anesthesia gave me a headache on day 1. Day 2 I threw up that night probably from my meds and lack of eating (Percocet). After that I refused to take Percocet and started controlling the pain with aceminophen (Tylenol) 500mg every 6hrs and the pain has been manageable. Today I've been able to get it down to every 8hrs now. By day 4 I was eating solid foods. I'm a foody and couldn't help but eat even if my throat hurt. Sucking on ice after eating has also helped me. I'm going on day 7 and I'm ready to get out the house. I haven't experienced any ear pain or real sleeping problems either, humidifier has probably helped me a lot. Key is to drink LOTS of fluids (water and gatorade worked for me) and try to eat as normal as possible. Continue to brush your teeth and shower, you will feel better (and start gargling with water when your up for it). Hoping this is a little bit more encouraging for people who have been consumed by horrible reviews like me. There is a light at the end of the tunnel ! Good luck everyone.

Sorry for the ear pain, what would you recommend they feel like they are on fire..

I just had my tonsils out 2 days ago and personally, I wouldn't put it back in immediately.

27 yr old female. Had my tonsils and adenoids removed. Going on day 3 & for me it's been nothing but a nightmare! I've never had this much pain in my life, doctor has me on Vicodin and they aren't very helpful in reducing my pain. Only thing they do is make me tired 24/7 and cause me to have excessive mucus and dry mouth. Go figure. I can hardly swallow due to the mucus and I try to lightly spit it out but it's hard. I'm very congested everywhere. I wish I was lucky enough to not feel like death. I keep an ice pack on my throat 24/7 and that's not doing anything either.

Drink cold coconut water with a splash of aloe Vera juice.

Just had mine done and with 3 ER visits and a second emergency surgery, I would tag team with you in a Hulk Hogan match then have this surgery again.