ok maybe it's cause I'm on day four and cranky but what the heck is wrong with the guest saying on day six eat toast to clear up scabs "hurts like a MF but gets the job done" did you not read anything about this biggest risk for serious bleeding is when scabs fall off your not supposed to eat anything rough like toast or chips for that reason. sorry to seem annoyed but it is s very stupid idea that could actually hurt somebody

I am 27 years old and had my tonsils out lastweek Tuesday. it really hurts to eat and drink but i find im battling with terrible ear ache aswell.
i had them out laser. i only took 4 days off work and i am taking it easy at work i find i am quite miserable from the pain..
my eldest son had his tonsil and adenoids out when he was 2 and the next day you would have never said he went for surgery so my daughter will have hers out next year as i cant imagine her goin thru the pain i am experiencing. makes me wonder if laser is this sore how bad would it have been if i had them cut out???

I had my tonsils out a week ago so I am on day 9 of recovery. Apparently I am a bit of an oddball. I didn't feel any pain; there was discomfort moreso than pain. One of my tonsils was the size of a walnut so that is why they came out. When I woke up in recovery, they gave me a narcotic in anticipation of the pain and just sat and waited around until I could go home. They gave me ice water and popcicles (I LOVE LOVE LOVED popcicles!!!) Banana was the best because anesthesia makes me nauseus and banana tastes the same both ways, if you understand my meaning.

They went a bit overkill on my meds, in my opinion....7 days worth of tramadol in pill form (short-term narcotic), three and a half bottles of liquid morphine (also a short-term narcotic), lidocane gargle (to numb my throat to make pill taking easier), 7 days worth of an anti-inflammatory (pill form) and liquid tylenol (I like the childrens stuff because it got good flavours)

After I got home, I basically slept for the first two days (remainder of thursday and all of friday). I didn't eat much outside of frozen yogurt, ice cream and popcicles. I did have some scrambled eggs after they cooled. Popcicles are best because there's no dairy, which as mentioned,makes the back of your throat all mucusy. When I had ice cream, I made sure I had water with me as well to clear out the dairy.

I really didn't touch most of my meds. I took the morphine at night because it was a bit stronger and I didn't want any pain while I slept, but during the day, I stuck to the childrens tylenol. I took the anti-inflammatory because, well, it's an anti-inflammatory. I didn't need the other stuff and I wanted to stay away from the narcotics the best I could. I didn't take the morphine at all after day 4.

I was bound and determined that I was going to have Christmas dinner so I took transitioning to solid foods pretty slowly. As mentioned, I started with eggs, had corn twists for snacks (they're awesome because they basically melt so you don't get chunks forever stuck), creamy mashed potatoes, well-cooked broccoli etc. By the time Christmas rolled around (day 7), I wasn't able to eat much since my appetite was pretty much gone, but I had a bit of everything. I ate the dark meat because it's more moist.

Things I avoided:

fruit smoothies - the tiny seeds are little razors of agony

citrus - liquid pain

anythings hard/crunchy

chocolate - it's more acidic than you would think. STINGS!!

Things I enjoyed/worked for me:

banana popcicles - chocolate hurt, not supposed to have red/purple because it hides the evidence of blood, I never liked the orange flavoured, so my options were limited, which was fine because I love bananas anyways.

Sleep! - the miracle of nature. Your body does A LOT of recovery while you are sleeping, so sleep as much as you can.

Today, I am going to try some Halls because I think I am getting a cold and coughing just seems like a bad idea.

I am on day 21. My tonsil are is very bumpy and honestly looks like they are growing back. They are still painful and seem to be re-scabbed over. Has anyone experienced this? My doctor said its normal but it's been 3 weeks and I thought I'd be almost back to normal by now :/

ur hvn ur tonsils removed the hell with that tounge ring it will be the very very last thing on ur mind! lol after thi procedure u wont even want to think about putting anything in ur mouth lol trust me it is ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE

let them be stupid! they should know that something crunchy is going to do more harm! lol i am cranky as hell too!

Thank you for your positivity. I am having a tonsillectomy in a couple weeks and have, for the most part, avoided doing online research because I know it'll just scare me. I am starting a juicing fast 1 week before surgery and hoping that clearing the toxins out of my body and continuing to keep them out after surgery will help me heal faster. I just wanted to research if there are certain fruit/veggie juices that are especially good after a tonsillectomy so I googled that this morning and it brought me to this feed because of your post. Unfortunately I read a few other posts before yours that frightened me to tears. But then saw yours, and it gave me a little hope. So I'm not reading any more posts in this feed but wanted to thank you for yours!
Emily

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi there! Im sixteen I got my tonsils out mar 16 th today is may 30 th. The first week I couldnt eat nothing at all, I tried a few bites of noodles the fourth fifth and sixth day, never could eat them. It was still too swollen, and hurt. The seventh day I was just sitting in my bedroom, felt fine. And all the sudden I had a mouth full of blood. It kept coming and coming. When I got checked in the hospital I had already lost alot of blood they had to give me more. And I got life flighted to surgery. Turns out an artery on my right side busted. I wasnt staying hydrated enough. My throat got dry. So I got out the next day and made sure I was staying on my water. But the first week all I wanted was jello. Now I just drink the juice of cambel chicken noodle soup. But on the ninth day I ate half of a glazed donut with milk. I eat the noodles noe. And today I took a few bites of a baked poatato. And I ate a peanut butter sandwhich. Although after the artery busted the docter said liquid only for a week. Then I go see him june fourth. And hell tell me if I can eat soft foods yet. But I already feel alot better and im getting better at swallowing and I dont really need my pain medicine. Just cant wait to get where I can eat chips! Hot cheetos! Well I wish you all the best dont be stupid like me drink plenty! Good luck!

I am 35 and had my tonsolectomy done about 6 weeks ago.  This has been the worst pain i have ever experienced... Lost 18 pounds and had the worst recovery during days 2-7.  I am much better now and even though I am happy with the results if I would to gave to do it again I would say HELL NO!!!....  I dont ever again want to go through such pain... Not like I would ever have to do this again!  Pain was pretty bad! Good luck to whomever is going to have this procedure... Just try to think positive and hope you are onr of those lucky people that post nothing but good comments.

Hello all,  I am 47 years young and I had a tonsilectomy this morning at around 8:45.  I had very little bleeding they told me and have not seen any blood thus far!  Thank the creator!  I have suffered with a extremely bad case of tonsil stones and all of its side effects for most of my adult life and it has made me have a very very poor quality of life. I even had one co worker at one point make reference to klling herself if she had a conditiion that wasn't curable or caused her to suffer in life.  For years no one could determine what the cause of my illnesses were.  As of right now some approximately 12 hours after the surgery, I would do it again.  I am reading the posts on this forum and many others and see that this appears to be such an individual journey one has to really think positive, take a proactive attitude and steps toward surgery and recovery, and pray daily or have faith that everything will work out and remember that "this too shall also pass".  This is a believe that I have had in my mind and spirit since I began getting ill years ago.  So now I am looking forward to physical balance with myself, my mind, and my spirit in the time appointed to me by the universal creator and myself.

God Bless everyone and may you all achieve physical balance!

I had the same type of surgery that you had performed on me on 9/3/14. I ended up in the hospital on 9/8/14 because I couldn't swallow anything.

Six weeks later and I'm able to eat just about anything (but food still feels stuck in my throat for hours) and drink water without a straw but very carefully because I still feel it trying to come through my nose. Had a swallow test done (as part of my swallow therapy) and it showed that some liquids are still going up and trying to come out of my nose.

I too, would not wish this surgery on anyone. This is the worst feeling I've ever had. I don't even want to see my ENT anymore but have to get another sleep test done so the numbers can be compared.

4 days that is amazing, I am 39 on day 9 and the pain is SLOWY becoming lest intense...glad you had a quick recovery, that seems rare.

"Also, SaraLiz, you say you ate sherbert not ice cream because dairy increases phlegm, but then the next two items you list are yogurt and cottage cheese, which are obviously both dairy products. So, maybe you should have eaten the ice cream too." Another interesting fact. Ice cream and milk, and yogurt and cottage cheese are different kind of dairies.. Saraliz was completely correct in what she said and chose to do. The type if dairy in ice cream and milk does cause more phlem.. Where as other dairies do not. I would suggest avoiding ice cream!

Don't not have the surgery! I hade my tonsils removed 8 days ago ever since I've been hating myself and those you even said it was a good thing. I would rather put up with the sickness one a month for the rest of my life. The best part of the opp is that I've lost Wight alot of Wight I can't eat can't frink can't talk.horrible disgusting taste in my month having to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes to spit. I'm so fresty I will give everything I have to be able to drink a glass of water without the pain or it coming up and down my noise because I can't swollow. If you have half a brain don't do it. If you choice to Ingore this you will hate yourself for not listing I've been reading blogs from peoople who had it opp also and the recovery time is not 2 weeks it's 2 months ppl are saying they still can't eat I will rather die if this goes on for another week let alone 2 months

I am 47 year old male who had my tonsils out this past Friday Jun 26th. Have been having quite a bit of pain. I very strongly agree with the others in the forum in regards to limiting dairy, as it increases mucus production. I sleep with a humidifier next to my head. I take my liquid narcotic pain medication wait for about and hour and while it is at its peak I drink two bottles of gatorade and one bottled water. I have managed to stay hydrated this way. I have been sleeping very poorly. I feel very weak having just liquids, today I had scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes which really increased my strength.