I had my first blackout when I was 19, I'm 21 now and have had 15ish since then. Highlights include drinking a 16 oz. bottle of vodka in a half hour and waking up in my bed the next morning not remembering how I got there. The scratch down the side of my car told me I drove. I would like to think that my drinking isn't a problem because I don't drink that often, but I'm starting to realize that the amount I drink is definitely a problem. I can drink casually just fine most of the time, but every once in a while I have a ridiculous amount.

Personally, I don't act that different during a blackout. I don't get violent or start arguments or anything. I've heard that I do get touchy/grabby with girls, which I would never do sober. For me it's basically the same as being really drunk except I'm not going to remember it. Your inhibitions are lowered and you don't think about consequences. You're running on impulse. It's why girls are having random sex during blackouts, the sex drive takes over and they aren't thinking about the consequences. Thankfully I don't think I have to worry about that being a guy, I really doubt any girl is going to try to take advantage of me.

You do have to be held accountable for your actions. If someone can't control their actions while drinking, maybe they shouldn't drink. I realize that I could have easily killed someone the night that I drive home, and if I did, it would be something I'd have to live with. But nothing happened (whew), now I get to question this destructive behavior without any major consequences.

They are terrible things. The terror and panic that come with them are even worse. "Who did I see? "What did I do? ect.....

I experienced one yesterday while heavily drunk. Somehow I went shopping for a big bag of veggies for my guinea pig in the store, went to the pet shop and bought a huge bag of bedding for him and along the way managed to pick up cans of cider, a bottle of wine and a bottle of rum.

I'm just ashamed in case I said something bad to anyone I may have met.

Now it's 4.30am and I'm typingf this with a bottle of Rum next to me and not a clue what I did or said yesterday!

saying that someone in a blackout is totally in control of moral and social decisions, well that is just stupid. They are drunk. I dont know if you know this, but chemicals can affect the brain. This is why you are hyper when you drink caffeine. Im not saying a drunk person is absolved of all responsibility, but to say that a drunk person, especially someone in a blackout, who is calling a police officer a bastard, you really think he/she wants to abuse the police? No, they are drunk and are just spouting off for the sake of it. If you hold blacked out drunks accountable 100% for their behavior there would be a significant population without friends right now. Someone said that a drunk person in a blackout is only doing what their instinct tells them...LOL...that is retarded. The people that do stupid things while in a blackout are only doing them because alcohol has reduced their ability to gauge the consequences, not that alcohol has shown that they really did want to just piss on that car...are you serious? Its like smoking pot just reveals how much of a fan you are of Cheetos...get a grip..alcohol is a drug that affects your behavior...i thought this was like old news..

So where do we all go from here? I've been to AA ...not for me. I quit drinking and then felt like I could handle it and started again only to realize that if I am not in a good mindset all of my emotions come out when drinking. I have been blacking out for years.I am so tired of saying sorry to people i hurt and not remembering it. I pretty much have sex only when I am drunk and always black it out. I believe this stems back to when I was 14 and had sex for the first time with some 19 year old and was drunk. I have never had a heathy relationship with a man because of this.
So how do I get past this? I am almost 28 and have been binge drinking since 13, where do I go? I don't want to stop, I feel like its unfair that I have to have this disorder and lack of self control. How can I control this and move on?

Its good to see others are like me on this board. If anyone has any advice please let meknow.

Oh,my. I feel like a 17 year old kid again. Let's see. I drink a liquid , drink more, then I lose my memory for the next several hours. People I believe will tell me the truth, tell me I behaved wildly out of character. I apologize but feel terrible about it. Unless they all think it was innocently funny so I'm cool. I go someplace with people I know -mostly- and trust and do like they do, drink some innoculous tasting drink; drink more and again I lose my memory for the next several hours,but this time I wake up someplace I don't remember going, without any clothes and next o someone I don't like much. I am overwhelmed with shame guilt and regret. Later my friends tell me I acted like a penis and hit on everone I saw. After a while I disappeared and none of my friends came looking for me since I was being so obnoxious. I resolve to never do that again and worry there is something terribly wrong with me, my character. So the next time--fill in the blanks kiddies. Could it be --n0--I am a lightweight, no real man and can't hold my ---you know. Yes, Virgina, it's the booze. Make a decision. Make the one that won't lead to years of self-loathing hell. I didn't make the decision to just leave it alone like I'd leave hot peppers alone if they hurt my stomach and made me sick. I'm an alcoholic,57 years old, sober a loong time but still wish I could go back for a do over. I've had an ok life, but nothing can make up for th damage i did to myself and the 13 years of hurt I caused others. Make the simple choice now or spend the rest of your( could be a very brief) life trying to figure out whay went wrong. It's simple-- your choice. But remember, if you do what I did--set out with sober determination to prove I could drink like anybody else-- you may lose what may be a simple and easily made choice now and spend a great deal of time, money relationships,jobs not to mention haeartache trying to get it back later--if you are lucky. Good Luck.

i too experience blackouts. 23 and drank heavily from 16-21 or so. i gave it up completely for a while and only recently began trying to start again fresh. i only drink less than a 6 pack if i do drink these days.
i always believed the blackouts to be, entry level alcohol poisoning. you start off slow and increase the pace, and your body reaches it's conscious level and boom. youre gone until you wake up or you recover from it. time traveling some comedians call it.

learn to drink slow and not as much. ive found if you sip liquor(not take shots) you get much more silly drunk with none of the bad stuff. things ive tried more recently is buying the small 4-6oz liquor bottles and slowly sipping them all night. at most, you're getting 3-4 shots max or so and you're spacing it out over the whole night. ive had much more pleasurable drinking experiences with this method. i've found it also allows me to feel more in control and happy during the drunk because i know i'm not really out of control. i'm actually doing the allowing of myself to be goofy, not my being out of control doing it for me.

to sum up....blackouts are scary, alcohol can be scary, and you can be scary on too much alcohol. drink responsibly!

Her blackouts are real.
And if she did have sex during one it would be because she was being disrespected.
An honest man would not take advantage of a girl that drunk if she would not usually consent to that behavior.
I understand that you are "trying to help", but maybe you should believe your friends because if you don't they shouldn't stay your friends.
She does have an alcohol problem but her bigger problem is having a jerk for a friend.
I'm an alcholic and I was actually raped during a blackout. I only know because I remember exactly 3 seconds in the middle of it, distantly.
Even though I know that it was rape, I still accept responsibility for letting my drinking get that out of hand.
If she did blackout and cheat, she would probably still accept just as much responsibility as if she hadn't been blackedout. That is of course, if she remembers doing it.

so a couple nights ago i went to a party at a friends house. my big sister took me and then promptly left to go to another party, while she was MIA i proceeded to take shots of vodka and played a couple rounds of beer pong. i dont remember anything past the third round of beer pong, but i do remember going to sleep on a bed at the party...when i woke up i was in a car in men swim trunks with two guys i really don't know going up highway 70.... which is completely out of the ary i was in at the beginning of the night...i remember a cop shinning a bright light in my face and telling me my pants where around my ankles..... the two boys were arrested and i had my mom come get me.
i think i was slipped rohypnol?
its really scarry and you shouldn't mock her....
its scary to think you did things and cant remember....

i'm sorry but blackouts is something i suffer from very regularly i know its due to quantity and everyone is different when it comes to handling it so if you cant control how much you drink and it leads to blackouts there is an easy solution... stop drinkin if you cannot help havin more than you need,it is not as hard as you think and who is really going to judge you for it? whenever i go out nowadays i drink slower try to stick to the same drink, though it is hard to do so a little self discipline goes a long way, also to be fair who really wants to the infamous person at a party, as they say drink responsibly,if not have good ppl around you,its half the battle to be fair

I have a question for everyone posting on this subject;
I had a partial black-out last week (can remember parts, maybe even the whole jist of the evening but not sure), and don't remember how I got home, but woke up with all my clothes on and without setting my alarm to go to work.

All day I was depressed and in a panic that something bad had happened the previous night, my number 1 concern being that I was raped, although I had NO physical symptoms or memories that would suggest that had taken place. I had a horrible day because I had somehow lost my glasses and had to leave work early to get new ones before the shop closed, and was just generally mortified that I had put myself in such a position.

So my question is, do you think the panicky feeling means that something really bad must have happened that I have no memory of, or that it's likely my interpretation of the night based on the negative consequences and general irresponsibility of the situation? At this point I almost feel like I'm convincing myself that there's something more too it and obsessing on it. I should also note that even when I am drinking this heavily (which is rare, thank God), I can't think of a single instance that something traumatic happened and I had no memory of it...

I had 2 similar situations where I blacked out. Once, I drove home, dropped off my friend and drove to my house, which was 25 min away. without incident. I don't remember ANYTHING...nothing!
Then I recently drank and said and did things, that again, I dont remember. Both times I drank Cherry Bombs (red bull and vodka). NEVER AGAIN!
I made a fool of myself, and of my friends and the worst part, I DROVE while drunk...NOT GOOD! I don't even remember doing it! Very scary! I never had blackouts before. I'm not a big drinker at all, but I think I just hit my limit with those cherry bomb shots.
I learned my lesson completely!

Bottom line is, don't drink and drive

For last two years I must have had 100's of black outs after drinking too much of alcohol. I never took it that seriously but after readings all the posts here, I think its a serious matter. In one nite, after having 12-14 drinks(Vodka+Red bull), i never remembered what all happened last night. I drink 2-3 times a week and whenever i drink, i dont stop before 12-14 shots or drinks. Still i dont think i have a drinking problem. Sometimes i feel as if, it helps me in expanding my horizon. I dont remember if anything good or bad has been done to me or other way around coz i never thought about previous night. I would have gone into depression if i kept thinking about whatever could have happened to me during black outs. I drove car many times, ate food, next morning i had no idea how i came back home, where did i eat until i found bills in my pocket. I think a lot and i dont know...God Bless u all

Honey,
If you want REAL answers and not just all of our opinions, go to a medical website. Some good one's are Mayo Clinic; Johns Hopkins; and even WebMD. What you're getting here is everyones slant on things. Like saying someone won't have 'real' black outs unless they drink everyday is just not true. Good luck.

Funny thing, I came across this blog because I was searching for answers to my own long blackout history after it happened for the first time in years last weekend. It's comforting to know that their are other people who can relate and offer opinions on it because it is a very serious, scary, and dangerous thing. I too am one of those people who blacks out very easily. I'm 24 and have pretty much curbed my drinking to 1-2 drinks whenever I am out with friends I know well and trust. I don't think I'm an alcoholic because I don't crave alcohol or feel that I need it to function or cope, but as someone else mentioned, it's like I reach that ONE drink that is one too many, usually only after 3 drinks, and all of a sudden, it's like I cross this threshold where I just want to keep drinking more and more and I start saying and doing things I don't remember the next day. My freshman year of college I tried partying as much as everyone else, taking shots, etc. because it initially made me feel more outgoing, fun, etc. Because drinking was new to me, I figured everyone else experienced the same thing--that they just blacked out at some point and that it was normal not to remember things after a certain point in the night. But when my friends started telling me mortifying things I did but couldn't remember, things I felt so embarrassed and guilty about, I began to worry. Pople were also getting tired of taking care of me and cleaning up after me whenever we went out to drink. The second week of freshman year, I blacked when drinking with a guy I had just met and only have a couple memories of him raping me. Even though I remember crying while it was happening and several distinct seconds of what was happening, I can't remember anything else! I woke up naked, terrified and completely dioriented, not knowing for sure what had happened. Because I didn't take blacking out seriously, I wound up in a situation that has damaged my trust with men since, not to mention, the feelings of depression and disorientation afterward prompted me to get counseling and a prescription for anti-depressants. I eventually transferred from the school because I didn't know how to handle what had happened to me. Last weekend, nearly six years after my freshman year experience, I went out with a friend, wasn't paying attention to how much I was drinking, passed into the danger zone again, and ten hours later woke up in bed with someone I had just met! According to my friend and the people we met when drinking, we walked around town, met up with several groups of people, continued partying, and had dinner, returned to the hotel, and I remember none of it! If your friend is blacking out and saying she doesn't remember doing the things she did, she is probably telling the truth. But it sounds like, fortunately, nothing bad enough has happened yet that she really regrets not being aware of the decisions she made. Which means now is a good time to talk to her about the physical and pychological perils of blacking out. I wish I had understood the risks of what I was experiencing before the devasting things happened to me that I can't change now. Also, I'm glad a few people posted that blacking out means entering a poisonous level of blood alcohol content. If the prospect of doing terrible things or getting raped isn't enough to make someone take blacking out seriously, knowing that it means you could die should be. Thanks for all of the input and advice here. Good luck with your friend.

:$ i know the feeling. i was at a party and was upset with the guy that i was dating so instaed of me talking about it more than i already have i decided to take shot after shot i lost count after my 11th shot. his friend's girlfriend took me to her house and thats the last thing i remember. i woke up the next morninglaying next to my ex boyfriend . according to him i called him up and we had a 3 hour session in his car. i know that if i was sober that wouldve never happened. i would like some advice to prove to the guy i was dating that he meas the world to me and imreally willing to do anything to win him back.