Please check out this website and see if it looks familiar.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi I am a felmale I have a lump near my chest it comes and go I be in pain I fell vey tried I my whole body be in pain I have chest pain and sometimes fell weak. Do someone have an answer for me

I came to the conclusion that it is inflamation of the nerves around the neck... Never can get a straight answer so I came up with this answer myself... I'll do some research... I could be wrong... Let me know what you think...

In relation to all the other post about the swelling at the base of the neck by the collar bone. I just went to the doctors today and he told me that it is problems with my Sternocleidomastoid muscle. He gave me muscle relaxers and naproxin. I looked this up on the internet and it said that it causes dizziness (which I don't have), facial pain (which I don't have) and can also cause Ear and Sore throat problems (Which I don't have!!). So I guess at this point, I'm really not sure. I had an ultrasound or x-ray 3 years ago and he said at the time of the test, my muscles were spasming during the test, but can't really tell me what is going on. I hate this because it makes my neck look huge. Today when I went to the doc's, I have pain shooting down the base of my neck, radiating down my arm almost to my fingers and pain in the back of my shoulder blade, (which in the site for sternocleidomastoid muscle problems, none of my symptoms should be happening!!) I am really frustrated and just would like an answer as to why this keeps doing this!!

Add another one to the many who are experiencing this unusuall swelling. I have it as well, both sides although more prominent on the right, feels like a gel pack, it's definately not lymph related or thyroid or stress related in my case. First showed up a coupla years ago when I had a bad breathing episode. I got into an area where there was a bad wind storm next to a fertilizer plant. The next morning I thought I was having an asthma attack although I don't have asthma. Ever sense I've noticed it daily. And it sometimes is greater when I have breathing difficulties or the air quality is bad. Goes down while I sleep but doesn't take long to come back once I'm up. Recently, I had a episode of chest pain and inability to breath, the neck swelling was huge! Went to the hospital via ambulance, heart is ok but over night I have developed high blood pressure which is no where in my family history. So I am currently going to lotza doctors and lotza different test, but no one has found a reason for this swelling.........next stop, a pulmonologist........

Glad to hear of others who have the same thing. I searched the web trying to find others who had this when mine first appeared and couldn't find a thread like this. Several years ago, after taking some antidepressants, my hair started falling out and then this swelling appeared above the collarbone on the left side. It gradually got larger and harder and now the right side is beginning to swell as well. One doctor told me, just by looking at it, no tests, that it was lymphodemia, and told me to come back in a year. The next year, after it had grown, I had an ultrasound that showed nothing, then a few years later a scan to look at the lymph nodes which showed nothing but did show a small goiter on my thyroid growing into the throat. My doctor says the swelling is not related to the goiter. A surgeon looked at the lumps last year, didn't even feel them, and declared it was just fat. I felt insulted since I am mildly overweight. I have days at a time when I feel pressure in my chest, can't get a full breath and feel panicked, and have episodes of pain that run from the large lump down through my chest and down the left arm. I hate to see a doctor any more because they act like I'm a hypochondriac even though I have these lumps that are definitely not normal. They're keeping a watch on the goiter, which they keep telling me everybody has one so it's no big deal but I still think there has to be a connection between the lumps and the thyroid. Just wish I could find a doctor who could figure out what's wrong.

OH, boy. Well, hope not to make this too long. About 3 1/2 yrs. ago I had a swelling on the left side of my neck just above the collar bone that kept getting bigger until it hurt so bad that I went to the emergency room. It was the same as many of you described - soft gel-like mass. It ended up being a 2" blood clot in my jugular vein. After medication finally dissolved the swelling, doc noticed an enlarged lymph node which was removed & sent out for analysis. It came back as Mesothelioma which is an incurrable cancer obtained from asbestos. So far still alive, but now have swelling on both sides of my neck & waiting for test results - again. Good luck to all.

I have had the same "swelling" on both sides of my neck (off & on) for 6 years now. It has gotten progressively worse over the yrs. and No Doctor has any idea what it is. Yes, it's like a "gel-pack". It is called "Edema"(fluid in the tissues). No pain.
Here is what I think is important for Everyone with this condition to do: Please add this info. to your post. NOT to be used for any reason other than to attempt to discover what this is. My husband is a Ret. PA/RN & thinks it is Hormonal.
I will use myself as an eg; 1) Gender: Female 2) Post menopausal-between 45 & 60 y/o 3) Recovering alcoholic-but drinking heavily when it started 4) 2 children-2 Ab's, 5) Smoker (35 yrs.) 6) Surgeries: Gallbladder removed 3 yrs ago & had a Cervical tumor removed 6 yrs ago. 7) Was a Nurse and Radiation Health Physics Tech. 8) From New York State but lived in New Orleans, Florida, Washington (state), Idaho & have lived in Mexico for 7 yrs now. 9) Take thyroid medication, b/p med, Protonix (pantoprazole)-similar to "Prilosec" 10) I also have "Cysts" in the pubic area that started about the same time as this "swelling" and Menopause.
I think we may find common "things" which may help Doctors figure out what this is. It does not correlate with Anything I do or take. It just "happens" and lately it is constant.
So far, almost All of the complaints I am reading sound like they are from women. Has anyone had "hormone studies" done?
What I see is this: Menopause, Cysts, Cervical tumor removed all around the same time this "Swelling" began.
Good Luck. Hope we can help each other where the M.D.s can't.
Docmex

So glad I found this board.. Docmex I believe you and you hubby are spot on! I am 56/ ex nurse, recently gone thru menopause, had last child at 42 yrs old, had a benign thyroid adenoma removed 10 years ago. l have lived in NC for the last 20 years, most nursing done in hospital ICU/Office Work and Urgent Care. I noticed this swelling exactly as people are describing as gel like, edema like, but not pitting above my left clavicle. Don't know how long it's been there as I just noticed it last week. I am an ex smoker,quit 20 years ago, social drinking, never heavy. Am seeing my MD tomorrow to make sure she does not feel any enlarged lymph nodes. I personally cannot feel any. Knowing her I will have a battery of test scheduled. I will pick and choose what I do. Most important I think a CBC and sedrate. I also have adhesive capsilitis (frozen shoulder) in my left shoulder. I have wondered if that has anything to do with the swelling. When I am extremely stressed I feel like I have a lump in my throat. I can drink a glass of wine and that feeling goes away.

I am not a huge fan of traditional medicine although I know it has its place when needed. I have been following Dr. Oz and Andrew Weil's advice long before Oprah ever heard of them.

I am looking at this as a wake up call to pay attention to my body and how I live. Time to slow down, eat healthier,exercise and get my priorities straight.

I, too, have swelling just above the collarbone on both sides - for about 15 years now. It has stayed the same size all these years. I developed the swellings after I had a molar pulled and the doctor gave me a cocktail of drugs for the pain and swelling. After a day or so I decided to check on all the drugs he had given me or prescribed. One of them was Decadron for inflammation and swelling. Well, when I read that Decadron is a steroid I decided to stop taking it, and did not follow the directions and taper off the dosage; so I was on day 3 when I abruptly stopped taking it. I don't remember how long after that I developed the swellings. A few years later my primary doctor sent me to an endocrinologist to see if he could determine what it was from. He gave me a cortisol test and said it was normal. But the swellings looked like a Cushing's type swelling and he said I was probably right it was from Abruptly stopping the Decadron instead of tapering off. It would be interesting to know if there is anyone else out there with swelling above the collarbone that abruptly stopped taking some form of steroid medication - like Decadron, Prednisone, etc just before the swellings developed.

I am experiencing the same problem. The swelling seems to be more pronounced on my left side than on my right. I noticed someone said they have hypothyroidism, as do I. I noticed someone said they have swelling within their arm pit, as do I. The swelling in my arm pit is on the same (left) that has a more pronounced swelling. I noticed this swelling about 6-8 months ago, and it really has not changed in size. I am a smoker (maybe 1/2 pack a day), and have been for 30 years, but I am NOT a drinker. I would be interested if anyone finds an answer to this unexplainable swelling.

I have had these swellings for 2 years, they have not been a problem until about 6 months ago, when i started to get pain on the left side under the collar bone, now its moved to the right and is under the muscle at the back, it very painful and makes me feel sick some times, the doctor cant find out what is the cause, they get so big and people look and ask whats wrong, no answers though.

Here's my history......I'm 57, never drank, never smoked, never drugs of any kind. I'm in generally good health.and only about 15 pounds over weight. I have allergy related breathing issues and have had pnuemonia every year since i was an infant. I had a complete hysterectomy, ovaries and all because of endometriosis when I was 27, been on .625mg of premarin ever since ........Up until July 2010 I took no medication besides premarin, then I found out I had high blood pressure and began having migrains. I noticed the swelling in my neck about 2 years ago on both sides of my neck just above my collar bones. My general MD didn't have an answer, the cardiologist I see for high blood pressure didn't have an answer, the nuerologist I see for migraines didn't have an answer, the orthopedic surgeon I see for arthritis didn't have an answer, the chiropractor didn't have an answer. I've had a CT of the head and neck and it didn't show up anything. All I can say is that the swelling is there all day every day but is increased on days I have difficuties in breathing.....

Has anyone found answers to the swelling on both sides of neck at collar bone? I have it too, and can not find any pictures or anything on the web....

I am mid-forties (female) in Texas and I have also had the "gel-pack" swelling above the clavicals for about 3 months. My healthcare provider said it is a result of a mild scoliosis in my back that has shifted the shoulders and the the "swelling" is actually muscle. I didn't like the answer because she said it wouldn't go away even as I lose weight and I'm also not sure about that answer because the symptom showed up so abruptly and was not correlated to weight gain. I cannot tell you how relieved I am to find this thread, however, as it really helps not to feel alone!