Recently, I heard something about celiac disease. What is this condition? Why do people get it? Is it dangerous? Son of my friend has it and I would like to know more about it. Thanks for any information.

Celiac disease is a genetic disorder which sets off an autoimmune response that causes damage to the small intestine. This happens when people with CD eat certain types of protein, called gluten. This causes the small intestine to lose its ability to absorb the nutrients found in food leading to malnutrition and a variety of other complications. The term "gluten" is a generic term for the storage proteins that are found in grains. Celiac disease cannot be caught curing the years but the potential for CD can be in the body from birth. Women are more likely to have this disease then man. It is not known exactly what activates the disease and this disease is life-long and currently incurable. Some environmental, emotional or physical event in one’s life is possible triggers of this disease. The only known treatment at this time is strict adherence to a gluten-free lifestyle.