Hey. I woke up about an hour ago, actually my cat woke me up. She loves to do that. I think she can somehow sense when I’m tired, cause whenever I can’t open my eyes because of how tired I am, she desperately needs something- usually to go out for a walk, to eat, to drink or she is just seeking for attention. Anyway, she woke me up about an hour ago and I’ve noticed her leg is kind of swollen. Not much, but it’s noticeable. Does anyone here have experience with these things? How do you treat a swollen leg in cats?

Umm… I’d like to know what caused it.

Maybe she injured her leg or it can be something more serious. I wouldn’t go for the home treatment before having her examined by a vet.

What if the cause of it is some serious problem and you discover it when it’s too late. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s probably nothing serious but why wait anyway. Take here to the vet tomorrow.

It can be some sort of allergy or she might have been bitten by something. Go check and then I’ll tell you what is the right treatment, or even better, you’ll hear it from the vet and you can then share it with the rest of us. :)

Hello. You don’t have any idea what caused it, right? I really think that this is nothing serious but just in case you need to tell your vet about this. Swollen leg in cats can be really serious and that is why it needs to be treated right. My mother’s cat had very similar situation. Her cat had abscess between her toes. It was really painful. She took the cat to the vet and he shave her paw. This was the only way to find this causes and to clean it. Her cat was pretty good after this until she needed to walk again. Maybe you will need to clean your cat’s leg more often to be cleaned totally.

No, I really have no idea what might have caused it. @Rubylock don’t do that, you are freaking me out. The chances for her having a tumor or something like that just because her leg is swollen are minor right? Right?? I thought she might be allergic to something, but she was never allergic before. I also thought the reaction would’ve been worse if it was an allergy. This is barely noticeable, I was showing it today to my sister and she doesn’t even see it. So can you suggest me something that will help her and make the swollenness disappear?

:)) Sorry.

It wasn’t my intention to freak you out.

I just want you to be aware that it may not be a simple injury and even if it probably is something that is easily fixable it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take your cat to the vet, just in case, and make sure there is nothing serious hiding behind that swollen leg.

If you’re asking for the home treatment, just find the cause of the swelling and eliminate it.

Check for foreign objects, wounds, or overgrown nails. If you find anything remove it safely and clean the wound. That’s all.

You didn’t freak me out :) But I can see that Mima is totally freaked out :/

I had the similar situation :) I didn’t know why my cat leg is swollen and her leg was bleeding as well :) It is not nice thing when you don’t know what was the cause of swollen leg in your cat.

I went to see my vet and he told me that I am not interested in my cat? What???

He found some small nail in her leg and it was not possible for me to see because it was under her hair.

I’ve treated swollen leg in my cat like hundred times :/

Sometimes I didn’t even notice when she hurts her leg and I remember that the vet always attacking me because of it.

There are so many ways to treat swollen leg in your cat. First, you need to find out what has happened exactly.

You need to check if leg feels hot. If it is, you should be concerned about premature closing of bite wounds resulting in an infection.

Check foot pads and check her leg between toes.

If you deal with the infection, your cat will be OK.

Good luck!

Sorry Millie, but the vet is not just saying that. How can you not notice a wound on your cat’s skin? Especially when you see that her leg is swollen. You need to check her skin regularly, not just because of these things but because of fleas too. You need to know what’s going on under the hair. Take this as a friendly advice cause I know what can happen when you’re not careful enough. Cats can mask all the symptoms of an injury much better than dogs. And when you notice it, it can already be infected and hard to treat.

Mima sorry I forgot about your question. My intention in the first place was to answer your question but then I started to read the comments and I got distracted by the Millie’s comment.

As for your question, I think that the best you can to is apply a cold compress to the leg and see if it will go back to normal. You also need to pay attention to more serious symptoms. For example if your cat refuses to eat or drink, and if she seems depressed, that might be something more than just a simple injury. The swelling can be a symptom of some serious diseases.

Hey. I am really sorry to hear this.

It’s been a long since you post this topic and I really hope that everything is going OK with your cat.

But just in case I will try to give you some advice that will help you, I am sure.

Have you ever tried garlic oil? I don’t know but I have heard that is far way better than antibiotics because it is really strong antibacterial agent.

The most important thing is that garlic oil doesn’t interface with immunes system.

You don’t need to worry about any kind of infection because I have asked my vet and he told me that this is one of the greatest remedies for swollen leg in cat.