wow. i have the exact problem. I am a very competitive swimmer, and am in outstanding shape. But when I run I get a strange pain in my chest and shoulder blade. I asked my physician about it and she said to avoid running, but I really enjoy it. Hopefully the breathing technique will work for me.

Hi everyone, same thing with me too. I'm a 25yo male (most of seem to be around this age) and it tends to start after about 1 km and stops a couple of minutes after I stop running. It's been like this for years for me (didn't run in between for a long time). Slightly to the left side in my case also. I also breath through my mouth though so it might be that.

Hello guys....I have also experienced the same thing while i run for a long time. But i think it is due to my excess weight. If there is any other reason or even Lean and fit one's are facing this problem, please let me know.

Currently doing research on this as I suffer from extreme chest pain while running.

From what I've learned thus far, it is attributed to improper breathing while running. Breathing through the nose helps to maintain the appropriate CO2 and O2 levels needed to alleviate the pain. Haven't had time to try it out yet however.

Still get checked out by your Dr. Chest pain is nothing to mess with.

Better for your ancles to run on grass, rather than beating hard down on asphalt.

Hi All - I read this with interest.

I've had a very similar thing for about 8 years now! I would get a pain in my far left side of my chest (it felt like it was just inside my ribs), but only when running.

I followed the advice here and tried breathing through my nose - which strangely, did help.

Thought it time (finally!!) to seek medical help. My physio said she hadn't a clue....great. And recommended I saw a doc...So I did.

After literally a few seconds and some routine checks of my heart and lungs (via stethoscope) - my doctor said calmly that it was a trapped/aggravated nerve. The nerve he said, comes from the spine through to the ribs and it either being jarred by the running or the expanding/contracting of the rib cage during excessive exercise (ie running).

He said not to worry, quite normal, and so long as I could put up with the pain, it wouldn

... be doing me any long-term damage. he said to take painkillers when I felt necessary.

He said there are ways to treat (via injection), but for me it was simply assurance that my lungs (and all the important stuff) was OK.

Anyway, thought I'd share this with you guys, but dont take my word for it - please get it checked out professionally too!

Thanks,
Chris

Hi I'm only 15 and i experienced the same sort of thing that all of you people have had.
I get this pain once every couple of months, but the first time i got it i went to the hospital as after running the pain was still extremely intense. They said i had pericarditis. It was due to me running with a cold that it didn't have any symptoms to. They said to stop running for a week and start again after that week of rest. I did this and the pain has only come back today, which is about 7 months since i went to the hospital.

Since reading your comments im going to try and control my breathing a little better by going through the nose and out the mouth to see if it helps. Hopefully it does, but i know how all of you people feel as i myself workout 5 days a week.

These chest pains could be heartburn.

I feel alot better after reading these responses. I'm a 32yr old male who has been working out for a few months but just got into running. I'm using the Nike+ app and done about 6 runs where I was hovering around 10min miles. I ran some track in high school so I know I'm running pretty slow. Anyway my foot hurt today after running a 5k on fri so I decided to run just 1 fast mile today. I was running a 6:30 min mile pace when half way I had the exact same pain in my heart and had to stop. I was really suprized and disheartened. My family has a history if heart disease. Also, I have experienced these same feelings in my heart years ago on a few occasions when I was still abusing alcohol and drugs, I had ultimately assessed that they must have been panic attacks even though it sure felt life threatening. I'm pretty sure I'm healthy and I'm going to try the breathing techniques as well as slowing it down and accepting it takes time to build up stamina. Running is funny that way, even though I'm willing to do more the body is just not ready, I learned this my first couple runs when I felt like I got beat up and I could hardly walk because of pain un my Achilles and foot.

fried maybe you have heart problem if you have pain in chest when you running or you have lot of fat or weight due to this contact to doctor

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

From what most of you are experiencing is simply your lungs trying to expand past what they are used to within your chest cavity. I am a 23 year old med school student and I have run in 8 half marathons in the past few years. This issue is one that plagues all newer runners that try to push distance or speed too quickly. Once you condition your body (especially the muscles around your lungs) the pain should subside as your distance/speed increases. A easy way to condition (what we call a "runners cardio") is to do 50-100 jumping jacks each time prior to your run and START SMALL. THe first few weeks that you run try not to push yourself too hard. If you are running everyday, don't push it. It's far better to run less/slower and be able to still run the next day than it is to over do it and have to take a day off. Then there is the issue of what I'll call everyone's "personal hill." This "hill" is the distance that your body takes to fully warm-up (both muscle and cardio). Even though I run long distances each day, I still have to take about 2.5 miles just to get into my stride and let my muscles and breathing calm. Hope this helps and if your training for distance, try looking at training guides online to see how others suggest how to do variable distances. Best of luck runners!

Same, here. I'm 31, not in bad shape - used to do lots of climbing, mountaineering. Recently started running, and after about 40 - 50 mins in I get this weird cramp in my left pectoral. I find it hard to breathe and the area feels bruised for a good three days after. This is like clockwork, get dizzy, and today it caused me to crouch down! pain goes through ribs and feels like it's in the centre of left lung. It'll then subside and I can keep going at a slower pace.

Will try the breathing in through nose and out through mouth - but it's strange why this would happen to so many people? Hopefully it's not a symptom of something else (heart rate is always quite high when pain starts).

Anyone know of any excercises that can help with this?

Thanks

Tei

hi, lately i've been experiencing the same thing .left chest pain when i run. i've been running 10 to 15 mi. /week (i.e. 5 mi. 2 or 3 times a week) since aug of 2010 and i started getting these pain about 3 or 4 weeks ago so i wasn't too concern about heart conditions and such. plus i had a complete physical with clean bill of health back in august. even so, unexplained chest pain when running is always cause for concern, if not alarm. BUT i think i just stumbled on the answer. COSTOCHONDRITIS. check out ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowedi'm pretty sure that many will be satisfied that thier symptoms match this condition closely enough to put them at ease. i am hopeful that a couple of motrin before running should enough to do the trick. remember, however, that i'm not a doctor and this is my opinion and i'm offering it for your casual consideration only.

I am 14 years old . I experience chest pain and pain in my right side while running intensly as fast and hard as I can . This pain occurs during 12-18 minutes of playing basketball( running) I am concerned about my well being