When I run I have pain in the middle of my chest and pain in my left shoulder. Anyone know what it is?:-|

im a track funnier and i know what your talking about. you shouldnt push your self to run faster or more when this pain happens just run a little bit slower than normal and less than what you normally run. this usually happens because your not use to running. i hope this has helped.

This is great

a few people told me its because your not getting enough oxygen

I've started having a similar problem, I run frequently, about 3 times a week, but today and yesterday I experienced pain across my entire chest and pain on the left side of my back

soil is softer than tarmac, reducing the impact on your joints

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

I am a 24 year old physically fit female. I do a couple of different types of cardio along with weights, but I only experience chest pain and discomfort when I run. It is not every time I run, in fact it's is more like once a month that the pain occurs. Usually I can run 5 miles no problem but once in a while I have to stop running before I even hit a mile because the pain is so intense. Most of the time it feels like it is at the bottom of the left side of my chest but sometimes, like today, it is all over but still seems to be toward the underside of my chest at my rib cage. It goes away after 10 or so minutes after I stop running. Does anyone have any idea what I could be experiencing? And should I be seeking medical attention?

The exact same thing happens to me!!! Exactly as you described, only happens like once every month or even every two months. And only when I run. I am 19yr old fit female. And it is not that I am tired, I was always want to keep running but I just can't because the pain and discomfort are so great. Hmmm. It is so odd. Any ideas from anybody?????

im 17 and i had the exact fit as as a fiddle but when ran normally there was no pain but if i did i sudden sprint say for when i ran for the bus i would receive this pain for ages, i went my gp and i went hospital had ECG scans and showed that my heartbeat was faster than the average one and also my heart had inflammation i took hybrethen however u spell it and now i dont recieve any pain

Running on grass is better for your joints because the ground will better absorb the shock then concrete or asphalt. However, if you're looking to run your fastest time of a certain distance, asphalt or concrete is best because it offers lower resistance. So in a nutshell, grass hurts less, but requires more energy output.

Same issues here.  30 year old fit male.  Been running for 10 or so years and do lots of other cardio and muscular endurance workouts.  Same chest pain as most listed here.  Lower left chest, sometimes shoots into my back, hurts most when I exhale, and I do not stop running, but I have to slow way down to get the pain to lessen.  Very frustrating.  Finally swallowed my pride and went to the doctor.  EKG was normal.  Treadmil stress test was also normal.  I am pretty sure it is not a heart condition of any kind.  Still not sure, but I have a follow up in a couple of days.  Looking forward to feedback from anyone who figures it out.

ryncyn2008

I am a 17 year old male that runs cross country in high school, I have had this same chest pain for over a year now and have had ever type of medical test done that we could find. I've had an EKG, echocardiogram, CT scan, MRI, X-Ray, scopes, stress tests, nuclear stress tests, blood tests, urine tests, tests for hydration, and more tests for heart, lungs, GI, skeletal, and muscular. Everything I've done though has shown up normal, and every doctor has told me they don't know whats wrong. Some of you describe the pain differently and may have other conditions, but our conclusion was that I (and probably some of you) have an unknown medical condition that several of my doctors are looking into. My advice is to try everything you can to help it, I take a high dose of ibuprofen and try not to think about the pain while I'm running and just try to continue running through it. I've ran through it for over a year and there hasn't been any other complications so it shouldn't be too big of a concern. But yes, your chest is going to hurt and there isn't really a solution for this problem with our technology yet, so try to get through it and maybe in a year or more the pain will eventually go away. I feel sorry for anyone else who has the same condition as me and my heart goes out to you.

Same problem here, 44 years old average 30 - 45 miles a week at 8:30 min/mile.  Been running for 2 years now, and all of sudden chest pain left side about 1/2 mile into my run.  I have to drop my pace and eventually stop before reaching 2 miles.   I normally run 5-8 miles 6 days a week with long runs 10+ miles.  Normally a mouth breather, but have tried in nose and out mouth but still have issue.  Seen doctor EKG, and scheduled stress test.  I keep telling them it feels like its respiratory, sometimes the pain seems to be in throat or esophagus.   Hard Elliptical workouts 30 min with no issue, only when running outside on road or sidewalk.  Really hope someone can help with this, I dont think the stress test will show anything.

The same thing happens to me as many of you have descirbed with pain felt on the left side of the chest and on the left shoulder, but I've realised most of you are older as am only 14 years of age . I feel this pain when playin football, this is when im joggin around the pitch then exert a burst of energy when I beging to sprint ,that's when I start to feel the pain's , when i stop running the pain goes withing 5-10min but when I don't the pain stays untill I stop running for quite a while. So I'll just like to know ;what is the reason for this ?, should I go see a doctor about this ? and , could this be something serious?

I'm a 43yr old female, VERY unfit, never jogged/run in my life, never been sporty or had an motivation to keep fit. Have hit the 'middle age spread' problem and decided to do something about it and bought a treadmill.

Started off walking for 5 mins, then jogged for 1, alternating up to 30 mins total.

Upped the jog to 2 mins after the first week and found it not too bad but have to get through the leg pain barrier and breathlessness!

This week I thought I'd see just how long I could jog for and managed 5 minutes, very pleased but very tired and the next day struggled to even do 2 minutes.

Took 2 days off as exhausted from work etc and today started again and tried to push myself even further. I jogged for 7 minutes non-stop, a huge achievement for me believe me, but half way through I got sharp stabbing pains under my left breast inside my ribs and a slight ache in my back under the shoulder blade. I tried not to think about it, but was a bit concerned!! When I'd finished my 30 minutes routine and cooled down the pain completely disappeared.

Have I overdone it and could this be what you've described as the 'issue that plagues newer runners'?

suzukisue wrote:

Quote:

From what most of you are experiencing is simply your lungs trying to expand past what they are used to within your chest cavity. I am a 23 year old med school student and I have run in 8 half marathons in the past few years. This issue is one that plagues all newer runners that try to push distance or speed too quickly. Once you condition your body (especially the muscles around your lungs) the pain should subside as your distance/speed increases. A easy way to condition (what we call a "runners cardio") is to do 50-100 jumping jacks each time prior to your run and START SMALL. THe first few weeks that you run try not to push yourself too hard. If you are running everyday, don't push it. It's far better to run less/slower and be able to still run the next day than it is to over do it and have to take a day off. Then there is the issue of what I'll call everyone's "personal hill." This "hill" is the distance that your body takes to fully warm-up (both muscle and cardio). Even though I run long distances each day, I still have to take about 2.5 miles just to get into my stride and let my muscles and breathing calm. Hope this helps and if your training for distance, try looking at training guides online to see how others suggest how to do variable distances. Best of luck runners!

Forgot to add, I find it extremely difficult to only breathe through my nose, I don't seem to get enough oxygen to my lungs this way, and therefore breathe entirely through my mouth when jogging. I can breathe through my nose when walking no problem.

I'm 28 years old and I have the same problem. I was so much into sport back in the days, and we were running for extensive period of times, although I have Asthma.

University came, and the studies were so intense, and then came work, and I found that I hadn't practiced anything for over 9 years or so, and wanted to try to get back on track, and here showed this severe pain on the left side of my chest when I ran barely for 5 minutes, and it stopped when I stopped running again. I tried several times later and the pain was persisting, so I quit again.

Now reading your posts again has given me hope to start over and try breathing through my nose hoping that it won't be blocked, as it's closed most of the time due to these allergies and nothing is helping with that. Anyway, I really need to get back to the world and get detached a little bit from my chair and my work. I miss the old days, and I hope I'll be back to normal like before.:-|