I had this problem when I was a kid, pain in upper left chest when running, stopped running, started again at 30 to get back in shape, stikl have same pain, never thought much of it since I've had it sibce a kid, but I was a little worried lately that I was going to have a heart attack, I'm in good health, great blood pressure and pulse and had an ekg with no problems, so who knows...but at least we aren't alone! If I stop running pain stops with one minute if not nearly instantly as king as I stop when ur starts, if I run with it due a while ur can last a few minutes after I stop, feels like muscles need to be massaged....no idea what to do

I got a werid question, i use to jog/run constantly. i use to do 4 days out of the week, i would do 5k's each time. Now what i'm about to say that happened to me happened about 3 or 4 times. I havent done any cardio work outs for about 2 to 3 years.

So what happened to me after my run, or cardio boxing, or i guess intense work out, my hands clenched up real hard and went numb, my feet went numb my breathing got faster, my face litteraly got pale, my lips turned blue.

Earlier today i went for a 14 min walk around my block. When i got back to my porch i stood t here to kinda get my breathing back to normal but instead i get the feelin of blood rushing to my head, (i bet my blood pressure went up)the feeling im going to pass out. My hands,face, and legs got a tingly a sensation that my body knows to well from when i use to have panic attacks and the other time my extremities went numb.

but i digress, i said about a week ago i have to do something because my overall health has gotten to a rut from doing nothing. All because i'm too afraid of what happened to me 4 times will happen again.

Any imput will be apreciated.

p.s i have gone to the doctor about this, i have had cat scans ekg's all the goodies, acording to my doc i'm fine. 4 yeas ago.

Reply to this post 

If the pain stops shortly after you stop running, it can be angina pectoris. It's not dangerous at the same moment but generally i would get checked.

Hi all

A while back i was running 5k on a treadmill 4 nights a week- when i got back from holiday i was getting a very sharp pain around the left of the sternum where the heart is- at this point my heart rate was well up. It got worse to the point i had to give up running as it happened when i was running a few hundred yards! Never happens with low impact exercise. Also went away when slowed/stopped. Felt a bit out of breath.

Saw the doc, normal ECG fine- stress ECG test on a treadmill showed electrical current change exactly when the pain came on !! Had a heart CT which was inconclusive and then had an invasive Angiogram which showed i have no blockages.

Consultant was stumped as they ramped my heart rate up to 200 and it still didnt gave up- also couldnt explain why, after getting fit it the pain suddenly came on with no reason.

So, get yourself checked. Doc is certain i aint gonna fall over but has said some type of blood vessels can get a bit excited when you are pushing on with high impact exercise - has prescribed medication and ill let you know how it goes when i start running again

I am a 16 year old fit female. Just started tryin to walk/run about 2 miles a cpl times a week with my sis. I've always not been able to run for very long without getting stomach cramps so on the first time I alternated walking and running. The second time tho I had a bad pain at the bottom of my chest right at the bottom of my rib cage on the right side. at first I thot it was just cramps as usual but after a while I realised it was up a bit higher then normal and hurt worse and didn't go away with slowing my pace for a few mins. That was just today so I've been looking up online bout it. Any ideas???

That would be a weird explanation, in my case. I'm 21 yr old and have the same pain, same side, after the same distance (as the average of the descriptions here). I noticed that running while bent over or fully contracted pectorals or squeezing the left pectoral muscle stops the pain. Also, the pain is pulsating (I guess that's what you call it), but the pulsation doesn't coincide with inhaling, and I think neither with heart beats. After some years of not running (the pain began like 4 years ago), if I try to run, the pain is even harder than before and doesn't disappear anymore after running 1 mile.

Most notably, I get no pain from other workouts (boxing sparring, heavy bag, weight lifting, bodyweight exercises, cycling, swimming, or regular and intensive labours). BUT I GET IT FROM SKIPPING ROPE!

My fairly clueless opinion is that it has something to do with bouncing...maybe? If it is a weirdly placed nerve, it would make sense. Doctors had no idea as well.

Good luck (dropped running but will try with painkillers),
AZ

I have a same problem so I visited institute of heart disease and they just said after the test that I don't have any heart problem I am only 22 years old and I feel pain in left shoulder and chest so it gives me much relief.

I am 46. Been a regular runner for many years. Started to get this pain in the left chest in the last run. The pain starts after a few minutes in to the run , lower speed will cause pain to stop . I increase speed again and the pain kicks in . Slow again the pain goes and later up the speed and sprint through it and it seems fine . Looks like it needs to get over something for the pain to go away. I completed my 5km though. But a bit puzzled so looking for more info. I run again next week and will repost.

i do also experience when i start running through to sprint....

thanks for the post

Hey guys,

I'm male, 25, I used to be in good shape 2 years ago (7.30 mile time), but I have been sitting down a lot in the past 2 years for my studies and I love salty food (Lays and Pringles =) ). My dad has high blood pressure issues and takes medicine for it. I saw this post a while back, and I am returning with what I think is the solution.

SOLUTION: I think this could be a high sodium intake issue, which causes high blood pressure. I am going to try to eat more bananas (potassium) and less salty foods.

"The raised blood pressure caused by eating too much salt may damage the arteries leading to the heart.
At first, it may cause a slight reduction in the amount of blood reaching the heart. This may lead to angina (sharp pains in the chest when being active)..."

I hope this helps-
Agus

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi, I have the same thing, sports in highschool and no problem. Drink alot after now when I run , and only when I run I get the same pain on the left side , pectoral Area. I have an 24 hour ekg done and an ultrasound done on my heart and still no problems. Very frustrating

My hearts hurts after doing swimming meet on Thursday I want get better now

Don't listen to this advice from a med school student. I have been running since the above person was 6 years old. I am not a "newer runner" by any stretch, yet only recently have experienced the left side pain and chest tightness while running. Bottom line, we are all different, and this pain can be caused by many different things, some of which are heart related--even if you are considered "too young" to have heart problems. I know a few life-long avid runners in my home town who did in fact have heart trouble despite being in top shape. One of them is no longer here--he died doing what he loved. The others are fortunate to be here and still running. Many of us here seem to be in decent shape aside from this nagging pain. We know our own bodies. If you feel that what you have is heart-related, find a good doctor who will take time to discuss your concerns.

If getting a stress test done, it is important that they take into account that your max heart rate as a runner is likely higher than the average pre-calculated number that they use in these tests. They must have you push to your actual max, or else the results of the test are useless and may overlook your problem completely!