Hello everyone!

I am new here and I have a question for you all. I'm not a very makeup wearing kind of girl, in fact, I am very athletic and just don't have the time or interest in dolling myself up. What I do use every day is a waterproof mascara to lengthen my lashes. Of course, waterproof means that my mascara stays on all day without any problems, but it also means it is very hard to get it off!!!

What is the best makeup remover for someone like me who uses very little makeup, specifically mascara? I want it all to come off without irritating my eyes.

Thanks

Personally, Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover is what I use most of the time. There are many others, many of which are oil based to facilitate the proper removal of waterproof makeup, but this one works OK for me while also being pretty OK on the wallet as well. I would think that for your needs, the most important thing is that you do actually pick a waterproof makeup remover over any old regular makeup remover that isn't designed to remove waterproof products. Some are definitely better than others though.

The best waterproof makeup remover?

It depends on how much you want to pay.

Bobbi Brown has a good one called Instant Oil-Based Makeup Remover, which is oil based as the name suggests. If it's just for your eyes, though, and you literally don't wear anything ever but mascara, something like Lancome's Bi-Facial Double Action Eye Makeup remover might serve you better. This is gentler on the sensitive eye area than traditional makeup removers for the whole face.

In any case, I have to agree with the previous poster: were you using things designed for waterproof formulations? If not, that is your problem right there.

I can say one thing, and that is I remember a friend, a male friend, having to dress up for some sort of play. And he put mascara on his eyelashes and he tried all sorts of things to get it off, even tried amonia believe it or not. He had a terrible case of "fat eye" in the morning. That was obviously not the way to go! What I would suggest to you personally if you do not feel like investing in products that are quite pricey and might even irritate your eyes is to take just any kind oil that you use. Warm it up by rubbing it in the palms of your hands, put it on a cotton pad and just wipe. Oil dissolves these things quite well, and chances are that you already have some at home. Try argan oil or jojobo oil.

Celebrity

Hey,

I am just popping in to say that I strongly agree with the suggestion to use oil to remove your waterproof mascara. Even so, you'll probably need several pads with oil to get it all off, but it feeds your skin rather than irritating it and that is a great advantage. If you're a "plain" kind of girl, like I am, then you'll probably enjoy using a good oil as a moisturizer as well. Natural products are the best for your skin, health, and often pocket as well.

Google "The Oil Cleansing Method" and all will be clear to you!

Rosie

- MAC Pro Eye Makeup Remover
- Clinique Take The Day Off
- NARS Gentle OIl Free Makeup Remover
- Loreal Eye Makeup Remover

I have tested all of these and list them in order of personal preference. MAC is not cheap but works very well. I buy this one when I can. The Loreal one is cheap but works with a little more encouragement, if you get my drift. The other two are also very good. You can't really go wrong with any of these four in terms of actually getting your mascara off.

I use an awful lot more makeup than just mascara alone, I can tell you that, but I would still very much like a good answer to this question as well!!! Waterproof eyeliner is a pain to get off, for one, even more so than mascara, and you have to be careful that whatever you are using does not give you puffy eyes. That happens to me sometimes. At the same time, people, it's something to take your makeup OFF! I don't want to spend a lot of money on something nobody else ever gets to see. It is meant to be practical and do its job without costing a fortune.

So, what is the best BUDGET eye makeup remover?

Oooh... let's see... I've used quite a few of those. Some eye makeup removers that did their job alright for me were The Body Shop chamomile eye makeup remover, Clarins instant eye makeup remover is really good, and one by Boots called al bright eye soothing eye makeup remover, which I am not sure you got in the US. Anyways some definitely suck. They are not all good and it's worth your time finding a good one or a few good ones and sticking with those. Sure Clarins is a little on the pricier side but I'm not complaining because the eye makeup just slides off, no need to do industrial scrubbing, which matters, LOL.

Can I just say that I disagree with the idea that a good makeup remover is not worth spending money on - very strongly?

Good long wear makeup stays on. And on. And on. Good long wear makeup may come off in the shower some, but not completely. If you don't take active steps to remove it, it can stay on in part for many days, something I actually tested out by applying MAC eye liner to my hand and just washing my hands normally. Three days later, there were still traces of it! Not to mention that you also need makeup remover to fix eye liner mistakes on the go!

Estee Lauder Take It Away is what I personally prefer. It takes care of those waterproof formulas very well. As for wipes, I love the concept but haven't yet found one that truly does a good job.

Oh, and as for budget eye makeup removers, which definitely matters if you're strapped for cash, I have found that Sephora's house brand eye makeup remover, just called Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover, works quite well. Not as well as the Estee Lauder one I mentioned because they are in a different league, but it does take care of your needs. I do strongly prefer going slightly higher end because it is important to take your makeup off to keep good skin and I am so much more likely to not dread that if I know it will come off with ease.

I am personally into a "get her done" makeup remover as well. I want it to work well, but if at all possible then I would prefer to spend my money elsewhere. Are there really cheap makeup removers out there on the market that still do a good job at taking your makeup off easily? Yes. There are. Neutrogena is a very well respected brand that is very good for people with more sensitive skin types for example, and you can get their eye makeup remover on Amazon for only $6. There is no reason whatsoever to spend upwards of $30 on eye makeup remover.

Thank you for the heads up!

I have never bought any Neutrogena products before. I thought they were a lot more expensive than what you mentioned! The Makeup Remover I am using at the moment is by Loreal, the clean artiste oil free one, and it is more expensive than Neutrogena. Is that just on Amazon that price, or anywhere? Do you use any of their other products that you are happy with?

TIA :)