Long title. Sorry.

I have small eyes. I also think eyeliner's an awesome way to complete my daily makeup. I feel glamorous in wing eyeliner! Even if I don't wear any eyeshadow, I'll still apply a lick of eyeliner, in different colors, whether black, purple, turquoise, silver, whatever I fancy!

A friend of mine just told me she thinks the eyeliner makes my eye look even smaller, and that I'd do better wearing lighter luminescent colors of eyeshadow that complement my smalleer eyes and make them look bigger.

Can I get some opinions please?

Like I said I heart my eyeliner and know my eyes are small but that's just me. I will add I only ever apply liner to my upper lid. No bottom lid waterline stuff. I even add that white pencil which is meant to open the eyes up more.

Should I really shun eyeliner?

Celebrity

Hey,

Have you ever tried applying a nude pencil on your lower waterline to make your eyes look bigger? That's eyeliner used in a radically different way! This works especially well if you smudge it out onto the area beneath your eyes, as it makes the eyes look a lot wider in a subtle way that nobody will realize.

You could also choose eye pencils rather than liquid liner for the upper lash line, as this creates a softer look.

However, and I'll say this every time, your makeup is for you and not for other people. If you are happy with the way you look, that is all that truly matters.

Rosie

As someone who also has small eyes, I wear eyeliner including cat flicks regularly, and really don't care what anyone else thinks! What I do find is that it gets on my upper eyes more easily (same for mascara) so I have to have makeup remover ready quickly! I also noticed that eyebrow shape matters a lot more to how big my eyes look than whether I wear eyeliner or not, so I get them tinted and shaped professionally, something that works out great for me. Wearing eyelid primer also makes a difference in terms of how the finished product looks.

This is me as well, I guess... I have been told that I have "small eyes" by some people as well. I am Slavic with Kazakh heritage and well, I look the way I look. I personally think that a nice eyeliner adds very nicely to the way I look! If other people don't like it? Well, they don't have to look at me for very long because if they have comments to make about how I personally choose to take care of my image, I am not going to be liking them very much and I am likely to avoid them like the plague in future.

As for makeup bloggers and vloggers? They are clearly just trying to make money and after a while it becomes hard to think up new topics so they get to silly things like should people with so-called small eyes be wearing eyeliner. Not something I pay much attention to!

To be fair, if your eyeliner totally "shuts down" your eyes, making them look much smaller than they are without, I would personally rethink how I used it! I love my eyes to look young and awake, and I prefer to avoid harsh techniques. Cat flicks? Everyone and their aunt is doing that now, and I just don't like the look any more!

There are tons of kohl pencils that give you a less harsh, more smudged and sensual look, and if it was me, I would be experimenting with those to see how they affect the subjective size of your eyes when you have that on.

Isn't that more a matter of makeup style than actual eye size though? I do dislike the way eyeliner applied all the way around my eyes looks on me. It looks, for lack of a better word, totally overdone and well, not very classy (to say it nicely). Eyeliner applied only to the top lid looks awesome though, and I do love the cat flicks, no matter whether they're popular or not. I think I will still be doing them way after the trend wears off, just love them so much! Kohl was what my mom used and I did see it back in stores but that doesn't appeal to me at all. Give me a nice easy to use liquid liner any time, easy of use matters as well!!!

Nice friend you got there. What kind of friend says things like that to you? OK, unless you do look absolutely ridiculous because you're, I don't know, using bright pink eyeshadow instead of eyebrow gel? The beauty is that we come in all shapes and sizes, and that includes our eyes. If your eyes ARE smaller, smaller than hers, whatever, of course they are still going to be your eyes even after you apply eyeliner. Big deal. In my opinion, the best makeup is the makeup that enhances our natural look, not the makeup that seeks to totally suppress it!!!