Hi people!

Could you give me some tips here please? This is really frustrating. I want to be able to do my makeup well and achieve a natural look that is flawless as well. I chose Estee Lauder Double Wear Light because of good reviews and I heard that it offered excellent coverage despite also looking natural.

Well, my foundation covers well but it gets cakey. And no, this is not something I can blame exclusively on the foundation itself, let me say that. I have had this issue before. It is like the foundation always gets into the skin's little creases and gives me an unnatural cakey look. The blemishes are gone, but it's like I am wearing a mask.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do you have any tips for me please?

Hi to you too and welcome here if you haven't been to Steady Health before.

I used to have the same problem with foundation basically regardless of the foundation I used. After reading about the Beauty Blender sponge on these very forums and then coming across it at Sephora, I decided to get one. (They say the pink one is better than the black or red.)

It really does work. You just soak the Beauty Blender in water and it swells up. Then you put a small amount of foundation on the sponge or your face depending on what you prefer and start dabbing. If you are confused there are videos. I am also using Sephora's Wonderful Cushion blush in combination with the Beauty Blender and it works really well, coming in several shades.

Then I just finish with a loose powder. The difference is amazing.

Yeah, I been wanting to check that out myself. I got a cheapo rip off and from what I saw on YouTube, that just ain't the same. Time for the real thing, a real Beauty Blender. I actually tried that Double Wear light recently and still found it too cakey too. It's not "light" in terms of foundations, it's light compared to the original. If you want a natural looking foundation that has an excellent finish and good coverage, try out Mac Studio Fix. That's the best foundation I have come across and also nearly bound to come exactly in your actual skin shade. Good luck.

I have got to agree here. Of course, there's no such thing as "good and bad foundations" (ok there is, but there also isn't because one may be great for you and terrible for me and vice versa). EL Double Wear is one of those that... you either love or hate. It doesn't work for too many people because it is cakey but nature and only works for those who actively want that look. For me I like Neutrogena Long Wear, which is still full coverage but simply doesn't come with that closed down, caked up finish and makes my skin happy and my eyes too, kwim?

I have to say that few foundations live up to MAC studio fix. I go through periods of trying cheaper foundations or simply different brands, but I just got studio fix again a few days ago after last using it around a year back, and I am impressed once again. No caking whatsoever, yet the coverage is decent (but not "too good").

As I paid for my studio fix, I tried some of their mineral foundation on my hand and now I am wondering whether I should go for that next time, whether that is even better? If anyone has any experience with MAC mineral foundation do let me know.

Maybe this will help you?

1. When buying a foundation, make sure you get the attention of an employee who takes the time to help you select the right share for you. Shades that are too light or dark make you look cakey.

2. Use creamy foundations for dry skin, matte for oily skin.

3. Definitely apply your foundation with a BeautyBlender or a foundation brush.

4. Start off slowly, using a small amount of foundation. You can add more later. Dab it on gently. You're not icing a cake, you're gently varnishing your face, LOL.

5. Add loose powder at the end, but only a tad.

I hope that helps.

Hey!
I had the same problem as well earlier but its the problem with usually the liquid foundations because when you apply them on the face, they get dried up really fast and then make your face look cakey because it doesnt blend in well with your skin. So, prefer mousse foundation or ifyou are comfortable using liquid only then go for foundations which dont dry up early like colobar and oriflame. I personally like oriflame better than any other brand because it suits my skin well.

Righto, that particular foundation, that Estee Lauder Double Wear, is pretty much known for being the cakiest of the cakey, LOL. So step number one would be stay away from that one and go for something else. I'm using MAC studio fix again right now but feel I'll definitely check out their mineral foundation range next time instead, because I tried some after buying this one and it is awesome.

Never mind... just realised I'd already responded before. Anyway, my advice stays the same and that's go for a lighter foundation, and use better blending techniques to get good coverage.

Ah, OK! I can help. I have an opinion, anyway. I think it might be a good idea to mix in some argan oil with your liquid foundation. Do it in the palm of your hand and then apply your foundation with a sponge. Not only will your foundation now be more hydrating and good for skin, it will also be slightly diluted so that you can a more natural look as a result. I think most foundations are really made too thick and will look quite bad. Do make sure you don't apply too much even when you mix it with argan oil. Good luck!

Hello! Would any of these things perhaps help you some?

* Use primer.

* Choose an oil free non-comedonegenic foundation if you have oily skin.

* Use way less foundation. Like way less. Build that up slowly, don't start off by smearing lots on.

* Never use concealer before you use foundation, as this quickly gets you to the cakey look.

* Never use foundation on a moist face, whether from washing (water) or moisturizer that has not absorbed fully yet.