Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people
My baby son had similar problems and basically couldn't eat for about 4 months when he was 6-10 months old. He was in a lot of pain (screaming in sleep every night, bloody poos, etc) and was obviosly distressed.

We tried the obvious things, water, fruit, tummy massage, etc. and eventually tried a cranial osteopath. The results were miraculous. After the first treatment he was noticably happier and more relaxed for several days. Second visit a week later he was basically "cured". Went back a month or so later just for a check up and all was well. No problems since either.

I have no idea what the osteopath did. All he seems to do is put his hands on the baby's head and back for a few minutes. But whatever he does it worked amazingly. We got our boy back and he has had no recurrence of the problems since. He is now a very happy 18 months old.

Hope this helps some of you.

:'( my 14 months baby is having trouble passing stool. when she does it very little. we changing her diaper frequently. we took her to see her Dr. and the Dr. prescribe miralax that doesn't help either. Now it has been 2 weeks she been doing that. Now I noticed that she doesn't eat or drinking much milk either during the day. I don't know if she's constipated or something else. if anyone have any idea please help

I have a 20 month old daughter she refuses to drink milk suddenly and is not drinking enough fluid either and is constipated and it seems as it wont go. What should I do to get her to drink milk or fluid more often. What can I do to help her with her constipation. she is really in pain and from what I read it seems that if they are constantly constipated they develop an anxiety to poo and I dont want that. I am giving her a type of laxative that makes het poo soft but should I give this to her everyday till it becomes normal. I really do know what to do. Any advice?

Hi all..glad to see im also not alone in the up hill constipation battle...im going to try the flax seed oil and see if that helps some. Also i have found one way of getting more fluids into my daughters system was by chicken soup broth or vege broth...tastes good and is just water and nutrients..give it a try. I have noticed some difference and i think i might increase how much she gets it in a week. good luck guys.

Oh my goodness...I thought i was the only one going through this! My daughter is 2 1/2 and we have been having pooping problems for about a year now. When she feels a BM coming, she will hold it in and cry and cry and cry...she crosses her legs and lays on the floor, puts pillows or stuffed animals between her legs...It's a nightmare! She will only poop when I force her to by holding on to her so she can't lay or sit down. Then the urge is so strong that she can't hold it in anymore...But by that time we're all sweating and crying. She is taking Miralax every day which helps to make her poop soft, but she is holding in her poop regardless - hard or soft, she doesn't want to poop. The pediatrician says it's a "Phase" (???) and she'll eventually grow out of this. I don't know what to do....

My daughter turns 2 in a couple of weeks and we started having problems with her going 'poo poo' about 2 months ago. At first, I was concerned because her poo poo was soft, so I took her to the doctor and he said she actually had 'fissures'. Fissures seem to be breaks in the skin, in her case not so deep that they bled, but deep enough that going poo poo was really hurting her. So I used desitin and it seemed to clear it up. Next problem a few weeks later, beginning of Feb, 1 1/2 months ago, now she is crying everytime she goes and it is now hard. About the same time, we started having trouble with her not wanting to drink much of anything. She doensn't like sweets thus doesn't like juice any better than water or milk. The Dr. gave me a perscription for Miralax, but that seems like a mistake especially after reading the responses posted here. If she will have to be weened off eventually, why start now? We have to find a better solution now can't put it off until later. So for now we have been trying to get as much water/juice/milk in her as possible (not going great) along with prune baby food 2x a day. She won't eat real veggies or fruit. She wants to go poo poo on the toilette but then holds on to me and crys out as she goes. I am going to try the flax seed oil and see if that helps.

Our 3.5 year-old has refused to potty-train and has battled with constipation since she was a baby. Her twin sister has been trained for nearly a year and has no problems at all and they eat the same things. I definitely think there is a control issue now since she associates BMs with pain. And there have been several times that she's gotten so backed up that we've had to use enemas to relieve her. We are currently giving her Miralax which has kept us from having any traumatic "enema episodes" (which are heartbreaking for me) and are now seeking child therapy to help her work out her negative feelings around BMs. The therapist even said that some children who have had enemas can have the same issues as a child who's been molested. Which of course has had me sick to my stomach thinking that I've done something unintentionally to hurt my little girl. Besides this problem she is a happy/healthy three-year-old but there's definitely something going on with the pooping. I'm hoping that the therapist can give us the tools we need to get her through this with the least amount of damage. We're at our breaking point and don't know what else to try.

Wow! I had no idea so many parents were going through the very same thing we are. Our daughter is 4 1/5, and she's had this problem off and on for at least 2 years. Our pediatrician suggested the same as most- water and fiber. It's just not enough. She holds her poop for as long as she can- up to a week sometimes. When she can't hold it any longer, she gets terrified. We can always tell when it's time, because she holds her legs together and just cries. By the time she goes, her stools are so hard and so large, they cause her to bleed when she finally goes. As much as I try to encourage her to "push it out", I have to admit that I'd be reluctant to go too. She has literally sat on the toilet for hours, and we know when she's close, because the crying turns to screaming. We have tried enemas, laxatives, fiber, lubrication... you name it! It's so upsetting and extremely frustrating when you can't help them. I've thought so many times that something must be wrong with her, so I'm glad to know that's not necessarily the case. I'm so sorry that so many of our children are going through this, but I'm really glad not to be in this alone. The only helpful tip I have is NOT to let them sit on the toilet too long. If it becomes clear that they aren't ready to let it go, let them walk around or even run and jump if they're up to it. The gravity eventually helps. Also elevate their feet with a step stool or something while they're sitting on the toilet. That eases the process some also. The key has to be preventing the event to begin with, so I'm going to try the flax seed oil also. I'll let you know if it helps. Thanks to everyone for sharing, and I hope this posting is as helpful to other parents as it was for me.

Hi everyone, thanks to all that are posting, we have gone through many of the same issues and we are comforted knowing we are not alone. Our daughter will turn 3 in a few weeks and we have been batteling the contipation for well over a year. I read a bunch of this site about 3 weeks ago and started the Flax seed oil. We try as much as we can to control the softness of the pooh with diet and from my experience it doesn't take much (minimal easter candy, a little sour dough bread or pizza crust) to set us back to the hard poohs. First thing in the morning she has fruit drink (an orange, an apple, a banana with juice in the blender) mixed with 1 tsp of the Flax oil, same thing before the evening meal. She is great about eating raw broccoli each evening with some non fat sour cream dressing. We do soy milk not regular, not that it means anything, just a choice. We started potty training last fall and the peeing part would be fine if we didn't struggle with the poohs. We resort to pull-ups just to get her to try the poohing. As she gets older we just try to stress she should pooh each day, but leave the ball in her court and I think she knows she is supposed to try to push, I've also started tracking her poohs on paper. My sister suggested she doesn't get enough oil (olive oil, butter, fatty foods), that may be true, but I wondered what you all think. Good luck, hang in there. I'll let you know when the miracle happens.

There are several different herbs in Ayurvedic Medicine that are helpful for constipation, gas and in general good digestion. Ayurvedic medicine is a branch of medicine that is from India and is over 3000 years old in practice. The herbs that are helpful with digestion are: Triphala, Asafoetida, Trikatu. (amongst many others!) These herbs are safe for children. I don't know the particular dosages needed, but if you research into these herbs, you will find that information you need.

The reason I like these herbs vs laxatives is because they promote health in the digestive system by healing the digestive tract and making it stronger.

If you read about Ayurvedic medicine, you will find a lot of healthy and natural alternatives for dealing with constipation, diahrea, etc.

Laxatives should rarely if ever be used, especially by children. It makes me really concerned that doctors would prescribe laxatives to kids. I know they do this often, but it doesn't concern me any less. Laxatives work by irritating the bowels. This irritation makes the bowels contract and push out what it needs to. This irritation can become addictive - ie- the bowels get used to having to be irritated at that level in order to work! Thus when you stop using laxatives, the problem can easily come back because the bowels now need a stimulation in order to do their job. If you do use a laxative, don't use it over a long period of time!

A good book about Ayurvedic medicine for children is "Perfect Health for Kids" by John Douillard.

I have had the exact same problem with my daughter for the past 2 years, she is now nearly 4. She can go days without a BM. All through out the day she will hide so she can hold it in, which causes her to be completely blocked up and extremely bloated. I have been to a specialist and she prescribed something called movicol, it comes in sachets and is mixed with water. This has done wonders for taylah although she is still not wanting to go, it has worked REALLY well at clearing her out, without using internal surpositries (which never really worked in the first place) She has started talking a month supply of half sachets and 20mls of lachalose twice daily.....so we shall see how that goes. It seems like it is never ending i sit there with her and think come on just poo, it really isnt that back when you go regularly. It definatly is extremely frustrating. Her specialist has said if this doesnt work as well as the increased fibre and water, than it will have to wait until she is ready to go in her own time. I'm only praying that is before she starts school.

I'm sad to be glad that I'm not alone in this. My two year old son used to have a slightly larger, harder poop every once in a while, but he suddenly just stopped going. It's been days since a realbowel movement. I tried Fibersure and a laxative, which caused a teeny bit to come out every couple hours, but that's it. His diaper rash is escalating, and we're up all night with his crying. I've tried a tummy massage, warm bath, high fiber diet, adding water to EVERYTHING he ingests, removing milk fromhis diet. I don't have health insurance, but if he doesn't go soon it'll have been a week, and I'll have to take him in. Someone, please post about what worked for you. I foud this msg board by chance, but I'll check back before I decide to take him in to the ER.

I have beem to the Dr over 5 times for this propblem with my daughter. She is 3 1/2 and sacred to death to poop. We have sucessfully gone like 2 times on the potty but other than that, about every 4-6 days we have an "accident". I feel so bad for her. Going poop has become a tragic thing. We tried benefiber, which after a couple weeks she had such loose stools she was basically poopin herself. Yesterday was the worst. I watched her bend over on the floor in the fetal position and push and cry for like 30 minutes. Very tragic for my daughter and me... She wouldnt move until she was done... By the timeshe was done, she had basically 5 days of poop in a pullup and her poor bottom was so sore. I dont know what to do. everytime i go to her pedi, she tells me the same thing... I know i need a new pedi, cause this lady doesnt have kids and has no idea the pain and suffereing such incidents are. If anyone has any advice pleasse let me know!

My son suffered from severe constipation and would withhold passing stools. I would give him babylax and help him through it. Each episode lastest a week. It was mentally exhausting seeing him in so much pain. I am happy to say it has been 3 months since he has had an episode. I found he is DAIRY INTOLERANT! It made his stools hard. He is 2 years old and his diet consists of Soymilk, soy yogurt, rice cheese (he did rice milk and DF bifidus (probiotic) for the first 2 months then I switched to soy milk after that). Soy is also binding for some children so I would start on rice milk, a calcium supplement, and lots of fruits and veggies. He does not have any real milk or cheese. There are so many alternatives out there that this diet is not too hard. When we get pizza I order him no cheese and extra sauce so he can enjoy it with us. Every night he takes a spoonful of Flax oil and if he hasn't gone that day a spoonful of olive oil as well and the next day he goes.
Please try this with any child that is having constipation problems before putting them on a laxative schedule.

My 2.5 girl has constipation. Her doc recomended Myrolax, a non habit forming and gentle laxative found at most grocery stores. This has helped and so has grandmas advice to put vaseline on her outer anus before a possible BM and it will help it to come out easier. Funny thing but everytime I try this it does seem to work.