Hey all! Here is a question, and I’m not asking this because I have this type of problem now, I don’t, I’m just asking out of curiosity. Does it happen to you that when you change the food of your cat she starts having irregular stool? It happened several times to me but then again it happened a few times when I didn’t change the food. So I can’t figure out is the food what caused it. Maybe it was just a coincidence. What are your experiences with cat’s stool? I’m particularly interested to know what causes hard stool in cats.

Hello. It happens to me often that my cat reacts badly to some new food brand I bought, but the reaction usually includes diarrhea and watery stools rather than constipation.

When it comes to hard stool, the situation is just the same as in humans. In most of the cases, the problem is very simple and it includes a lack of fiber in the diet of our dogs or just insufficient water consumption. Those problems are easily fixable but there are also some more serious problems that can cause hard stool.

I’ll tell you the main reason why our dogs have hard stools always and why this is one of the most popular problems among dog owners.

The thing is- we are lazy!

We never cook for our dogs and we end up giving them dry kibble almost every day. Their diets lack cooked meals, fiber.

Occasional chicken soup is also a good idea if you want to soften their stool.

Of course, there are many serious digestive problems that also cause hard stool, but I’m talking about most common ones here.

So:  Dehydration, lack of fiber, lack of exercise and so on.

Hello. Actually a lot of things. Maybe you changed her diet program. Maybe your cat is not drinking enough water from her water bowl. If you are feeding your cat with dry food and only dry food that is just one more sign. Here is what you need to do in this case. You should add a pinch of psyllium fiber at each meal. But some cats just need a natural laxative. You can heal hard stool with aloe vera. Add it to your cat’s food. It is natural laxative and it is very appropriate for your cat. Stress can also cause it.

Hey. Well the most common cause is definitely caused by dehydration. You always need to keep an eye on your cat. It is very important to take care that your cat drinks a lot of water each day. When you notice that your cat has hard stool, there is no need to panic immediately. Try to fix it with natural laxative. And what is the best natural laxative for cats?

Milk, of course. You should make sure that your cat drinks milk every two hours.

If you have an older cats they are very often calcium deficient and that can lead to hard stool. The milk is solution in this case.

Greetings folks.

There are many reasons why your cat have hard stool. Those causes can be diet, environmental changes, painful defecation because of hemorrhoids, stress and blocked bowels. Yes even stress can bring it on.

Some cats can be really annoying when they have hard stool but try to understand your cat.

When your cat is younger she also exercises and running around a lot. When they are older, they are not so active anymore. They don’t run anymore, they exercise less and this can cause hard stool in them.

I agree that you can try natural laxatives, but if they don’t work for 24 to 36 hours you should consult your vet.

Bunch of cause can cause hard stool in cats. Here is a list:
- Swallowed bones,
- Excessive fiber in diet program,
- Trauma,
- Stress,
- Intestinal blockage,
- Low blood calcium,
- Swallowed hair,
- Some foreign objects,
- Impropriate water intake,
- Muscle weakness,
- High level of blood potassium,
- Low level of thyroid hormone in blood,
- Change of the environment,
- Dirty litter box.
This all can cause hard stool in cats. But to diagnose it you are going to need whole history of your cat’s health. Sometimes it is very hard to determine what might cause it so better try to focus on the treatment.

Oh, sorry. I somehow thought we were talking about dogs.

It’s just that I’ve seen so many topics about dogs on this site so I assumed this is also one of them.

I have cats and they’re my no 1, but I happen to know a few things about dogs too cause I adopted one.

Anyway, what I want to say is that I’ve noticed in both my cats and my dog that they have hard stool whenever I can’t find time to cook for them.

When they eat dry food for a long period of time, constipation is almost inevitable.