Hello everyone. My friend is currently on her honeymoon now, and she left a dog for me. The dog is 7 or 8 years old I am not sure. It just happened over the night, she came and ask me to take care of her dog. But, there is one problem. I really don’t know how to feed her dog since I have smaller dogs, almost a puppies.

Do you have any experience about this? Because, I really do not have it. I want to feed her senior dog with canned food and I really hope that you can help me. 

Hey, don’t worry. It is not that hard. Of course, there are some tips that you need to learn, some tips that you need to follow, but generally it is not hard. The older dogs will need to have a good, well balanced food, but with lower calories intake. Of course, it has to contain proteins and fats, and this food needs to be higher in fibre. Also, some older dogs will continue to eat their food, but they will eat less. Now, I really hope that your friend told you what her dog is eating? Because, there is difference between every dogs food. 

Hey. My friend is giving a supplement to her senior dog. Some dogs have special needs and those can be supplied in the form of supplements. Also, a lot of dogs suffer from arthritis, and they can benefit from vitamins and supplements, because, this is good for their joints. Now, I really do believe that your friend didn’t left you a plan of eating, because she was in hurry, right? You should know that vitamins and mineral supplements are recommended for senior dogs. Also, some older animals eat less, so you shouldn’t be worried about this. Observe his behavior and you will learn what he likes. 

I’ve been there. Friends always find it appropriate to leave their pets for me to watch them.  And they usually don’t have any instructions nor they leave food/money to buy food for their pets.Since I have a senior dog myself, I can tell you what are my habits when it comes to feeding him.I tend to give him one meal daily (except when he sees me eating chicken during lunch, then I have to cut him a slice or two extra).I try to keep him on a diet lower in calories. It’s also good for senior dogs to be on those diets that are high L-carnitine.  This is because dogs as they get old tend to get overweighed.

Senior dogs are not as demanding when it comes to food as people tend to think. 

Yes, they are older and they might have troubles absorbing some nutrients which a puppy would easily absorb, but that doesn’t mean that you need to stuff him with supplements more than you did when he was a puppy.

Puppies also often need calcium supplements and stuff like that so in the late ages you should just reorient your attention to supplements like vitamins, Omega 3 fatty acids, and homeopathic products.Just don’t exaggerate with it. And try to make your dog eat less food, because they need fewer meals than they did when they were puppies. 

Everything that others said is 100% correct. As dogs get older their metabolism slows down and they require fewer calories in their nutrition. Of course, they are less active, as well.

As I see, you asked about canned food. Did your friend told you what brand of canned food she feeds him? If she did, just feed him according to instructions and give him smaller ratios.

Only one thing can cause you a trouble – dog’s poor digestion. Because you don’t know if your friends’ dog has any GI problems, you need to carefully observe his eating to determine wheter he has or has not any issues and, according to that, you will need to alter his meals. 

Hey.  I think that everything is correct totally. Your dog will need good balanced diet with lower calories and food that is higher in fiber. It should contain quality protein. If you are feeding your dog with dry food, this will help you control tartar and reduce gum disease. Here is one tip for you. Warm canned food from the microwave will help you increase the aroma of the food. This is something that this dog will love, I am sure.  Next thing – feed smaller amounts of food but more often. Offering small amount of food can increase your dog’s total daily intake.