Hey there everyone.

I hope you are doing fine.

Yesterday I saw my friend from high school. We met at the pet shop. She told me that she bought Jack Russell Terrier, beautiful girl. She is one year old. I saw a picture and she is perfect :)

She told me that a few weeks ago she was diagnosed with kidney stones. Nothing serious, my friend told me, but low protein diet didn’t help her little Emma in this fight.

She still has kidney stones.

In your opinion what is the best diet for a dog with kidney stones?

Tnx in advance!

I think that a good quality holistic diet is the best way to go. I even read that somewhere.

There are so many diets that you can try, I wouldn’t know to tell you which one is the best, but I believe Wellness diet would work. There is also Innova, you heard about it probably. I don’t have any experience with it, but I’ve heard that it’s great, a friend tried it and he loves the effect. Then there’s Nature’s variety. And you know what else can be helpful- Only Natural Pet Cranberry Wellness. It’s great for controlling  infections and urinary pH.

Hello. I hear it for the first time that low protein diet didn’t help a dog. I don’t have an idea why this happened. I could swear that this diet program is very effective. I agree about holistic diet program but I think that you can try some high – quality commercial dog food. Look for the best brands that list meat as top ingredient on the label. Of course, you need to ask your vet about advice. The needs for certain food will depend on your dog’s breed, age, sex… While you are giving a food to him make sure that there is enough water in it. If there is smaller amount of water, you should add it.

I am definitely not an expert when we are talking about the dogs, but I think that I do have one advice that you can use.

Here we go.

I was talking with my friend about this issue because her dog is diagnosed with kidney stones three months ago. Since that period she is doing everything to heal him.

At this moment she found some diet program and so far she can see some progress.

Diet program has the primal role.

She found some Hill’s diet because it helps to dissolve bladder stones, and it is recommended very often. This diet program is restricted in proteins, magnesium, phosphorous.

Hey pet lovers.

I hope you are doing fine.

Definitely diet has the major impact when your dog has problems with kidney stones.

Now, there are no rules.

The best diet program depends on your dog’s age, history of diseases, etc.

If your pet is older you should consider to try something like Hills prescription diet program, because it can treat, slow and even prevent further growth of stones.

If this stone is small and if the stone is not causing any problems it can be monitored.

My friend Aisha told me that Hills prescription diet is the best diet program and it helped her.

I don’t know, I am just sharing some other experience with you :)

Hey everyone,

Love is pet, here’s the catch: low protein diet cannot dissolve the stones by itself.  It can only speed up their dissolving in case your dog is taking some antibiotics for it. So you need some prescribed meds to go with your diet. Now on the other hand, where the low protein diet is on the first spot ahead of all other diets, you have a diet in which you need stuff to make your dog urinate more often. These diets are best made at home, I wouldn’t trust cans too much. Urinating more often makes the chance of stones to dissolve a lot bigger.

Hi everyone,

I wonder why the diet didn’t help with kidney stones.

You might be right about the use of antibiotics, it makes sense. In case it really doesn’t work, I’m not

sure what to do. You should probably feed your dog with meat alone and with some vegetables. Besides,

low protein diet is pretty much a dangerous thing if left uncontrolled, you know?

You need to take your dog to do tests more often because at some point he will need more proteins in

his body. This might be your case, although I hope not, cause you need to change your diet again and

this one was the best solution.

Hello. Avoid low protein diet please. It is really dangerous for dogs with kidney stones. I know that a lot of people will recommend it, but I am totally against it.
This diet program never helped my dog dealing with kidney stones.
I even don’t want to say that it didn’t helped him – at all.
Meds can be helpful, but I would think twice before giving them to my dog.
Why?
Because meds caused diarrhea in my dogs.
You know what helped me?
Some protein bars that I found in the pet shop. I combined them with water and my dog was feeling much better.

Kitten, if you are monitoring your pet’s condition constantly, then the low protein diet is a good thing, combined with antibiotics of course. And then it’s not dangerous if you know when to stop using it.

I also heard about this Hills prescription c/d diet. It is supposed to be really efficient.

You need to take your dog to analysis to check if the stones are gone after using this diet, it’s usually done by urinalysis. If they are gone, you should stop with the diet because it helps to remove the stones, but it doesn’t prevent them from appearing again.

Consult your vet about it, I think that’s the best choice.

Hi there,

I haven’t heard of a single diet except for this low protein one. It’s probably commonly used, but I’m not sure about its efficiency either. I don’t know if it would take you a lot of time to give it a try. I mean, literally everyone is using it nowadays.

I remember, there was another diet that was supposed to make your dog to urinate more often. You give him foods that would make him urinate more, more liquid and stuff. That should work though, because stones could dissolve while your dog is urinating. But that’s just my logic, I’ve never tried it.