Hi, folks. Many people talk about reflexology, but I don’t know much about it. Who are reflexologists? Are they really competent? Do they have any kind of degree? If they have it, do they by it? I have the feeling that some people think that they are self proclaimed experts. Is this true? What is your opinion? Thank you for replying.

Reflexology, or zone therapy, is an alternative medicine involving the physical act of applying pressure to the feet, hands, or ears with specific thumb, finger, and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion. It is based on what reflexologists claim to be a system of zones and reflex areas that they say reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands, with the premise that such work effects a physical change to the body.

There is no scientific evidence to support their claims and their claims are controversial. I have to admit I, personally, love reflexology as simply a "foot massage".

Different states have different laws regulating who can practice Reflexology. You can find out about your state here:

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

As for your other question... Sure! Lots of people consider themselves "self proclaimed experts"... I'm one!