This is going to sound weird but we got together with the whole extended family for Christmas and the New Year and the ladies got into discussing skin care. My cousin mentioned that she exfoliates her skin first on the days when she does, and only then cleanses it. 

Is this what you do, first exfoliate and then cleanse?

It seems weird to me and it's not what I do. I cleanse first because I would not want to scrub dirt and sebum and stuff into my skin while exfoliating. Not cleansing first seems to be just asking for trouble. So I cleanse, exfoliate, and then wash my scrub off, all in the shower. Is that really weird and is what my cousin does the way most people do things?

Interesting topic!

Most skincare experts, and most cosmetics brands too, would absolutely advise you to cleanse your face first and then exfoliate. You are not doing anything wrong! The idea that you may get better results from exfoliating first and then cleansing your skin after comes from Dr. Harold Lancer, who is a celebrity dermatologist. He thinks that exfoliating prepares the skin for the cleansing stage and that you remove more toxins and dirt that way.

I have tried it myself both ways, not with fancy products I add, and I have not noticed a difference at all between the two varieties. My conclusion is that either way works.

Wow, that's really cool that you knew that, thanks for sharing that, 'cause this was puzzling me too. Like the OP says yeah, it just seems weird and off to exfoliate when you have dirty skin. My mental image would be rubbing all sortsa makeup into your skin as well. I'm gonna Google this some more to see whether the science behind it actually makes any sense. I guess trying it wouldn't hurt and I can come back telling you all what my results were. If I break out thanks to it I'll be PO-ed though.

Celebrity
Yes, Harold Lancer says: "The polish ingredients are linked directly to prime the skin for the cleansing step."

If I am honest, it makes no sense to me either. It would make no sense to polish your shoes before cleaning them either, would it? No sense at all. When you look at articles where this method is being discussed, most commenters agree with us. Good luck if you want to try this method out, but I certainly am going to stick to my tried and tested ways of cleansing first and then exfoliating.

Rosie

I tried this, after reading about it somewhere on the internet quite a while back. It did not work for me. I kept on using the exact same products I had been using up to that time and did not change anything else what I was doing. I normally scrub three times a week so I continued that pattern. My skin became red and I broke out. After two weeks I switched back to my normal routine and my skin went back to normal very quickly as well.

A big flop, if you ask me!

What's this? "Wash your face 101"? 

I'm actually amazed how many people say that they do not remove their makeup before cleansing their faces, thinking that just regular ol' soap and water will take care of that. It won't, especially not if you are wearing waterproof makeup, and most makeup now stays on all day because it is slightly water resistant. You really do need a makeup remover, and you need to use it before you go on to clean your face. 

Exfoliating before you remove makeup just makes no sense. Sorry, but it doesn't. That's dirty. I don't care what anyone says, it is. This is one weird fad I am never, ever going to try out. With my rosacea, it would ruin my skin even more for sure. I highly suspect it would do the same for anyone's skin though. It defies the basics of science, not to mention common sense!

Hahahahahahaha!!! "That's dirty. I don't care what anyone says." My thoughts exactly. It IS dirty! I am actually amazed that anyone would think this was a good idea and I'm pretty convinced this whole routine of exfoliating first and then cleansing falls into some weird "celebs so odd stuff" game or something. He's a man anyway, the guy who invented this. Perhaps it works for him. Not if you got tons of makeup on your face anyways. That's practically begging for breakouts, innit?