Several friends have and love the Clarisonic. I have had the Clarisonic Mia 2 on my wish list for a while now, but what's stopping me from getting it is the price. Some people absolutely love their Clarisonics and their skin looks much better, but there are also people who say it dries their skin out or it causes irritation. Because you can't know what category you will fall into before you buy, I am hesitant. There's also the worry that it will end up sitting on a shelf somewhere because I simply don't love it enough to use it all the time. For that reason, I would really appreciate a cheaper alternative. Does that exist and if so, can you recommend it?

Absolutely! The most popular one seems to be the Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System, which I own. It costs around $40 with the cream included, which is an awful lot cheaper than the Clarisonic, and yes, it cleans your face like six times better than if you were just doing it manually. You're advised to use the Olay cleansing cream with it of course, but I have also occasionally used other cleansers without any issues. The bristles are perfect for my skin, which is basically normal with the odd wrinkle. If you're looking for a deep clean system without spending $$$ then I'd recommend this in a heartbeat.

Hiya,

Just got an ad for this Rio Sonicleanse exfoliating and cleansing system. Curious, I looked it up and it seems to be very much like the Clarisonic ones. This one ain't no cheaper than Clarisonic mind you, so you're probably not all that interested. BUT while I was looking at that one on Amazon, a ton of other things came up that you might like to look up, that are a lot friendlier in the old price department!

Here's what I could find:

1. Mira Sonic Facial Cleaning Brush for Exfoliating, Microdermabrasion, currently on sale for like $30. 
  2. Skin Cleansing System Facial Brush & Body Care Kit for Women & Men, also like $35. That one comes with a pumice stone which makes me think it's for the feet as well.
  3. Pretika SonicDermabrasion Facial Brush, like $20. 
  4. JoyiQi Rechargeable Battery Operate Electric Facial Cleansing Brush/Face Brush/Rotating Brush/Body Care Kit/SPA Cleansing System Waterproof & Cordless, mind you, currently unavailable on Amazon. 

Keep in mind that I don't know nothing about any of those products (though I've heard great things about that Olay, which was already mentioned), I'm just listing them so you have the chance to like Google them and look at some reviews and stuff and find out if any of these meet your needs. 

Oh, there are actually lots and lots of skin brushes on the market now. Some examples are:

- The Skin Authority Skin Cleansing System for $60
- The Proactiv Skin Cleansing Brush for acne prone skin, $65
- Spa Sonic Skin Care System for the body too, also $65
- Dermabrush Advanced Cleansing System for only $23

They have different pros and cons, different speeds, types of brushes, etc, so you'll need to look up which is the best for your skin type and the purpose you need it for. In addition, there are also a fair number of manual brushes on the market now that are incredibly affordable and also a good option.

The Mira Sonic Vibration is what I have. I like it. It's gentle enough to use it on your skin every day. Unlike some other cleansing brushes, this one does not rotate. It works by vibration. Combined with a good vitamin C serum, this brush makes my skin look awesome and feel soft. It's also easy to take with you when you travel somewhere. I have no experience with the Clarisonic, which I suppose could be better, but for the price you pay for the Mira, you do really get a great product. I'd warmly recommend it to any lady trying to get a facial brush for a bargain price.

I had the Clarisonic and now use to Olay Pro-X cleansing system. It's actually easier to use in a way. The brush head is incredibly soft and just right for my skin, and it spins. If you use a light pressure, it removes all your makeup and gives your skin a very thorough cleanse. Then there's the fact that it's a lot cheaper. That most definitely plays a role. Anyway, I like it and think it is better than Clarisonic for the very sensitive skin. Of course, your mileage may vary. This is really one of those areas in which personal preference in combination with skin matters, and unfortunately you can't try before you buy.

I've tried various skin brushes over the years and in the cheaper range, I like the Proactiv Deep Cleansing Brush best. Its bristles are long and soft, it vibrates rather than turning around, which I like, its design is elegant and its easy to use. Some brushes turned out to be too harsh for my skin, but this one works well for its purpose. Keeping in mind that you are only spending $30, I would recommend this. I also have the Clarisonic Aria Sonic Cleansing Brush, and I have to say that that is better for the skin overall, and comes with a timer, which I really appreciate. It also comes with a charger rather than a battery.

Hope that helps...

Well, this is really complicated. Clarisonic makes some interesting claims. They say, for instance, that it removes six times more makeup. But when you read the fine lines, you see that they are comparing it to only water! Of course people don't use water to remove makeup! It's also supposed to clean the skin twice as well, as just soap and water. Again, I don't think most women do that. Also, if you look at their study, you can't review the methods used and the sample sizes are ridiculously tiny. And obviously, the studies are far from independent! In conclusion, I do think many people can benefit from more rigorous skin cleansing methods, especially if they are indeed using only water and soap, or only water (!!!). But I am not convinced. At all.

In summary, yes, there are cheaper alternatives to the Clarisonic. The best of those may, in fact, be using proper cleansers for your skin type, for a longer period of time (you'd use the Clarisonic a full minute) and to use exfoliators regularly. By taking the time to care for your skin, you will see improvements. No Clarisonic needed. And, by the way, quite a few people say that they had breakouts and dry skin after starting their use of the Clarisonic too.

User avatar 478 posts

Clarisonic turned out to be too harsh for my skin as well, unfortunately, and I am not currently prepared to dip my toes in those waters again by trying any skin cleansing brushes made by other brands. What I did get recently and love is a microfiber skin cleansing cloth. This exfoliates and removes makeup as well. It is gentle enough for the skin, unlike the Clarisonic, and you as the consumer are completely in control of the amount of pressure you exert. It removes makeup very well and leaves the skin feeling nice and soft, in combination with good skin care products of course. 

Rosie

I have been using the Clarisonic Pro for years now and it has revolutionized my skincare. I would not assume that cheaper products are the same. Clarisonic has a timer than ensures you use it for the right amount of time, for instance, it is waterproof, the pro has different speed settings, and you can use any cream with it. Yes, it is expensive, but it saves money over the longer term if you would otherwise instead spend more on exfoliating products and trips to the salon. My skin has been looking so much better than it did before, in part I'm sure because the Clarisonic helps the skin absorb moisturizers better. I wouldn't swap it for a cheap knock off!

Hi, is it OK if I asked a question of my own here? I have seen these "skin brushes" around in stores and on the internet, and I am quite curious, but I am actually confused about what they are meant to be used for. Some make it clear that they are NOT a cleanser, others say they are NOT exfoliators... but they do seem to claim to both exfoliate and cleanse, including removing makeup. So, what are these skin brushes, and what are they meant to do for your skin? It is a mystery to me, and although I am curious I would never buy a product until I knew exactly what it is meant to accomplish.

Thank you.

User avatar 478 posts

Some people are talking about the Konjac sponge as a more gentle alternative to the Clarisonic. I find this fascinating. They are natural sponges made from a Japanese plant that is a bit like potatoes. They all act as exfoliators but there are different sponges designed for different skin types. For my skin type, which is dry, I would use the red clay sponge. It is easy to care for, apparently — you need to squeeze the water out gently after use and you can boil it to sterilize it. 

I have not tried this myself yet, but I am very curious about how it would work in practice and am considering getting one. 

Perhaps this will help someone else too.

Rosie

I just got a Clarisonic for Christmas and though I was intrigued by it, it has irritated my skin and made it feel uncomfortably tight. I am not sure whether I did anything wrong or whether this product is just not right for me. I had no idea what it was before I got it and am not even sure what it is meant to do. This falls into the disappointing gifts category even though I know it cost a lot. I am thinking of returning it, but should I? Is there any way to make this Clarisonic work for me?

I have the Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System. The brush head is smaller than that of the Clarisonic, which I have seen but never used myself, but I don't mind that. I do have sensitive skin and I read that many Clarisonic users with similar skin had problems. The Olay system's brush heads are softer, so that is a bonus for me. Of course the price also appeals. Some complain that Olay's brush spins around too slowly, but I think it is just right for my skin, not too harsh. It really does make my skin feel very nice.

Ooooh... since skin brushes have risen in popularity, there are PLENTY of alternatives to the Clarisonic, which though good, is a bit on the pricey end and not really designed for penny pinchers. SkinAuthority Cleansing System is one popular one that many people are satisfied with, which comes with three different heads and costs $59. The Olay PoX is already well known and loved by many as well and is a REAL steal at $35!!! There's also this thing called DermaBrush Cleanse and Help Revitalize, which is $23 but I don't know much about it. It does have positive reviews.