Funny question perhaps, but also a very important one! I am quite certain that plenty of people are plagued by this exact same question. You do not want your pores getting clogged and you do not want smudy nasty eyeliner staring back at you after a long workout, but on the other hand you don't want your gym/sports buddies seeing your "naked face" either, do you?

Is there special foundation that doesn't start looking bad even through a workout? What about eyeliner, eyebrow pencils, blush? If you do wear makeup while working out, what do you use in terms of products and brands?

Thanks!

I asked my dermatologist this exact question on one occasion, precisely because I had the habit of heading straight to the gym after work without taking my makeup off. She explained that working out with a full face of makeup on is indeed a bad idea. The foundation especially mixes with your sweat as you get your heart rate going, and all that together messes with your pores and increases your risk of pimples.

She told me that if I really wanted to wear makeup/come to the gym straight from work, it would be better to wear just lip balm, eyeliner and a little mascara, and if I really wanted to, a BB cream but not a full foundation.

HTH

Honestly? I did until a few years back. I had bad skin including cyclical pimples which I was feeling very self conscious about. I would not leave the house without foundation and concealer on. I also have thin eyebrows and would paint them on.

I have since had my brows tattooed and started taking better care of my skin including removing makeup every night, cleansing twice daily, exfoliating twice a week, and drinking plenty of water + a multivitamin supplement each day.

My skin is now to the point where I do not feel ashamed to show up at the gym or my yoga class without any makeup on, and to be honest that itself is likely to be contributing to the state of my skin.

Yes, I do wear makeup when working out. I do yoga, I do go straight from work, and I do not take my makeup off. Before this thread caught my eye, I really never considered whether that was a good or a bad thing. Sounds strange perhaps, but there you have it. I wear a light foundation, blush, mascara, sometimes eyeliner and eyeshadow, and almost always some kind of lipstick. I have not noticed any adverse effects from it and do not feel like taking my makeup off and then putting it on again after yoga. The idea of going out without makeup on does not appeal to me at all.

Good or bad? Good for my self-confidence, let's say that!

Hi!

I stopped wearing make-up for work-outs around two years ago, when I had a really bad bout of acne, which was highly unusual for me. Taking the acne as a sign from my skin that something wasn't right, I overhauled a lot of my personal care routine. I started eating healthier food, taking vitamins for hair, skin and nails, drinking more water, and consistently taking my make-up off before exercising and going to bed. Also, I started using high-quality cosmetics and make-up.

I have since had my eyebrows tattooed, allowing me to feel even better about working out without a trace of make-up on. One of the best decisions I ever made!

The bottom line: when your skin is beautiful, you won't mind showing it off!

Of course not! Doesn't everyone know that makeup in general clogs the pores and it is good to give your skin a break from all those layers that should not even be there by rights? I personally wear makeup to work because it is expected of me, as I am in a role dealing with clients, but I wish I did not have to. Like the previous person said, skin on its own is beautiful enough and I feel no need for makeup all the time. Skincare? Absolutely! Makeup? No. I take my makeup off as soon as I am off the clock and that includes for exercising, where there is an especially large potential for clogged pores. I would also advise everyone else to do the same.

Celebrity

Just because I am back after a bit of an internet break, folks. (It greatly reduced my time wasting and enabled me to be much more physically active! Great for the body, including the skin!) I don't usually wear much makeup, if any, and definitely do not wear it while being physically active. I say physically active rather than working out because I do not go to any kind of organized classes. You are talking about walks, especially in nature, or cycling, and they are things I love. The local trees do not care whether I am wearing eyeshadow, so neither do I! Wearing makeup while being physically active only aggravates the skin, anyway.

Rosie

That is a very good question. I believe that wearing makeup while working out is not the best of ideas, because doing so can completely irritate your skin. That might make you break out in pimples, and I don't suppose you go for the pimple look. So I think it is very good to use a face cleanser and then maybe hydrate your skin somewhat with an oil or moisturizer and then go exercise. This way you might not look pretty but then again who looks pretty while sweating and tired anyway, and who even cares? I doubt your gym buddies are looking at your makeup anyway.

Mascara and eyeliner everywhere! Clogged pores thanks to the combination of sweat and foundation! Need I say more? Don't think so! Working out with a full face of makeup is a bad idea, period.

I do, mind you, like to use just a loose powder on my face when I head to the gym as this helps kill the shine that inevitably results from a hard workout and still looks very natural. It also makes me feel more finished when I head over to the gym. I might also wear a tinted lip balm just to pick me up a bit.

That is IT though, seriously.