Hello, can you tell me Is it possible to break the hymen when self fingering/ masturbating (just one finger) and there's no bleeding? Maybe the hymen is being pushed down during the process. Therefore it can't be seen. I'm 20 now and I've only done it for a week. Is it true that I've heard that masturbating can help you release stress and sleep better? If the hymen is broken, can a guy tell when he inserts his penis? I mean can his penis feel whether or not the hymen is there? I saw some posts floating on the net about stretching the hymen (exercising it) to make it more flexible/ elastic by using the finger to push the hymen aside for both side everyday. I don't get how can you break the membrane and there's no bleeding? Probably it's just out of place a little... you think? The first few times were fine. Now it felt a little stinging as if something is proded up in the vagina opening. The rubbing of the underpants when walking also irritates the area (not the clitoris. it's a little further down, near the anus). Can the pain be caused within the inner of the vagina rather than the ripping of the hymen?

Hi Mariem

I'll try and answer your questions as wekk as I can. You don't give much background information behind your question(s), so my answers may not be adequate. So, I am left wondering exactly why you ask, and what the cultural/religious implications are.

• Main Question: Technically you are are a virgin until you have sexual intercourse, when a penis enters your vagina, whether or not the hymen is broken. But if you mean how do you know if your hymen is still intact, then you can check by looking, using a hand mirror.
    • Do you know what you are looking for?
    • Do you understand your genitals?
  • Now for the other questions:
  1. Is it possible to break the hymen when self fingering/ masturbating (just one finger) and there's no bleeding?
    • Yes it is possible. Not all hymens bleed on rupturing.
    • One finger could be sufficient, depending on exactly what you did.
  2. Maybe the hymen is being pushed down during the process. Therefore it can't be seen.
    • Pushed down where?
    • The hymen is a membrane that covers the entrance to the vagina, but usually has at least one hole to allow the period outflow.
  3. I'm 20 now and I've only done it for a week.
    • At 20, it is possible your hymen has already ruptured
    • Only fingering for a week makes no difference. You could have ruptured it first time
  4. Is it true that I've heard that masturbating can help you release stress and sleep better?
    • Yes it can, providing you are happy to masturbate
    • The degree of help will depend on whether you orgasm, and the intensity of it.
  5. If the hymen is broken, can a guy tell when he inserts his penis? I mean can his penis feel whether or not the hymen is there?
    • It depends how it came to be broken.
    • Hymens vary, and a thin fragile hymen might not be felt anyway.
    • Depending where you come from:
      • It might be inspected visually
      • Bleeding might be expected
    • If a guy is a virgin, he would not necessarily know, unless the hymen was tough and he had difficulty penetrating.
    • If the guy is not a virgin, why is he concerned about your virginity?
    • If you are technically a virgin, but your hymen is no longer intact, a decent and honourable guy would understand.
  6. I saw some posts floating on the net about stretching the hymen (exercising it) to make it more flexible/ elastic by using the finger to push the hymen aside for both side everyday.
    • Be careful what you read and the context of it.
    • I don't think you an "push it aside" as such. It is an attached perforated membrane.
    • This is what a 'typical' hymen looks like (but they do vary!):
      • http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/sites/default/files/files/styles/large/public/field/image/hymen_virginal.jpg
    • If it is tough, it may be able to be stretched
  7. how can you break the membrane and there's no bleeding?
    • The thinner the membrane, the less the blood supply.
    • Any blood supply increases the more aroused you are.
    • 1st time rupturing might not completely destroy the hymen.
  8. Probably it's just out of place a little... you think?
    • No I don't
    • Where do you think it would be?
  9. The first few times were fine.
    • Then what happened?
    • What did you do differently?
  10. Now it felt a little stinging as if something is proded up in the vagina opening.
    • It sounds as though there could be at least a partial tearing.
    • It could be you have scratched the vaginal wall.
    • What were you doing when you first noticed that sensation?
  11. The rubbing of the underpants when walking also irritates the area (not the clitoris. it's a little further down, near the anus)
    • You have your clitoris, then the urethral opening, then the vagina, then the perineum, then the anus.
      • http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fGc1nu8mplM/S22YgUFZI8I/AAAAAAAACjA/99Y4NZNBSC8/s1600/Vulva
    • It could be raw from rubbing
    • It could be partly the style or fabric of your underwear
    • It could be a UTI
    • It could be your labia minora
  12. Can the pain be caused within the inner of the vagina rather than the ripping of the hymen?
    • Yes, you could have scratched it (if you mean the vaginal canal).
    • If by 'vagina' you really mean 'vulva', then it could be from your labia minora, particularly if they of average size or bigger.

I hope this helps as a start.