Hey. My name is Dina. I am new here so I hope you won’t mind if I start asking all these silly questions about my dog here. I can’t find them anywhere and I’ve noticed that almost every question here gets a quick response. So my dog name is Leo. He is a perfectly healthy dog. I take him to the vet regularly and he took all these vaccines that my vet suggested. In the last few days, he had a loose stool. I don’t know why is that happening, it never happened before. Can you tell me what are the possible causes for this?

Possible causes for loose stool? There are so many of them.

Did you maybe start giving your dog some different kind of food ? 

It happens to me the first day or two when I buy a new food for my dog, but it usually stops after a day or two, as soon as he adjusts to that new food. 

I don’t want you to think that it must be something harmless as this.  

Loose stool can indicate very serious things too. Take IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease) for example, loose stool is one of the main indicators of this dangerous disease. 

Hello. Like Mia already told you there are so many reasons and possible causes for this. My friend’s dog was refusing to eat certain foods and he was really sensitive. Garbage can also cause it. Maybe your dog is having some allergic reaction to something, such as meds. Usually, loose stool in your dog can be caused by bacterial infection or internal parasites. In any case, you need to test your dog’s stool just to be sure what is going on with him. With the proper treatment you should not be worried. I really hope that this is nothing serious.

First, you need to be prepared on this situation always, because it can happen to every dog and all the time.

The most common reason for loose stool in dog is dietary indiscretion. That means that your dog ate something that he shouldn’t have eaten. It happens. All the time.

I have question for you : do you give your dog leftovers? If you do you should know that leftovers also can cause loose stool in your dog, it can cause GI upset.

Look, it is not your fault. A lot of owners doesn’t have a clue what their dogs have gotten into their food. They can always grab some garbage and eat it.

@Mia - Actually no. I didn’t start giving him food that he didn’t use to eat before. He ate the same food as always. The only thing that pops on my mind is that I gave him some biscuits I bought in the pet shop. He never ate them before, but I gave him only 3 or 4 of them. That couldn’t be the cause right?
@Dog Whisperer I don’t think it’s an allergic reaction. It doesn’t seem as one.
@Love-is-pet I never give him any leftovers, he literally eats better than me. And that’s what I’m afraid of. I believe he might have grabbed something from the garbage.

Hello. Basically nothing that we told you is not the possible cause generally? Really strange. I have to agree with other members and tell you that those are actual reasons when your dog has a loose stool. But now when I read more carefully your post, it can be caused by some of doggy biscuits. Maybe it is silly to ask you, but did you check the expiration date? My friend was giving his dog some treats without paying attention to the expiration date. This can really upset stomach in your dog and of course there are huge possibility that this is the reason. 

Good day folks,

If he started having loose stool at the exact time when you started to give him those cookies, you

have your answer right there. Loose stool is a sign of so, so many diseases which can be the cause

of it. In most causes, your dog just ate something bad. Then, he could have gotten a stomach virus

if you heard that it’s roaming around, it gets to dogs too. That usually lasts from a day to three. But

if the stool is caused by some disease, you should have more symptoms as well so you can treat them as

a group according to what disease you deal with.

Hi to all. There is really a big number of causes for diarrhea, Lady D. I just hope that you don’t have a serious one, which is not such a rare case. I think you should hold your nose and take a sample of your dog’s stool to your vet for analysis. Then he will tell you the correct cause, without you having to think about it and maybe not even find out. Biscuits could be the answer, yeah. Maybe your dog is allergic or his organism just doesn’t like the ingredients and it shows it in a very smelly and watery way. I hope your dog is better already.

Hello everyone.

I was giving cookies to my Boo and nothing happened. At all.

I was giving him cookies that I was buying for three months I think and no side – effects while he was eating them.

Now I am making cookies at my own.

I want to tell you that in my case this caused nothing bad.

When Boo had diarrhea he ate something from the trash while we were at the park. It was too late when I saw it.

Maybe treats have caused it, but I didn’t have any negative experience with it.

And like Dog Whisperer told you, it could be some allergic reaction.

Friends,

I hope that you are doing fine in here.

It could be anything.

I don’t know is your dog still puppy, but diarrhea in dogs can be fatal. You need to react fast.

Like others told you there are numerous of causes for loose stool in your dog.

Look my friend Layla has a dog and he had problems with loose stool in her dog because he was stressed. They moved and it seems to me that he couldn’t deal with it.

Was your dog under the stress lately?

You should consider stress as one of the biggest causes for this.

Other causes can be parasites, viral infections and changes in diet program.

Wow there Millie Cat, how did you jump straight away to the thing about loose stool being fatal? Come on, that never happens. It’s not the diarrhea that is fatal but the disease which is causing it, and still, it’s rarely, rarely fatal, like, once in a zillion times. Am I right?
My dog is already feeling better, it was nothing serious( I think). I know that the causes like eating something bad, or being stressed, or having a virus make diarrhea come and go so I am still not sure if the diarrhea will come back. I really hope it won’t.