I'm 34 years old and avid triathlete and runner. I was diagnosed with glioblastoma a month and a half ago, after routine MRI shown growth and a biopsy confirmed GBM. I had debulking surgery and I'm still feeling mild weakness on my right side ever since. So far I'm just walking mid distances under supervision but I become easily tired. I'd like to know how soon would I be able to get back to real exercise. But considering the fact how tired I am after walking, I'd like to start with some mild exercises. I'm also starting radiation and chemo soon and I'm worried that I might not be able to run marathons as I used to. Are there any glioblastoma patients who managed to get back on track after surgery? Also, if you have quality exercise program to suggest I'd really appreciate it.

Hi, I am trainer/rehab specialist.  Additionally I coach triathlete/runners.  I have been working with a client, male, late 60s, who was diagnosed over a year ago.  He underwent surgery, radiation, continues oral chemo.  Although not an athlete, he lead an active lifestyle and fights everyday to stay mobile.  It is challenging, I won't lie.  He did not come from a background like yours nor does his family.  Therefore, I personally feel he was late to start with my services. 

Proper nutrition is key - very clean eating, no alcohol, no processed foods and I have also read reports that additional Omegas prove beneficial.  As for exercise - do what your body allows.  I would suggest low impact to start, with strength work and yoga.  Set a daily routine which you will be used to due to triathlon/running.  Chemo will zap your muscle strength too  With doctors permission, lift light weights.  Remember your immune system will be depleted, so avoiding germ ridden gyms is advised.   I used SKYPE fitness for video appointments.  However, make sure a caregiver is home to help if needed.  Getting back to what you love is possible, but build your team of support and be patient

Thank you for reply. I saw it last week, but I couldn't reply because I started chemo and radiation so I was feeling bad and down most of the time. Hopefully I'll be back on track once it's over. Thanks for the advice.