My gallbladder was removed only 5 weeks ago. While I had bloating and diarrhea for awhile, those too have passed, lol.  But I have been feeling extreme stiffness / swelling in my wrist, fingers and now my feet.  Fatigue is now an issue as well. And worst of all, there are so many people on different sites that are reporting these exact symptoms.  It is disturbing given that everything I have been reading tries to point to arthiritus which I have never had nor does it run in my family.  The arguments for auto-immune causality are just too convenient / vague to accept on face.

It makes me feel that while doctors / surgeons are quick to remove an organ they "say" is non-essential and can be eliminated just as an appendix, the fact is that medical science does not really know how it affects our bodies afterwards. They guess and treat symptoms hoping that one of them will work through trial and error.  The older I get, the more I realize that medical "science" is more art than science.

I am going to try some of the vitamins / meds above / control fatty foods as I have little faith in what I am getting back from healthcare professionals.  After that, I guess I am going to return to the medical science "guessing" game...

I had my gallbladder removed at age 20 (4 years ago)...and it was NOT due to gallstones...it was because my gallbladder stopped functioning out of no where. pretty scary having organ failure at a young age. The doctor (who was incredibly pompus) told me there was nothing to be worried about in the long term and I didn't need the gallbladder, and my diet could return to normal. I have been struggling with energy levels and bloating/constipation ever since. it is SO FRUSTRATING. Ive never eaten tons of junk food etc., and i have stuck to an organic fruit, veg, white meat, small amout of dairy (non fat milk and low fat cheese only) diet cutting out grains for majority of the time (exceptions on holidays, birthdays, etc) and i drink one day a week. my diegestion feels screwed up all the time and although i have been able to loose weight in the past, i have recently found it MUCH harder to do so. i started taking digestive enzymes once per day (usually before dinner) but that only seems to help sometimes. Just wondering if anyone on here has had a removal NOT due to gallstones and has had similar issues?????? I feel completely lied to by the doctors and regret their lack of care with post operative follow up and dietary suggestions.

I had my gallbladder out 20+ years ago assured by doctors that I would be able to live a full productive life.  New research is showing that the removal of the gallbladder can cause problems with the blood pressure long term.  For the last 6-7 years I have suffered from very high blood pressure, deadly high, extreme, and can not tolerate medication.   Medication makes me very sick and has landed me in the hospital several times.  Do not believe everything doctors tell you!!!  My pressure is so high I am not disabled, and trust me not living a productive life.    Would love to hear back from anyone else with this issue.

I do not think that drinking the recommended amount of water would have helped. I drink more than 64oz of water a day and I still have gallbladder problems and need to have it taken out in the near future.

I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago. Afterwards I experienced diarrhea mostly in the morning. I would be trying to leave for school & have to go 7-10 times before I could get out the door. I had a really good day if I didn't have to go while at school. After about a year of that I talked to my primary care doctor who referred me to a GI doctor. Best thing I ever did. The GI doctor recommended Cholestyramine packets. They are actually for people while high cholesterol, but he knew they also worked well for patients after their gallbladders were removed to help with diarrhea & cramping. The medicine tastes kind of like Crystal Lite classic orange packets, however they don't dissolve. They are better with orange or pineapple juice instead of water. They also have a pill form, but I found that doesn't work as well as the packets. I am regular now, I go twice a day (not diarrhea) & no cramping when eating or having to go. Also, none of those urgent calls. I can plan to get to a bathroom with plenty of time.

Hi Mike, Hope this finds you well...are you still looking for guidance with gaining health back? If so I have some insights!

If you don't have to don't! ! But if it's a matter of life and death removal is better mine turned gangrene it had to go. .

I had my g/b out 4 days ago and i am in agony still, there is a masive bruise on my tummy just under one of the key hole wonds and i can bairly stand up or eat, all i am doing is sleeping and i am tired all of the time. Dose anyone know how long it takes for me to feel back to normal? I know it has not been long but i cant sleep forever. I did go back to the doctors but they said its normal to be in thia much pain but i should have recoverd some.

You say you had your gallbladder removed four years ago. I am not a doctor, but your symptoms may well be related to something other than you having had your gallbladder removed in the long past. Nutrients lost during surgery? Huh? Your surgery was FOUR years ago! Again, I think that your current symptoms are undoubtedly due to something else altogether, and the BEST thing for you to do would be to go to your primary care physician, tell him or her what you've stated here, and proceed from there. I don't know why you think that your symptoms are related to having had your gallbladder removed long ago. You need to see your doctor for your concerns, especially your claims of decreased cognitive abilities, accelerated aging, and lower energy levels.

Four days is not a long time and the doctors are probably correct. However, if the pain you are experiencing is really as bad as you claim, then something may not be right. Revisit this with your doctor.

Hello there. I had my gallbladder removed nearly 4 months ago. Your comments on less energy, accelerated aging and poorer cognitive abilities sound very familiar unfortunately. I find that dandelion root and milk thistle supplements help somewhat, but am really feeling more tired than before the operation. Best wishes to you.

Well, we are Gallbladder twins!! The awful bathroom life we have endured. After having GB out in 1997 and suffering so long, I finally found a GI Doc who understands Bile Salt Metabolism Disorder related to GB removal. Started on Questran and my life is 90% improved. Other GI docs over the years had no clue. Now working to raise Vit K and D levels to normal as the functional malabsorption syndrome I have been in for all this time, untreated, has wreaked havoc. I now have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Osteoporosis related to the GB removal. 50 pound weight gain due to reabsorption of poorly processed fats. SO sad. SO many missed opportunities to be helped over these MANY YEARS. Janet

Ask your gastroenterologist to put you on cholestyromene!!! It is amazing for the diarreah! I could not leave the house because if I are or drank anything I would have to run to the bathroom for years after my surgery. Now, it is totally under control! I take it once in the morning and am fine all day and can eat out and eat what I want

Gall stones come back because people do not change their diets after dissolving or removing them, therefor the root cause of the issue was not dealt with. Processed carbs and food sensitivities/allergies are the reason for the stone's formation in the first place. Keep in mind that allergies are caused or exacerbated by systemic inflammation, also due greatly to the processed sugar, processed carbs, grains, processed seed oils. SO if you get thru the initial flare, having the dissolved or removed, dietary changes will completely alleviate any chance of the stones coming back. Eat the foods we evolved to eat: clean, unprocessed fruits veggies and tubers, grazed, not grain fed animals, and healthy fats, like Olive oil, Avocados, clean animal fats. Also, remember that once a gallbladder is removed, you no longer have the ability to properly absorb healthy fats or the fat soluble vitamins A, D E and K, and thats not such a good thing in the long term. Couple that with the persistence of pain and other digestive symptoms, and I'd do all I could to keep this and all my vital organs.

To this young individual, I have had my gallbladder out 4 months ago. I am 24 and young also and am so worried about the future. My energy are very low and I have sleep troubles, especially at night. I was wondering if you were able to give me some advice of dietary requirements suggest by your range of health professionals? How are you now? Do you still suffer from chronic fatigue, depression and anxiety? or have you completely healed your life? Much interest and I would love to hear an update. Kind Regards!!