I had Hammer toe surgery 10 days ago on my second third and fourth toes of my right foot. This morning I had my stitches removed and as usual I was in and out of my Dr.s office in less than 15 minutes. He took out the stitches, changed the bandage and taped my 3 toes together. He did not have me move them or try to move them about himself. Since I have an odd sensation of numbness ans a lack of feeling but can't quite place what toe I can't feel I took it upon myself this afternoon to un bandage the toes and check them out myself. Well lo and behold my second toe just flops around like the only thing hold it to my foot is the skin. I can feel that I am touching I have external sensation but aside from that it feels nothing...like it is dead, it just simply rest on my third toe to which it has been taped for 10 days. Freaking out I called my doc who was very defensive and said they are fine as he saw them this morning but simply looking doesn't you can't tell that it is floppy. He says that he will see me tomorrow to reassure me after all"a tendon couldn't have snapped since this morning"me that nothing is wrong but he has been so evasive(did not show me post op xrays) and has never spent more than 10 minutes with me pre or post op and until I called him he did not even feel the need to see me again after today until I am ready to have the other foot done (which he wanted to do right away but I said I wanted to wait until I saw how all of this turns out). Soooo am I paranoid or does anyone else had a dead/floppy toe after surgery and what if anything can be done

Hi critterstarr,

don't panic. It's ok for the toe to be floppy immediately after the surgery. It will be okay once you start using it. I had my surgery 4 months ago.My surgery has run into many complications and it does not seem to end:( However, I did have the floppy toe experince in the beginning. When I started using my foot more it got better. Now it's sticking up in the air..lol. No need to panic. Also, numbness is normal too. A lot of nerves in the foot get cut during the surgery. The sensation will return slowly as the nerves start to heal and rebuild.

Anyone ever had nerve or tendon damage after hammertoe surgery. I have to have another surgery to remove a trapped tendon and nerve thats caught between the scar tissue and bone.

thanks Joanne

Joanne What symptoms are you having?

I had bad foot surgery too! The bunion portion of the surgery seems to be okay. but the 2nd toe was a hammertoe and it is not corrected...still raised turning to the right now instead of the left. I have heard that Mayo Clinic in the southwest part of the country specializes in correcting bad surgeries. It's a long way from me. We'll see! Lessons learned: never have foot surgery from a podiatrist, trust consumer ratings online before a doctor referral. My gp doc referred me to this podiatrist and I went even though I had read some less than glowing reviews. 

Joanne,

I have both- tendon and nerve damage. I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy by my neurologist- present for several years now. The nerve damage parlayed into a scalp tingle too- yes, kick me while I'm down .It's been over 5 years since I made the mistake of being coerced into hammertoe surgery by my podiatrist. My 3rd toe - left foot- has nerves trapped due to scar tissue- this surgery was a hack job- with the tendon and toe completely locked now. It tingles now too .. and has constantly for years. My right foot- 2nd toe- has pretty severe nerve damage as well- so much for 'corrective' surgery. She was 2 for 2 on messing up my feet. Over the past years I've been in touch with some of the best orthopedic surgeons in my area - well the solution is a painful one, and there's no guarentee the post-surgery outcome will be the desired one- some more pessimistic than others.My best advice - be careful with doubling down on this and cutting the toes up again... And please treat the doctor like you would a future spouse, be picky and make sure you love them. I know I'll likely pull the trigger soon, but I'm really not so sure I can deal with further irreversible damage. Would be very interested to hear what suggestions are being offered to you- any plans being put out to cure what I've feared cannot be cured ..or anyone else who stumbles upon this thats had success with mine and Joannes issue - please share. For those who have not had surgery yet- if they aren't killing you- just dont do it, no matter what promises are made. Remember, only one person in the room is guarenteed to profit off your decision- the other must live with consequences..
Best of luck Joanne , I know EXACTLY how you feel.
- J

Hey guys, 

I am really sorry for all of your pain, discomfort and/or botched foot surgery. I just wanted to let anyone who came on here know that most cases are not this bad. I have read many, many, maannyyy great stories of people who had bunion and/or hammertoe surgery and they are much happier now. I also had bunion and hammertoe surgery and it went perfectly (I have medical insurance through a major company). My toes and feet look great, the bunion is gone and toes are straight with no more corns or hammertoe. I have full range of motion in my left big toe and almost full range of motion in the right one, only a slight difference in degree it's able to bend, but other than that there is no pain/ numbness/ misalignment. I can wear heels and run for miles. So again I'm very sorry for all of your situations but please don't tell people not to get it done because you had a bad experience. Just research and choose your doctor wisely. Thanks. 

Have you tried going in for a second and third opinion from another podiatrist? If you haven't, you should consider doing this.

I had this surgery done in July of 2011 on my right big toe... ever since then my toe hasn't been normal. For starters, my bones didn't fuse together like they should. They put the pin in, but l play soccer, and a soccer injury caused the pin to bend. So, now my toe is TWICE the size of my left big toe and bent. It looks atrocious and it hurts pretty bad! I can't wear a lot of shoes because it puts too much pressure on my toe. I REFUSE to wear flip flops because I'm embarrassed about how it looks! I want to get this fixed, but I'm not sure how it would be done?? Anyone have an issue with their pin bending?? Ughhhh ;-|:'(

I had hammertoe surgery in September 2012 on my 2nd and 4th toe. My pain was so unbearable, I went to a podiatrist. After several weeks of cortisone shots, he sent me for physical therapy. The PT told me that I would get some relief but it wouldn't solve the problem. My podiatrist sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. He did surgery on my 4th and 2nd toes. He removed my stitches in 2 weeks and my steel pins in 4 weeks and was told I could drive in 2 weeks and was back in regular shoes in 3 months. My problems continued and got worse. The ball of my foot stays swollen. The doctor put me on Prednisone for 8 weeks. That didn't help. Then he had a compound cream made for me. That didn't help. Then I had to spend $400 for custom made inserts and could only wear walking shoes. When I went back in August 2013, the PA talked to my surgeon and said they couldn't do anything and referred me back to the podiatrist. I requested to talk toy surgeon but he didn't want to see me. I moved out of state after my surgery . My medical doctor sent me today to an orthopedic surgeon. I'm in a bigger city now. They took x-rays and the doctor said my foot was a mess. She said it was whacky had one toe bending and sticking up. The swelling of my ball on my foot still there. After being on my feet for a few hours I am limping. She showed me the x-rays and told me she would have never done hammertoe the way he did. Now I'm having reconstructive surgery on all toes and will have my big toe fused to the 2nd toe. I will have to stay overnight. I will be using a walker for 3 months and no weight bearing. Without the surgery my foot will only get worse. I will also have a metal plate and screws in my toes. When I walk only my big toe is flat on the floor. The metatarsal joints had no work done on them. My toes are so tight. It feels like they are having a tug of war. My advice is to really check out the surgeons and get a 2nd opinion. After my surgery, I was told this surgeon has had several lawsuits. I wish you all the best of luck.

I had the same thing done at the same time. My big toe still swollen and the hammertoe fix was a botch. Pins fell out and now my toe bone is dislocated. Now I need surgery again! Isn't all this malpractice?

my big toe is sticking up too. The hammertoe lost its pin and the dr says oh it will be ok. Now I have a dislocated bone in the toe and can't hardly walk.. Going to lawyer soon. wth

Lishe, that does sound scary. When it comes to hammer toes, I found this video that gives great information and is easy to understand. I hope everything works out.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Yes, a nerve is trap in each foot and I'm always in pain. Have to take lyrica and cymbal tea daily to alleviate pain but the ,medicine don't help 100% my stomach hurts from medicine

I have bunion and hammer toes surgery since then I'm always in pain. The nerves got cut in the scares (bunioms) and two toes were cutting too much. Other toes don't touch the floor.

a total disaster. No worthy. I'm in more pain now taking lyrica and cymbalta daily. Huge side effects such as weight gain, stomach pain, and insomnia. Medicine just help 70% on and off. 

shoes are painful and yoga, which I just to practice impossible.

my advise don't get this surgery and see a top doctor with years of experience and height ethics