Hello everyone. I have a cat for several years now. I love her and I know everything about cat care . I like to be informed especially when it comes to illnesses and health problems, because if something ever occurs with her, I want to be ready to help her. I always prepare homemade food for her. She loves it. But unfortunately I won’t be able to do that anymore. For the next month or two, I am going to be very busy. So I wanted to ask you can you suggest some healthy, high protein cheap canned food for her?

Hello, dear.

My vote goes to Great Life Essentials which I’m giving to my cats for a while now. It’s fairly cheap (not sure where are you from, but check out for prices before buying, you can see price ranges online), grain-free and is made from meat from US farms. One more benefit is that this canned food is GMO-free and without carrageenan.

All this was enough to convince me to give it a try. My kitties accepted in no time.

Of course, as cats tend to be too picky, I think you will need to experiment with several brands before choosing the right one.  

Hello. Canned cat food can be really good choice, since cats are not so picky…Actually, they are not picky at all. Well, my cat really loves Fancy Feast gravy. Of course, before I gave this food to her, I consulted the vet and he told me that this is a great choice. I think that she wants to eat the bowl when I give this good to her. Lately, I discovered Wellness chicken formula as well, and it is pretty good. This canned cat food is not expensive at all, I think that you can buy it for less than 2 dollars :)

Hey. Maybe you can try young again zero carb. This is food that has 55% of protein, it can be from chicken or pork, and it has no carbs. As far as I know, this is the highest protein content for your cat, but it is not so cheap. It is a little bit expensive than other cheap foods that you can find on the market. To be honest, I don’t know that much about canned food, because I really do prefer raw food, because I think that this is healthier than all those products that you can find on the market. 

Ummm, you are totally wrong. This food is one of the most expensive foods on the market! It costs more than 50 dollars. You are totally wrong. Now, on topic, about the healthy, high – protein cheap canned cat food, I would recommend original ultra chicken meal and salmon dry good. I think that one can is about 1 dollar, and if you read all those reviews, you will see that they look great.

And, yes…Raw food that you make is better choice, but sometimes we just don’t have a time to prepare the food. In that case, canned cat food is totally great option.

I couldn’t agree more with you – this food is one of the most expensive canned food on the market. Of course, it is really healthy, but it is very, but very expensive as well. You can try Trader Joe’s premium canned cat food, because you can buy it for 69 cents. Renews are really good, so you should not be worried about the price. This is actually wet food that contains high levels of animal protein and no byproducts. Even if is that cheap, you should consider it because it is really healthy. I am buying this food when I need to leave my cat somewhere :)

@Millie-cat ‘’cats are not so picky…Actually, they are not picky at all’’. Are you serious? Are you sure that what you have there is actually a cat?

If so, are you maybe interested to trade your cat for mine? :)Lucky bastard, I can’t even get my cat to eat fish and treats that 90% of cats adore. I really don’t know what to do with her.I came here hoping that some of the suggestions will work for my cat, but then I figured that I already tried almost every of the food brands that you’re mentioning. She refuses to eat them. The only food that she accepts to eat is raw homemade food.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of canned foods. I am trying so hard to feed my cat just with healthy foods and I make him raw food treats for the most of time. However, I don’t have the time to make him foods every day so sometimes I give him canned food.

I have done tons of researches to find out which brands of cat foods are the best and I made a list. I am now feeding him just with brands from the list.

Here are some products from that list that are healthy, high protein and also cheap: * Nature's Logic Feline Canned Food -- Chicken

* Newman's Own Organics Chicken and Brown Rice.

I think you got yourself enough recommendations. The next step is feeding. Buy one can of each brands mentioned in this thread and see the reaction of your cat. If she leans towards one more than other ones, you got yourself a winner. If she is undecided, even better, you can choose the cheapest, or one with highest nutritive values. Whatever pleases you, and her, as well.

Just a friendly advice, if you are able to spare some time, make your kitty a nice homemade meal made from raw food. She will enjoy it much more than any canned food you are going to give to her. 

Hi there.

I have some advices when it comes to picking healthy canned food for cats and for a reasonable price. You see, the most important thing you should know is that not all the brands are using the same ingredients. Some of them are using cheap artificial ingredients just to make money. I don’t understand those companies. I mean, they know cats are going to eat that food and they still make it poorly just for their own profit. Shame on them!

Anyway, some of the brands are really good and they provide high-quality food for cats. Whiskas, 9Lives and Canidae are the bright examples.