Hello dear cat owners. I am writing this post because I need to hear your experiences about feeding senior cats. I am feeding my cat with canned products since she was just a kitten till recently,  but now when she is “categorized” as a senior cat I am not sure is it a good idea to continue feeding her with canned food.

My boyfriend is telling me that I should stop feeding her that way because those products aren’t so healthy and her digestive and immune systems are not strong as they were.

So please share your experiences related to this topic. Thank you in advance. :)

Hi.

Well, your boyfriend has a good point. You should take more care about feeding her now when she is older. However, this doesn’t mean you should totally cut off the canned foods.

There are some very good brands of canned food and you can continue to feed your cat with them.

Another thing I want to share is the fact that dry food is better for senior cats than wet food. Pay attention to this when you buy food for her. By feeding her with this kind of food she will have fewer problems with teeth and gums.

Also, you can make her some homemade treats - those are healthier than canned for sure. :)

From my experience, you can continue feeding your cat canned food but with a few slight changes.

You need to give her premium formulas which are more expensive, but way better quality than low or even medium formulas. It would be a good idea to feed her various flavors, not just one, because cats like to eat fish-flavored foods which can be of suspicious quality.

Vets are recommending that you give your senior cat Vitamin B1 and Vitamin E supplements with canned food.

Is your cat overweight? That can be a nasty side-effect of feeding canned food, so you need to pay attention how much calories she is having every day. 

Hey. I must say that I totally agree with your boyfriend. I mean, I don’t feed my cat with canned food, that is why I am on your boyfriend side :) There are so many different canned foods on the market for cats. I mean, I just want to say that I am not saying that you should stop feeding your cat with canned food, if you are in hurry you can give this food to your cat, but don’t do this so often. I don’t have a lot of experience with canned food, because I am giving raw food to my cat. 

Hey there. I don’t have a cat, but my neighbor has one. She told me today that over the years most vets recommended dry cat chows. Vets noticed that cats, who eating dry food tend to have cleaner teeth, no gum disease and little problem with obesity.  So, if you want to feed your cat with canned food, make sure that you are buying dry food, because this is something good. On the other side, you should not force canned food, because prepared or raw food is always better choice. So, I have to say that I agree with your bf as well :)

Hey there. Let me join this conversation. You already probably know that I am on the side of the raw food for pets. I have a dog, but I do agree with your boyfriend. Feeding your cat with canned food all the time can’t be so good thing, and I am pretty sure that you already know this. My mother is older lady now, and she doesn’t have a lot of time and will to prepare food for her cat. So, she decide to give some canned food to her cat. She was feeding her cat three months with canned food, and I have notice that she was really bad latterly. She went to see the vet and he told her that canned food can be an option, but not something that you should give your cat every day. 

Yes, that is true. I think that everyone should consider to cut out canned food, you can feed your cat with canned food only when you don’t have so much time, or when you are in hurry. But, raw food is definitely a good choice. I know that my friend had senior cat and soon he realized that he needs to cut giving her canned food. So, he did it and his cat was much healthier. I don’t know is this the main reason, but I think that canned food doesn’t have so much nutritions like other, fresh groceries.

Anybody else here with similar experience? 

Hello everyone. My cat is also categorized as “older” so I understand what you’re talking about. Listen, there are no dramatic changes in your cat’s menu, you just need to pay more attention to the quality of food you are giving her. For example, you really shouldn’t buy her the cheapest canned foods because they are rarely good. Another thing, you should avoid canned foods which are rich in proteins and sodium.

As you may know, some manufacturers have a special “senior” line of canned cat foods. Those products are a bit more expensive but they are really good for older cats. I am using senior line of this brand my cat loves and I am very satisfied.

Hello guys.

I have three cats and one of them can be considered as "the senior cat". I don’t like that because I still remember when she was just a kitten... But that's the life I guess. 

Anyway, I feed all of my cats with raw food which I prepare specially for them. I know how healthy this food is for them so I don't find that exhausting. 

Also, I feed my older cat with canned food especially made for senior cats. I personally think that Purina senior line is the best on the market so I buy it even though it's the most expensive one.