Hello everyone.

Yesterday was my birthday and my father gave me the best present ever- a puppy. :) I am so happy. He is so cute and I feel like that girl in a cartoon “He is so fluffy I’m gonna die”. :)

Anyway, I am not so experienced in having pets so I need some help from you guys when it comes to the foods I should give to my puppy. One friend of mine told me that I need to give him high protein foods because he needs proteins for growing.

Do you have any advice how to choose high protein foods that are really high quality?

Hey there. Yes, that is really the best present ever. There are only few things in the world cutter than a puppy. So I totally understand you. :)

Well, your friend is right. Puppies really need high protein foods because their organs, tissues and everything else is not formed yet and proteins are like ''the body makers” in a way. :)

When it comes to your question, there are a couple of good ways to choose the best brands of high protein foods. First of all, you can ask your friends for a recommendation. Another good way is the one you have already used to post this question- internet of course. Make some researches. ;)

Definitely try high protein food for your puppy. But, there are a lot of different ways how to choose high – quality high protein dog food. I totally agree that you should ask your friend for advice, because I think that she knows a lot about the dogs and their way of eating :) When it comes about choosing the right food, people from the pet shops can help you in this. They are pretty much well educated about this. You can consult your vet, again, and you can ask some pet nutrition about this. I didn’t know that they even exist, but they do :) And, they can help you a lot.

Happy birthday! You didn’t tell us what kind of dog you got for a present. Is it a small or large breed?

Anyway, the answer to your question is a bit complex. The puppies grow at rapid rate and they need many proteins. I know that vets recommend giving puppies dry complete foods and I totally support that, but keep in mind to avoid “premium” dry foods as they tend to have low-quality ingredients (chicken, rice, corn).

If your puppy does not seem to like eating dry complete food, try soaking the food in a bowl of warm water to soften it a bit.

You can feed him dry food until he’s old enough for homemade raw food. Do this and you’ll get one healthy friend for life.

Orijen puppy! That is my choice for puppy food. I fed my corgi with it for several months and I am thrilled how everything came up. Corgi’s digestion was great and his coat was soft like a blanket.

If you read ingredients list, you will see that Orijen puppy contains cage free turkey and chicken, along with eggs and wild-caught walleye and herring (manufacturers are saying that they all are raised and fished in their region). Their food is low-glycemic and it helps in proper development of dog’s muscle mass and strengthening his immune system which is another great thing about Orijen puppy.

I think you cannot be wrong if you chose it for your puppy.

Best of luck!

Hey there. First, happy birthday :) It is really good present, actually, it is not a present, it is a friend :) I am happy for you.

I would recommend you high protein grain free adult dog food chicken and chickpeas recipe. Sometimes, I was giving this to my puppy, when he was two or three months ago. This one will give your dog very good nutrition’s that are totally natural. This food is low glycemic dog food that is made with carbos like chickpeas and split peas and real chicken to provide steady energy. It has a lot of omega 6 – fatty acids. 

I am so happy when I see that a new dog owner is interested in dog's nutrition and ready to educate what is the best for their pets. So, generally speaking, high protein food is the best choice, but you should be careful there. Not every high protein food is good, and too much of proteins isn't healthy as well. For example, you should try to give your puppy as much of whole, raw and natural food, it's the best for their body and they love it the most. Also, you should avoid giving them soy. It is a protein, but not that good for them.

Yes, I totally do agree that you should make food for him, and the raw food is definitely the best option, but because this pet is something new for you ( I think that this is your first dog, am I right?), you should find a lot of advice and tips about this food, how to make it, what your dog should eat. I am not for canned food, but if you are new at this, it can help you to learn a lot about the dog’s food, before you cook for him. You need to learn what are the good proteins, and which one you should avoid. 

Here is how.

First you make sure you are buying a well known brand that has a long tradition. Usually the low quality brands don’t last long. So before you decide to buy a specific brand, google it up. 

Pay attention to the label on the back and to the list of ingredients. It’s important that the food doesn’t consist any bad additives, artificial colors and stuff like that. 

And don’t expect to pay a small price for high quality foods. Well known brands have they prices pretty high for high protein foods. It is usually worth it, your dog will be healthy.

I totally agree with every single post in here :) I am always trying to buy a good and approved, quality food for my dog. Brands with a log tradition are my choice as well, so I am pretty sure that you can never make a mistake in this choice. But, I am always willing to pay more money for some good and quality food, because I know that I won’t make a mistake as well. Always, but always read the ingredients. I think that you can always try with pedigree and I am sure that later you will learn what is the best for your dog :)

I don’t know about the others, but I can talk about my experience with choosing food for my Leo. There are few things that I keep in mind while choosing. First of all, if some food consists any artificial ingredients like sulfates, conservers, additives and so on, than it can’t be on my list. I always opt for 100 percent natural foods and brands that use natural protein source.
I have a few friends that have had dogs for more than ten years. So I usually ask them for advice when I decide to change my dog’s food, they usually know best.