Hi. I wanted to ask you a question since I am a new cat owner. I don’t really know much about proper cat care, but I am trying to learn. And I am doing well so far. There are only a couple of things left that I need to find out. I have a friend who have had a cat for 11 years, so she helps me a lot. The only thing that she told me to find out on my own is which canned food is the best for my cat. So, can you give me any advice? What’s the best canned food?

I don’t know if your cat is picky when it comes to food. I know that sometimes cats are so stubborn and that makes it harder to find an adequate food for them. 

I’ve tried 11 different types with my youngest cat so far. He is very picky and he only wants to eat two of them. And those two aren’t really my best choice since I think that some other brands have better formula.

He now eats only Petguard. 

Maybe if your cat is not so picky, you should try Primal. I think Primal is great, some of the ingredients are organic. 

It is hard to tell, because cat can be hard sometimes when it comes about the food. There are a lot of different manufacturers that can offer different canned food. Even vets were discussing about this, trying to find the best solution for cats. But, sometimes it is hard to tell because all canned foods contain usually high amount of water, and that can be critical for urinary tract. The proteins in canned food also can be higher in animal based protein, and that means that it can contain most dry good. Now, because I really don’t know what is the best that I can say, I will tell you to read ingredients!

I had a cat a few years ago. She was really picky when it comes about canned food. It was difficult for me to choose the right one.  You should try halo spot’s stew wholesome chicken recipe. This is not expensive, and ingredients are – packs chunks of chicken, chicken liver, turkey, you have vegetables as well – zucchini, carrots, green peas, green beans. Of course, no grains. This is the only canned food that my cat was eating. She was really healthy. Maybe you should try this one as well, you can order it from the internet as well but I believe that you can find it in the pet shops as well. 

I’ve heard about Primal. I read a couple articles about it and it seems that they really use quality ingredients. Some of them are in fact organic, but the meat is not. Despite that, I would buy it, but I can’t find it in the local pet shop.  Do you have any other suggestions? I’ve never heard of Petguard.

My cat is not at all picky. He is just like many dogs, he eats almost whatever I give him. He loves banana. When he sees me eating it, he jumps and sits in my lap until I give him to lick it. Then he is happy.:)

Hahahah I thought my cat is the only one who is doing the banana thing. She sits in front of me and if I ignore her she starts scratching my leg until I offer her my banana. :D And then she eats it very slowly, I usually get bored and I put it on the ground for her to eat it. But then she starts scratching me again because she wants me to hold it for her.:) How can you not love them.
As for the food, my suggestion is definitely Halo's Spots Stew for Cats - Chicken Flavor. My cat loves it.

Primal has my recommendation, too!

I really didn’t know that cats are so difficult when it comes to food. We tried numerous brands of canned cat food until we discovered Primal. Accidentally, I must add. It was on the sale in the supermarket where we are buying our groceries so we just gave a shot with it. Next thing you know, our cat loved it. It was very liberating to finally solve that problem.

Although, we sometimes mix Primal with some other brand of canned food and that don’t have any impact on our cat’s appetite. The mixture usually consists of 2/3 of Primal and 1/3 of other brand. 

Cats can be really difficult in food sometimes. But, my sister Samantha has this cute, little cat, Amy, and she is not picky at all. She eats everything, I remember that one day, she started to eat all tomatoes that were on the table, and my sister wanted to use them for her lunch. She is really crazy and silly cat, but my sister insists to give her canned food. Primal is actually a great option, it has all that you can needs. She is using Primal for a few months now, but sometimes, when she can’t find Primal in the pet shops, she is buying Whiskas. You can never go wrong with it, right? 

Hello. 

I saw that you commented about owning the dog. One thing is very important to remember and that is that cats’ nutrition is very different than dogs’. Cats are primarily carnivores and they must eat meat.

Always check ingredient list on the can and consult your vet what your cat needs (wet or dry food). The next step is consummation; if your cat doesn’t have any GI problems (such as diarrhea or similar) after eating it, you are good to go.  

In other case, prepare to have a hard time. If your cat won’t eat something, you mustn’t starve him/her. A cat can refuse to eat even if that means harm to him/her. So, be patient and experiment until you find the right food for your kitty.