Hello everyone. I am feeding my cat with raw food and the food that I prepare at my home. I usually avoid canned food, even if I have some good brands and I am using that food, but that is not so often. But, for two weeks I was at vacation, and I left my cat at my mom’s place. She informed me about everything, it was just like I was there. I didn’t want to make anything difficult for my mom, so I bought canned food. But, when I came back home, my cat had diarrhea. She never had diarrhea. Do you think that canned food for cats can cause diarrhea? 

Maybe, especially if you bought wet canned food. This is a common problem, and a lot of cats have to struggle with it. Many times, diarrhea will resolve on its own, but when this happened to me, I took my cat to the vet. He told me that I should give her plenty of fresh water all day. Also, I was feeding her with cooked rice mixed with canned food – because he told me to do so, So, I am not sure is canned food guilty for your cats diarrhea. I was healing diarrhea with canned food.
Good luck and don’t worry.

Hello.

A canned food is just one of the possibilities. The most common causes are parasites and infections, so you need to take her to the vet for a check-up.

But, if you are firmly suspecting on canned food, check out its ingredient. If it is a wet food, try feeding your cat with dry food for a few days and see what will happen. If cat’s stool firm up, you were right.

I had similar issues with wet canned food in the past, but it all depends from cat to cat. Anyway, don’t skip vet’s visit. And try introducing your cat some canned food, as well.

Hey. It doesn’t have to be, but again, it can be. It really depends from numerous factors, all you need to do is to check ingredients, and maybe there are some ingredients that are not so good for your cat. Second thing, what food are you using? Wet or dry? A lot of cats just can’t stand eating wet food, for a lot of reasons. You should visit a vet if this is not stopping. Maybe the reason is totally different, maybe the food is not main cause of diarrhea?

You should tell us more things about this problem….It is hard to tell this way! 

Well, it is possible. First thing you should do is to check expiration date on the can you gave to your cat. Maybe the food wasn’t good.

You should also stop feeding your cat with that brand of food for some period of time and use some other type of food.

I don’t know are you using that specific brand of canned food regularly or you bought it for the first time. If you are using it regularly than I don’t believe it is the reason of your cat’s diarrhea. There are a lot of factors that can cause those problems. The most common cause is bowel infections. In this case you should bring your cat to vet and he will give you some medications to put in your cat’s food.

Hello. Thank you. But, the date was totally ok, I think that expires in 2016, and that is a little bit far away. Now, you are right – I bought wet food for the first time. Maybe this was the main reason? I am not sure. I haven’t told you that is true. She had really strong diarrhea for the first three days, and later she had diarrhea, but it was not that bad. Today, she still has it, but she is ok. Should I take her to the vet? One friend told me that I should not be worried, but I don’t know…I am not sure! 

Maybe the reason is the fact that your cat’s digestive system is not used to the wet foods because (If I understood correctly) you are giving her dry food all the time.

If that is the reason then it is nothing serious and you shouldn’t be worried because your cat will be ok very fast. That is the best case scenario and I really hope it is just that.

On the other hand, I would also recommend you to take her to the vet. He will see what is the cause of diarrhea and he will explain you what to do. I also think he will prescribe her some medications.

Well, honestly, I do. Recently, two of my friends complained that their cats got diarrhea and they are both petty sure that the cause is canned foods. I don’t have a cat so I can’t be sure but I assume that some of the companies which are producing canned cat food use low-quality ingredients which can harm cat’s digestive system. Another possibility is that cats are sensitive to the change of eating habits. Namely, both of my friends used to feed their cats with homemade food for a long time and then changed to canned food. I don’t know a true reason but I am totally against all canned foods.