Ok, here we go, just like most people, I started out taking a vicodin here and there. Very soon after that, I started taking OC's, snorting and smoking them. I was hitting those pretty hard, and eventually moved to black tar heroin, I smoke that too. In the past couple of months the amount I do has increased rediculously and so has the withdraw when I'm without. I'm going to start trying to get off of this stuff and needed this read and to be able to open up and be able to admit to SOMEONE that I have a problem. I'm withdrawing right now and I'm trying some of these home remedies, hopefully they work! Thanks!!

Guys I feel for you I know what your going through I started taking vicodin for pain then it ended up were I was Taking 20 in a day and I ran out alot and I could not take it anymore it makes you a slave so to speak but then I found suboxone and it is helping me alot I am almost off them and then I am done for ever if you find the right doctor like I did you never run out I mis counted once and ran out and all I had to do was get his office to page him and he called in more but that was my Falt because when they give it to you you have extra then you need and if you save it back for Emergency or something you will be ok but anyway it really works and just take your time dont rush it or you will end up going back to the reason you need them good luck and to let you know I heard Kratom its an herb that is said to feel like a Opiate but as far as herbal things that help thats all I have heard :-)

Hi Bryceb77
How are you doing with the detox? Did you end up sticking with your plans? I would think someone with the history of yours - high dependency and high methadone doses etc should trry something to bridge you. Maybe subutex (not suboxone) initially.. I say this only becuase I have tried to be clean with nothing to hold me and well let's say it did not work for a long time. I kept relapsing, 6mths afterwards etc. Just understand that sometimes one of these opiate agonist-antagonists can be better than nothing - at least you are not shooting up and you can get stable.
Interested to see how you go. See my other posts/replies if you want to know my story. Good luck, really.

I've read several boards this week concerning withdrawal and this is the first time I have posted. I'm on day 5 of withdrawal from a two year addiction to opiates. I used everything from poppy seed tea to IV hydromorphone. I decided I wanted to start the New Year clean. I have a great wife and two amazing children, and I want to be free of the opiate fog for myself and for them. So I decided to go cold turkey........f**k me.

Day 1.... anxiety about the withdrawal to come was the worst. Restless legs started around noon. Decided to drink a few beers to help...it didn't, actually made the RLS worse. By the evening my heart was beating out of my chest....chills.....goose flesh......stomach cramps.....and no sleep. Hell.

Day 2.... f*****g shoot me. Everything hurts...my heart is beating so fast and hard. Stomach cramps so bad...took Imodium...stopped the diarrhea but made the cramps worse...took benadryl..made me sleepier than I already was...but I can't sleep....I searched the house for ANYTHING opiate related...didn't find anything...now I feel horrible for looking...I wish I was dead. Watch "Intervention" on A&E, helped my spirits but the sickness is growing stronger. NO SLEEP.

Day 3.... God will this ever end? By noon was able to walk around the house a bit. Everybody calling about "NEW YEARS". No way I could party...drink..anything. How much longer? The nausea eased quite a bit by noon...stomach cramps continue though. My heart beats so damn hard in my chest I think I'm gonna have a stroke. The restless legs are unbearable. God I can't believe I've put myself in this position. I'm a smart guy...why....the anxiety is at its peak. Happy F***** New Year. Got about three hours sleep though.

Day 4.... Holy Hell, actually in a good mood. Still achy all over...still got stomach cramps...heart still pounding, but my mood has lifted a bit. By noon feeling good...actually went outside and worked on my car. Keep myself busy. By evening not feeling to bad, though the symptoms remain they are all less in intensity. Drank some "Sleepy Time" tea....actually helped relax me. Got about four hours sleep.

Day 5.... Still feel shitty, but not too bad. Feels like a mild hangover at this point. Stomach still cramping.... but mentally clear enough to type this. Hoping I feel better tomorrow....planning to get some exercise today to get my mind off this. Praying everyone who is sincere in quitting makes it through....

I hope this helps someone.....if not, it has helped me! Thanks to all for their post!

I read your post very helpful.....I'm wd from opiates "again" I have been trying to get clean on and off for a few months now. I always go back to using can never get passed day 3. I want to do it this time I want my old self back. I feel OK and I'm at 26 hrs clean I have had diarrhea and a headache thats about it no rls god I hope that stays away. I'm in the same boat great Husband great kids why or how did I end up like this I got way to used to the super mom feeling lol I would use vicodin,percocet,norco How are you doing?

i feel sooo 'bad for this guy 'quit cold turkey 6 days'. What & how much were u on? 1st advice is stay far from methadone clncs i wasted/lost 4 years in that vicious circle (150mg a day). I came down 5MG A DAY then i found suboxone which was a blessin...i feel the same as i did on 150mg mthdone, it seems like a large dose but after years on being on it there was no 'buzz' anymore. I want to know how ur doing & did u ever think of trying suboxone? Good luck

Im 26 and have had two surgeries in my hand, havent worked in 4 years because im in pain constantly, and I finally accepted Oxycontin after 2 years of declining to take them. I thought things were good for the first week, because I actually did things and could sort of use my hand again. After they would wear off, I could really tell I was overdoing things with my hand as it would get really sore. The doctor gives me 180 5 mg oxy a month and I run out early every time by like 9 days or so. I feel dependant on these pills to almost have no determination to do anything. Now it seems like I have no determination, untreated pain and a severe addiction to the painkillers. I have been with my girlfriend since we were teenagers and she is now a professional and I have lost everything to my injury, I know it is not my fault, but I am starting to feel very weird. I have everything a person could have but I feel very miserable and want to be happy and pain and pill free.

Hey all just wanted to share my experience with opiates devestating my life and how I took charge and changed things. I was using tramadol (which i know everyone says isn't that bad) but when you take 15 pills at a time your habit has got you. Through my two year addiction i lost my house, my job, and finally my wife. Needless to say my life was ruined. I decided i needed to get back to my old self. Withdrawal is hell on earth but here are a few remedies that helped me:

-Immodium (a must!)
-Crannberry juice
-Bannana's
-Boost protien drink (when you can't hold down solid food)
-Vitamin B, and I bought an anti-oxident vitamin pack
-Meletonin for sleep and its a great anti-oxident

basically sticking to this made the withdrawal not that bad...I exercised when I was able, and don't drink alchohol...you may think it will help but its just more junk to make your liver work harder. by day 5 i was almost back to my old self. Hang in there you can do it! Just know many others out there are going through the same thing...your not alone!

God Bless.

I have suffered from a serious opiate addiction. I started taking methadone through the local clinic . I started on 30 mgs and went up to 120 mgs that held me for about 5 months. I decided it was time to do something. I started to taper. I found that tapering at a moderate speed is the best way to go. I have started to ride my bike,walk,run,taking vitamins and whatever else i could do to get into shape. I figured i might as well prepare for the withdrawls by getting my body in shape. I'm down to 40 mgs on a weekly taper of 5 mgs. Detoxing off of opiates just takes time. You cant sit around and drive yourself crazy ,dwelling over it . We didnt get like this over night.So its gonna take some time. Exercise is key . At least for me . I fill so much better at the end of day. Lots of hot baths , soaking in epsom salt, a good sleeping aid like Unisom.Don't get me wrong i still have minor withdrawls. I've learned to cut my losses and deal with it straight up. YOU HAVE TO BE STRONG! YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR LIFE BACK. Take yor recovery seriously and let nothing come between where you want to be. Opiates are the biggest monkey on the back. We ALL know that its gets WORSE before it gets BETTER and u can take that to the bank. There is really no way around withdrawls just ways to make them less potent. To sum all this up . Get in shape ,take vitamins, get some good sleeping meds (non-narcotic) , Lots of hot baths,A good positive attitude,Exercise and try to always surround yourself with supportive people.I have found that while your still getting high you might as well get in shape and prepare yourself for your time to detox. YOU HAVE TO BE READY FOR HELL!!!!!!!!I have been doing all this and i am pulling through. Its sucks but I promise you it could be worse .I'm just thankful to be alive and not be a victim of an overdose.

Hey Everyone.. I was the "GUEST" that posted on Jan 2....was on day 5 at the time. Just wanted to say I made it through the acute withdrawals. I still have the occasional goose flesh and I'm still not sleeping like I used to (then again I was using a c**p load of opiates to sleep..so what is normal?), but I'm feeling much better. I have had quit a few cravings today...from everything I've read it sounds like PAWS....post acute withdrawal symptoms. Still have trouble with racing thoughts from time to time and have this weird feeling of longing...like waiting for your spouse or friend to get home from a long trip... its like i'm waiting for that euphoric escape to arrive at any second at my door. It is so sick, I know, but I miss that feeling so bad...that momentary feeling of complete contentedness. I don't miss the side effects though, so I'm trying to stay strong. Here is a TMI moment guys, but my libido is raging now..lol, so I try to stay focused on the benefits of being clean. Good luck to everyone......it is possible to get clean without additional drugs or rehab....but it is hard and very lonely at times. Also, please don't feel like your suffering is divine.... it doesn't matter how much or how long you've been doing this....it is possible....BTW, I used an average of 16mg of IV hydromorphone daily, or an equivalent opiate, for over two years.

Peace and prayers to all.

Hi. Day one and I am dying. The chills and restless legs are the worst. I feel like I am so sick and I know what it is. I'm coming off a 2o pill a day habit for a long time. I don't even know what to write. I lost my wife (not a huge loss, mind you - ask anyone) in major part to this. I got very drunk on our honeymoon and cracked my head in a Mexican swimming pool and needed 20 stitches. That was 2001 and I have been a whack job since. I have a demanding job and need to kick this. I don't know if I'm whining or seeking solace here. I just feel better after reading some of these stories. I feel worse than I ever have and it just started. I feel for all of you, in ways stronger than I feel for people I have known for years. We are sharing something that a non user cannot comprehend.

I started taking vicodin, norco, percocet, right after I stopped breastfeeding my daughter to "lose the baby weight." Pathetic I know, tell me about it. Lets just say this... I lost the baby weight (and some) but now I have something much worse, a pill addiction. The town I come from is chalk full of pill addicts, so its easy to get your hands on any kind of pill. I started out taking maybe 3 or 4 a day, then it quickly rose to 15-20 a day, and I'm a small woman, 106 lbs. maybe. I loved that feeling of being so happy. My life was perfect, a great husband, an amazing baby girl, time off from work... I always thought I'd only take them for a little while and I'd never have a problem getting off of them. My husband had been taking them for years and always told me not to get started, that I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I only wish I would have listened. I've tried to detox two or three times now. I lowered my dose back down to 5 or 6 a day and definitely felt much better. I was never foggy anymore at least. Well, this is day 1 of this attempt to kick opiates and compared to the others its going quite well actually. For me I get really bad leg cramps, stomach aches, diarrhea, and anxiety. Today hasn't been bad, I took a nap with my 6 month old, woke up feeling much better. I think showers help A LOT!!! If I could stand in the shower all day I would... nothings worse than feeling like complete sh*t while you're tiny baby is looking up at you with big eyes wanting to play. How did I let this happen? I never understood how people got so dependent on drugs, now I know. The shitty thing is that these are drugs prescribed to people by the government and they're just as bad as the ones people "cook" up in their basements. I don't get it... my husband is trying along side of me to quit. Like I said its day 1 and we're both "okay." He's at work so that's really saying something... I think it would be much easier to sleep the days away but I'm a mommy and a wife and I'm just not able to do that. I have to push through and know that there is much worse things in life than this. Every time I start to feel a little worse I tell myself don't think about it, get through it, smile, keep your head up and push through. These posts have been helpful and show me that it isnt just me and my husband out their struggling. Good luck to everybody who is trying to kick opiates. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope we all make it through :-)

i can feel for all of you. im also coming off a 30 norco/day habit. after so long, i couldn't get out bed without anything. i kept 6 norcos and a glass of water on my nightstand so it was the first thing i did when i woke up. then i moved on to oxycontin.. did that for a while, and came to the realization that prescription painkillers weren't doing it for me anymore (and were too expensive) so i got on heroin for a week. after losing my job and getting kicked out of my home over it i realized it was my time to stop. 4 days clean now and yes its hard as hell but i know its all worth it. imagine an addiction free life, and having your old self back. 4 days does seem like a long time but i know it will pass if i have the determination. just as it shall for all of you. ive realized the only way i can stay off is if i get away from everything, because i am surrounded by it. friends, family, almost everyone i know is on opiates. so ive decided to join the marines to keep me away from the temptation. ..stay strong, for this is all BEATABLE... as crazy as it sounds hahaa

I will make this short, I have been taking percocet for 5 years now and I know I am now only taking it to get high and avoid withdrawls. I dont think my body can take it anymore. I am sure the long term damage will be significant and I really hate myself for that cause my daughters will grow up without me. I recently seen the doctor and all tests show I am fine. However I failed to mention that I take approximately 10-12 pills a day. That might not seem like alot, however that dose is usually in 1 hour. I have taken as many as 25 in a day. Whatever I can afford. I dont feel like I have self control becuase if there there I take em and fast. I really need to stop but am afraid at that rate a sudden detox could ultimately end my life. I dont want to go into detox beacuse of my Job i would definately loose it. The other concern is when I go 1 or 2 days w/o taking pills my judgment and mind processes are so skewed from what reallity is that I dont know. My mind is deppendent on the drugs. So my ultimate question is I guess is how long does the brain take after stopping to return to normal. How can I beat the phycoligical side effects. I am strong enough to go through the physical but w/o asking for someones help is threre a way to do it.

I recently got involved in taking Lortab 10 every day. It started out with 8 or 10 every 2 weeks, then everyday. I am a student in the medical field and feel very disappointed in myself. It was so easy to stay up and study and completely took away the chronic pain in my lower back and legs. Well, I received a phone call from a friend that one of my family members robbed an old man that he was getting our pain pills from. I couldn't believe it, he had obviously gotten in way over his head. Now I am afraid that I will be drug into the picture to do some informing or some c**p. Anyway, I told my fiancee what I had been doing, "she may never love me again :-( She acts ok sometimes and today is a good day. I cannot concentrate on my studies and will have to get a medical pass for the first test.

Anyway... I had experienced small withdrawals before and weren't afraid of them, 2 days of blah and your fine. This time the first three nights I had to go sleep on the sofa b/c I was flailing around like a fish. Cramped over, even slept sitting straight up some. That was hell that I will never experience. Oh yeah I forgot to mention after getting the phone call reality hit me and I chucked all pill out the window, DONE!!! Now I am on day 7 and can only hope that my school doesn't find out and I can keep my fiancee whome I love more than anything. I will never ever, ever get on this stuff again. It took me at least 7 days to get even out of the clouds, faking the flu for the most part. Ashamed doesn't even touch the way I feel about myself right now. In 2 days I will have to go back to work and face life sober, "first time in 2-3 months." I went to the Doctor too and he gave me clonidine and Robitussin DM. Clonipine gave me the runs and turned me into a zombie and I didn't get the Robitussin filled. He went off on a tangent about how I would no doubt screw up again, and drop out of school and so what if I loose my woman, "plenty more." He recommended an inpatient rehab, which I have no desire to take another pill and feel like this again. If anybody reads this wish me luck and the pills aren't worth neglecting and disappointing the people you love the most. I wish all of you luck! It just takes time, only 7 days for me and I am sure I could do a days work now. I just want my woman to keep the ring I put on her finger by the river last summer night....