My 17 year old daughter just informed me that she had sex with her boyfriend 2 weeks ago. I'm shocked, heart broken, angry, confused, numb. I know the hormones are going crazy as we all have been there before, but this is my baby and I'm not ready for this, any advice on how to get thru and past this?

Hi guest,

One thing to consider is that she did tell you.  At least you know the truth.

Many parents live in denial.  Now that you know you can do your best to make sure she is safe.

You'll be OK and so will she.

Good luck.

Health Guru
Hi, look at it this way at least you have a sensible daughter that has waited until she is 17 to have sex for the first time and told you about it unlike some girls that think they know all there is to know about sex and then worry after because they think there pregnant at the age of 13 to 14.
Just because your daughter has had sex with her boyfriend doesn't mean she will stop being your little girl because that will never change between mother and daughter :-)

Babies grow up and do grown up things and mature things before we are ready for them to move on to them. Before you know it she is going to be moved out and you will be in 'empty nest' syndrome and have bigger fish to fry then, worry about bigger things than these little things or you will be always worrying about something mundane your whole life. Live yours to the fullest and let your children grow up and live their lives so they can make their own mistakes too.

I think it is wonderful that she is sharing that with you.  I recently found out that my 15 year old daughter was doing sexual things with her boyfriend and was not really shocked, they have not had full intercourse but we have talked about it and she has said she wants to.  

As the father of four girls I was of course feeling very sad, but I realized that I can't make her think that it is a bad thing to have these feelings.  I have explained that I was disappointed in the location that she chose to do these things and did not talk to me sooner abou it.  

She may decided to move forward with or without my approval even though she has told me she wants my approval now.  I just make sure that she knows no matter what she has done or will do, I will always love her and support her.