I've been going out with my boyfriend for 9 months ,(10 months on the 23rd) we're not sexually active (that's not important) but i want to tell my mum about my relationship she constantly tells me that i shouldn't have a boyfriend and that I'm not allowed but i really like him and think we're serious. I'm 16 in November and hes 17 in October and would really like him to meet my family and so would he considering I've met all his family and are quite close with them. i really want this especially because we're thinking about actually having sex (not foreplay) and i would be more comfortable if my mum approved. i don't talk to my mum about these things its more of a yes no i wont do it conversation and would be too nervous to confront her about it i don't know what to do and the only person that has a hint about anything is my sister who has heard and talked to him but has not met him and is not 100% aware that we're going out

The best thing todo is introduce him as soon as possible to your family.

Things you can do to make the situation less awkward;

1) Just bring him over to your house one day as a friend or someone your studying with.

2) At least talk about him, your mum should know some history.

3) You really shouldn't be having sex as soon as you turn 16. Hence, nothing to worry about!

Good luck!

Just tell them.

I'm really sorry, The Optimist- are you a boy or a girl? Do you mean 'come-out' as in tell your parents you're gay or 'come-out' as in tell your parents you're dating someone?

I don't expect it matters greatly in the advice I'm going to give you, but I suppose your parents acceptance of homosexuality may have an effect on how your parents react to your 'coming-out' ,if you're gay.

Be straight with them, but don't blast them with your boyf. Introduce him when no one else is there. If you break the news to them when there is an audience of their nearest & dearest- any objections they have against him may be challenged by others.

Let them have their say and don't get dragged in to an argument. Then tell them you've been dating very slowly for the past 10 months (tbh, this is a good achievement at your age- well done!)- and that you've both been respectful and sensible and have every intention of keeping it that way until you are both ready for the consequences.

And keep to your word. If you make promises to your parents (for ex; not seeing your boyf when you should be studying)- keep to them. Going behind their back, disobeying their rules, etc- it only shows them that you are not ready for a relationship. Then they will object to you having a boyfriend.

Remember- this one may the first of many. You have years of boyf vs parents drama to come. I guarentee it!

V

I am a girl; Thank you for everyone taking time out to help me . im planning on bringing him to my house this Saturday to meet my parents ,firstly as a friend and then move on from there :)

thank you once again