My dog has always been relatively healthy, and when he has had to go to the vet, it has been for fleas, and worms. Thankfully we have had no serious health problems and my dog has never had antibiotics. I was reading on a forum for dog owners that dogs are prescribed antibiotics quite often though. I was wondering what the side effects are of antibiotics in dogs?

My dog is very old now - 14 years old. She had infected ovaries five years ago, and kept on bleeding. She was obviously in a lot of pain too. We tried medication, but she had to have an operation in the end. She was given different medication, among which antibiotics. Of course, she was sick for a while, but there was no way to tell whether it was from the antibiotics or her health condition. I did notice that she was a lot happier after the operation, though.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that happened to your dog! The poor thing, that must have been tough on her. Of course antibiotics are needed in case of an operation, I had not even thought of that. Are dogs prescribed antibiotics as often as people are, then? Sometimes I think we love our pets more than ourselves :-)