Hi. I still have the same situation with my cat. Her anal glands are causing us troubles and this time I’d say it’s been rather painful for her. My vet says it’s ok, but I don’t think it is. Her anal gland is ruptured and I don’t know how to help her. I rely on the medications she gets from the vet to solve her problem. Anyway, I am here to ask you about my other cats. They’re on the same diet as she is so I’m afraid they might have the same problems. Can you tell me what is the best prevention of cat's anal gland ruptures and abscesses?

I’m familiar with anal gland problems.

My cat has never had problems with anal glands but my dogs have. Two of my dogs had a very serious condition. My oldest dog Aron had a ruptured anal gland when I adopted him and my other dog developed that problem later on. I guess I was feeding him wrong.

As for the cats, there are few things you can do to prevent anal gland problems. The most important thing is to take good care of your cat’s eating habits.

She needs to eat more dry food, so that her stools become firm. Anal glands will then empty naturally. 

The same, old, annoying problem. I don’t have a cat, but I can say that I am really familiar with this problem as well. I just know that this can be really painful condition. After you or your vet take care of anal gland, you need to give your cat antibiotics for 15 days, I think. Now, the prevention is the main key to avoid this process. I also believe that eating habits play the main role in this stage of your cat’s life. If you see that your cat might have some anal gland issues, research what is the best diet for this issue. Sometimes eating habits can change your cat health completely. 

Hello.

First of all, I would change your vet if I were you. He said that everything is ok, and you can see the rupture on your cat’s anal glands?! That is ridiculous. She needs treatment as soon as possible.About prevention, the best you can do is to feed your cats according to diet which will increase the bulk of their stool. You can try high-fiber diet (homemade or you can buy canned food in local store or pet shop) or supplements mixed with regular food.

There are some medications which you can use to make your cats’ stool more bulky. Don’t use them if you haven’t consulted with your vet first. 

Your vet told you that everything is ok? He must be blind, because he didn’t saw that your cat has a problem. I mean, that is something that is obvious. I believe that your cat (maybe, I am not an expert) will need good treatment with antibiotics as well. Prevention is always the best key, but sometimes, when we don’t have any experience with it, we don’t know how to prevent it. So, here we are, in situation and anal gland issues. But, don’t worry, good, raw diet program will prevent this problem.  I am sure! And, of course, find another vet. I did the same thing. 

The prevention is very simple. I take care of these things regularly and I’ve never had a problem with my cat’s anal glands.
First of all, cats need to eat whatever makes they stool firmer. Their stools will then make a bigger pressure on the anal glands and as a results, the fluid will come out of the anal glands, naturally.
The second thing you sometimes need to do when you notice your cat’s anal glands are full- is to take your cat to the vet and let him drain your cat’s glands.
That’s pretty much it. Like I said, I’ve been doing this for years, never had a problem.

Hello there. I totally agree that you need to take care of what your cat is eating, every day. Proper menu and proper ingredients will totally prevent cat’s anal gland ruptures and abscesses. Also, it would be nice to check your cat stool sometimes, because it is very important as well. Only by doing it you can see does your cat have some problems or not. If you see any changes in your cat stool, that can be alarming as well. That is one and maybe the best way to prevent this. You don’t want your cat to suffer, right? Observe :)

I don’t know if there is anything that you can do to prevent this. Some cats are just more prone to these problems than the others, and there’s not much you can do about it.

My cat had a perfect diet which was prescribed by a nutritionist. I told him all about her anal gland problems and she told me not to worry and that everything will be ok with her after I start feeding her according to that diet.

I also took her to the vet several times to have her glands drained.

And still, with all this effort, her anal gland got ruptured.