I have been smoking for 40 year's and i quit on November 17, almost a week ago. I went cold turkey and really haven't felt all that bad. I get hungrier than usual and i get a tad moody, but that's part of the process i guess. We just bought a new house that we are totally doing over, Thanksgiving is upon us with Christmas right around the corner and i decide to quit smoking!!!! I probably should have waited until after the holiday's but it's to late now. My husband smoke's and it really doesn't bother me. He said he wouldn't do it in front of me but i told him to go ahead if he want's to. That is part of the test. So he does, it bother's me a little because i like the smell but i don't even take a drag off his cigarette.

I am so proud of me.

Way to go BB!

Good for you Beeb, I didn't know you smoked. It's not easy but it's really worth it, both for your health and the way you feel about yourself later on.

I did it as a present to myself on my 41st birthday. That would be 30 years ago this past April and I've never regretted it. So make it your very own Christmas present to yourself.

For me the nicotine desire went away in a few days, it was the habit stuff that took the long time to get over. My right hand just kept going to my shirt pocket for the pack of fags. I felt like that guy in Dr Strangelove.

I started coughing after I quit which I found out was caused by not having the smoke caressing my airways. The smoke contains it's own form of cough suppressant.

My wife kept on smoking for several years after I quit.

It doesn't bother me when someone lights up near me. I don't automatically desire a ciggy butt. I don't preach to them about it either. I'm not paranoid about second hand smoke. However I don't like what my clothes smell like after I was someplace where people were smoking.

So put on that pink cowboy hat and your spurs and ride that no smoking hoss. I'm proud of ya too.

Hang in there Beeb and keep telling me how it's going.

2 weeks tomorrow...but i sorta cheated. I took a couple drags off my husbands the other day, but haven't since. I got really stressed out for a minute and it made me feel better. Ya right! I got really light headed and started to cough. I'm gonna keep going tho. (not smoking that is)

Good job man! Thats quite the accomplishment!

Well done bb! I have been smoking mostly on than off for 42 years. Stopped a few times...this time (11 days), it has been truly So difficult...shortness of breath, as you may have read on the other threads...I am not seeing a good friend as she smokes and each time I see her, I break my no-smoking. So I am not seeing her for a while. Thanks for sharing your ordeal!! It's good to have company!

How's it going Beeb?

Hey,
I am new to this site ( I'm new to social networking tough) So I apologise if something goes wrong). My husband (partner actually) stopped smoking weed after 30years of doing it! ... We met 14 yrs ago (I never used any drugs) and at first I did not notice... It's difficult to notice if you are good at it. He was so nice and cuddly... No real job tough but because I noticed he's not an average guy I gave him a go. So... I've discovered he smokes dope and takes other drugs but I ignored it because I've met his parents, right? He was trying to find a perfect job etc... I gave him a kick to find a job he loves (now! He is the one and only in his field) cutting things short... He just quid smoking after 30 yrs!
Dope helped him cope with stress through his life... And I did notice, in last few weeks that he has withdrawal symptoms... He obviously denied it (he always knows best)... This is bad because he doesn't know how how to deal with everyday stress...
This is not the end of the story... He does not know how to deal with it (oh thus work referred him to a private "stress" doctor") I don't know either... Sort of only, but please contact me if you have any suggestions.
I am afraid of him now, this is how bad it is.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Keep going.

I smoked for 32 years and decided to stop smoking. My wife still smokes and it doesn't really bother me as we don't smoke in the house.

Anytime to give up smoking is good and with Christmas and your house etc. the time will fly.

My uncle has been smoking for his whole life. And two years ago, he decided to quit and try the laser acupuncture method. He said it reduced his desires for smoking, which greatly helped him to totally give up smoking. He is now living calmer and healthier today without worrying about smoking-related problems.

did you have any health problem due to smoking or stopping i have been in hell since 2009 and stopped for over 4years then started now in total nightmare of excess mucus in thoart blocking whole face and i never smoked for 40 years and not over a few a day i know others who never had any problem and many still smoking older than me who have had cancer and heart attacks and seem to have a better quality of life i am going to live the rest of my life alone in this hell and die of some bloody smokers problem after all the struggle to keep my family together who sorry crying too much just do not understand how some people stop and smoke so long without any ill effects WELL DONE THOUGHT I HAD CRACKED IT TOO DO NOT EVER BE TEMPTED BACK GOOD LUCK